• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City - NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Brisbane City Cats - sponsored by Brisbane City Council's city-cat service- in blue and white, the cat mascot is in fact a tiger

MickeyDR

Bob McCowan (2)
@RugbyReg, do you still have fingers in the QRU? If so do you have any inside knowledge on time frames for name/colours/emblems?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@RugbyReg, do you still have fingers in the QRU? If so do you have any inside knowledge on time frames for name/colours/emblems?

awwww, somewhat, but unfortunately no. No inside word on this whatsoever.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Okay fine fair enough, but yes I agree with the consensus here that Brisbane City is fine.

Key points to attract fans:

DO's

• Give it a good name - the fans on GAGR are very connected with the game and their consensus is generally a pretty good indicator of the community. Hint QRU
  • Develop a fan base based around the clubs - getting kids from the BJRU is essential - discount tickets for clubs is the way to do this.
- One of the things that got me into rugby was playing Junior Rugby for Taylor Bridge and our club getting dirt cheap tix to Wallabies v Romania at the '03 WC, Saturday arvo kick off. The atmosphere was great, It was my first Wallabies game live as an 8 year old and I loved it.​

- In short: Sell the tickets at the lowest level that protects holding the game at Ballymore profitable, hold the games on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. With this the ARU could have the Sat arvo NRC games that in season lead in to the 8pm tests in the RC, which is perfect.​
  • My ticket Prices:
D/C Club tickets: Admit 2 (i.e. Dad + Kid) - $15​
Good seats at the stadium between the two 22's: $30 max 35 dollars. These seats can be priced higher, the fans in here are affluent, mature and don't really mind. But don't think you can totally rip them off.​
XXXX Hill - $10. Students can't afford more. Make sure the bar is open and drinks aren't priced at an arm and a leg per beer. If you sell the drinks at less of a premium it creates a better atmosphere because they can get more of them, Better atmosphere leads to more enjoyment, leads to more fans etc.​
Other: $20​
  • Revenue & Expenses (Match Day)
Problem: Does this get you enough revenue to break even / profit? - This would probably make revenue seasonal to team performance. The solution: Save costs on stupid expenses that aren't necessary:​
- Have one/two mascots and not a whole heap of people​
- You don't need to fork out heaps of money for the stewards to have Reds hats on​
- Speaking of Stewards to be honest you really don't need much of them, as a general rule people who go to Rugby games are literate and can find their own seats, it's really not hard.​
- Don't bother with a big screen.​
  • Match Day Experience
- Have an announcer that announces the try scorer, score and teams at the start of the game.​
Other than that, shut the fuck up​
- Don't play atmosphere killing music during general play - this really pisses me off at the moment. At The Brumbies v Reds it was arguably building into the biggest atmosphere of the season and when that atmosphere was about to reach palpable levels some Chinese take off of 'The best of Hans Zimmer' started playing like a 747 Jumbo jet over the loud speakers. No. The best games for atmosphere don't have sponsors and promoters and fake epic music blasting in people's ears.​
- Let the fans create the atmosphere​
  • Transport

- Apparently there is now a footbridge across to access via Wilston station. Have trains running there.​
- Also have buses running from Roma Street​
Don'ts
  • Sponsorship. Do not sell the naming rights to this team. Fine you still want some sponsors and at the end of the day we need sponsors to make this thing run, but don't sell out to naming rights. I think the best sponsorship model in rugby at the moment is the All Blacks who are not known as the AIG All Blacks but have them as jersey sponsors. They cause minimal cringeworthiness and have a great contribution.
I'm happy for people to agree or disagree but isn't it great we have a third tier!! Bring it on

Wilson

David Codey (61)
XXXX Hill - $10. Students can't afford more. Make sure the bar is open and drinks aren't priced at an arm and a leg per beer. If you sell the drinks at less of a premium it creates a better atmosphere because they can get more of them, Better atmosphere leads to more enjoyment, leads to more fans etc.​

This, but based on the trial vs the Rebs they need to open more bars, getting a drink took forever.

MickeyDR

Bob McCowan (2)

This, but based on the trial vs the Rebs they need to open more bars, getting a drink took forever.

I was in the eastern stand for the Rebs trial and had the same problem. Hopefully someone in the QRU has identified little things like that so fans can enjoy themselves from the first kick off.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I was in the eastern stand for the Rebs trial and had the same problem. Hopefully someone in the QRU has identified little things like that so fans can enjoy themselves from the first kick off.

Same problem at the Classic ANZAC match last year. Mate of mine missed half of the second half just getting a beer!

From memory, when they uses to have Super Rugby there they'd have little makeshift bars set up around the place to help with the demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I really like the name Brisbane City Bush Turkeys. The fucking things are everywhere and are somewhat unique to brisbane.

Plus bush turkeys are rugged and plucky - just like the copious quality openside flankers brisbane produces.
In that case how about the 'Brisbane City Ibis'; better known as 'dump chooks'. They are everywhere and tenacious bastards as well!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Pretty sure it wont be an issue. A crowd of 5000 for these games would be great and I'm sure they could make that work. Grand Final day at Ballymore isn't an issue for drinks.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Is anyone else keen for that real amateur, suburban Sunday arvo beers on the hill the NRC should bring?

Reds games have lacked a bit of atmosphere recently, what with all that theatrical music being played over the top of everything combined with a more attrititional style and a championship hangover. Very much looking forward to hitting up the RE or the Normanby or wherever your semi bogan pub of choice may be to down a few bevvies then watch the game.

It might not have 80000 or 30000 fans but imo rugby in it's most beautiful, purist form is that arvo kick off game full of the fans that all want to be there and aren't in a Corporate box talking M&A whilst eating prawn sandwiches

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's the only time you get to experience that glorious smell of deep heat and hamburgers cooking. You can't get it anywhere else.
Can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd really like the games to have an NPC feel to them. The QRU need to spend a bit of money and fix up some of the facilities at Ballymore to make it a fun day out. BBQ's down by the creek and a few tailgater's in the carpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.