• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies - Rd9 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Its the forwards who really need to have a blinder - if the Reds piggies can get quick ball and fast phase play then the points will come. The backline hasn't looked too bad - Genia could improve a little but he's still the #1 ranked 9 - Cooper has been in great form - CFS could be very dangerous - Taps at 12 with him in the second half could bring some very attractive football. The wings are doing their job.
The forwards need to find that awkward balance in lifting intensity while reducing penalties.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Moore and Sio should be right to play.

To'omua hasnt trained after copping a knock to his knee but if he doesn't play Lealiifano should slot in at 10.

Only other worry is whether Whetton or Staniforth will start.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the pigs just need to take the pass on the run. We will NEVER bend or break the line with one out runners when the pig taking the ball is static when they get it. Stand deeper, pick a line, fucking run and scream for the ball. If Genia wants the Jessica's to play with the pill he'll send it behind the pig.

Players in motion, attract the attention of the defenders which helps create space out wider. It's not hard.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I'm glad Speight is still on the sidelines because with the greenhorn wingers we currently have, I can only imagine the punishment he would have dished out to them.

Dick's reported that S Finger and CFS are back this week, so I'm guessing Albert's being shifted to prop instead of Owen? But do you reward Taps with playing at 12 and CFS at 13 or do you send JJ to ride the pine with CFS outwide.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Steve Walsh........

whoshotmr-burnspart1g.png

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
May as well give up now :(

My reply was to Merrow, he's a Brumbies fan and they've had difficulties with Walsh before.

It's almost unbearable, this shit.

Thank you Hawko, I will try to relay the message to Dick in time about keeping the lads on side. Very astute observations as always, don't want to leave any stone unturned.

The message was not directed at the Reds players but at the Brumbies, who push the ruck rules to the limits. Though I do recall the Reds having problems with some referees this year, their issues seem to have been more widespread.

That said, both teams rate highly on the penalty count per game; so the whistle may be blowing a fair bit this weekend.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
My reply was to Merrow, he's a Brumbies fan and they've had difficulties with Walsh before.

The message was not directed at the Reds players but at the Brumbies, who push the ruck rules to the limits. Though I do recall the Reds having problems with some referees this year, their issues seem to have been more widespread.

That said, both teams rate highly on the penalty count per game; so the whistle may be blowing a fair bit this weekend.

Oh Walsh is going to blow the pea out it, they will probably have to replace the whistle at half time.. He always loved the big screen

T

Tip

I think Steve Walsh is a good referee. Don't get me wrong he's had his fair share of bad games, however to his credit he's a referee who seems to learn from his mistakes and is always improving.
I'd much prefer a whistle happy referee than a referee who puts it in his pocket and watches the game turn into a shitfest.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Steve Walsh is a good referee. Don't get me wrong he's had his fair share of bad games, however to his credit he's a referee who seems to learn from his mistakes and is always improving.
I'd much prefer a whistle happy referee than a referee who puts it in his pocket and watches the game turn into a shitfest.

I actually dont mind him, just given his form against the brumbies in some past games I wonder if he does not like us.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's a simplistic view but I always thought that if a ref wasn't our biggest fan there was only one way to change that. It takes 15 blokes at a time wearing halo's and being respectful without being a dick about it (sucking up).
If someone in your team is out of line, pull them back into line before the ref has to and you will go a long way to getting that precious 'rub of the green'.
EDIT: it's obviously a bit different at Super level but still, doing the above will still help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Walsh is good. You know what you get.

Think he is one ref that will police the constant Brums infringments around the ruck - expect him to yeallow a few of our southern cousins (hopefully)

Reds by 6

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
REDS

1. James Slipper
James Hanson
Greg Holmes
Rob Simmons
James Horwill (C)
Eddie Quirk
Beau Robinson
Jake Schatz
Will Genia (VC)
Quade Cooper
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Anthony Fainga’a
Ben Tapuai
Rod Davies
Ben Lucas

16. Saia Fainga’a (100th Super Rugby game)
Albert Anae
Jono Owen
Ed O’Donoghue
Curtis Browning
Nick Frisby
Mike Harris/Dave McDuling (debut)
Jamie-Jerry Taulagi

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
REDS

1. James Slipper
2. James Hanson
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Beau Robinson
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (VC)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Anthony Fainga’a
13. Ben Tapuai
14. Rod Davies
15. Ben Lucas
16. Saia Fainga’a (100th Super Rugby game)
17. Albert Anae
18. Jono Owen
19. Ed O’Donoghue
20. Curtis Browning
21. Nick Frisby
22. Mike Harris/Dave McDuling (debut)
23. Jamie-Jerry Taulagi
Why the pairing at 22, assuming this is the announced side to play? has Harris got an injury problem?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
A 6/2 bench is probably a good option against the Brumbies but two things worry me about that team sheet.
  1. You would think that on a 6/2 bench you would have Frisby and Harris but Harris is the one bracketed with McDuling.
  2. Two back reserves seems a bit light on when you have both CFS and Lucas starting. :eek:

T

TOCC

A 6/2 bench is probably a good option against the Brumbies but two things worry me about that team sheet.
  1. You would think that on a 6/2 bench you would have Frisby and Harris but Harris is the one bracketed with McDuling.
  2. Two back reserves seems a bit light on when you have both CFS and Lucas starting. :eek:

I think with the team listed they have enough cover for the Inside backs.. CFS can always slide in to 13, Taps to 12, Lucas to 10.. I can only see JJ coming on as a replacement winger, if Lucas is fit he won't be subbed.

Once again I'm surprised that Browning isn't starting, McDuling onto the bench is expected though...

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Harris has an Achilles problem and is being given until game day to prove his fitness. Otherwise McDuling is in.

Seems like we have totally run out fit backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.