• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies - Rd9 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I wonder to myself each week if this, what is here in in this thread is part of the reason "the game" is suffering here in Australia. The enemy within seem to be a significant inhibiting factor and potentially doing untold damage before we then expose its (the games) underbelly publicly to be mocked and mauled by other sports.

Growing up in AFL land I have witnessed first hand the passion of some supporters and the loathing for the opposition team. For example Collingwood supporters watching a Carlton or Bombers game, can be seen frothing at the mouth, and retrieving the flying set of falsies that shot out in the frantic moments of uncontrolled verbal passion that is like grapeshot from a cannon at short range trying to cut down the opposition players, and at time the umpires. The ensuing exchange of infantry fire is across the seats and rows from both teams supporters, no quarter given, no quarter asked. But the final siren signals a reluctant ceasefire where they all withdraw until the next meeting.

But should a non-AFL outsider challenge either party you will see what AFL supporters are really about. Firstly and foremost is the love of the game. You will find when challenged AFL supporters wearing all different colours will stand side by side defending the game before their own teams. This is embedded in a AFL supporters soul at birth.

We tear shreds of each other and each others teams as this thread demonstrates. Then we have a perverse expectation that the colours we wear on a weekend justify preferential treatment for our players to be included in the Wallabies. Again we will argue our allegiance over that.

Our game is different to others in Australia. Its complex in that is not only a domestic product, but an international one.

I believe we as supporters need to look again and find Rugby's real identity and realign our allegiances. The Game firstly, then the Wallabies, and then in to the breeding and testing ground that provides the players for our world conquering Wallabies team - Super Rugby, NRC and local Clubs and competition.

Before we can change a thing we need to stop imploding the game and stop acting like ass clowns!

Oh, in regards to the game it was a great game, both teams showed heart, their strength and weakness and the quality of the players they have in their squads. Nothing better than right up until the final whistle you aren't sure who will win. This is what its all about, and this is what we need to be seen on FTA TV!!!

Yes there will be issues with referring decisions at times, but I would rather see the Brumbies and Reds got hard at it with a full compliment for 80 minutes. I am not sure how others would feel but "just" getting over the line and needing a man advantage would be an unfulfilling win for me.

I agree with most of what you said, Although you miss an important ingredient AFL doesn't have... They don't have an international team with good competitive international games. I dare you to say that none of us would fight for Rugby if an AFL person was having a go at our support. We all would and would stand together against anyone bad mouthing rugby.

What you are talking about is that we all want the best Wallaby team selected and have different view's on who should get selected usually by state bia's or as i see it, we watch more rugby of our team hence see more of our players and when it's a line ball call we want our player selected.

I would love to see how these frothing mouth arse clowns would be if they had to select a AFL team to compete on the world stage where they are not the number one team.... specially a Collingwood fan if a bomber got selected before one of there players.

I have my team who I think should be selected for the Wallabies, it be different to your's different to Force supporters and probably Tah's supporters... Doesn't stop me cheering on the wallabies and watching all there games... And guess what defending Rugby against anyone from AFL or League.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I feel like the Reds shouldn't do too much soul searching over this weekend's loss.

The drills they would need to practice to create a 15-21 point turn around:

1. Practice placing the ball while being tackled
2. Warning a teammate when a player is about to hit him from behind

The piggies were immense - a pushover and a tighthead try? Magic.

Full credit to the Brumbies though. They played their game and defended heroically.

Brumbies need to put there chances away in at the start of games or we wont go far :(

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Worth a repost - pinched off Twitter

BlPeadYCQAAltLk.jpg

Source:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
FWIW as a former ref, who's attended far too many referee association meetings with their endless goings-over of the Rugby Crimes Act, I thought Walsh did the right thing not carding or penalising Quirk and Moore and going back to the earlier penalty. Quirk deserved a jab for his troubles while Genia's try shouldn't've been awarded while Quirk was carrying on like a pork chop. If Moore felt the TJ/AR standing about 1.5m from him was on top of the situation he may not've tapped Quirk. However, I'm bloody sure this incident will be discussed at length by the SANZAR refs cabal, and a firm course of action will have been decided for any future transgressions of this kind.

Remember the good ole days when an opponent who stepped out of line was given a warning? If the warning was ignored it was followed up by a gentle tap to get his mind back on the job. None of us objected to this style of frontier justice, a hot-headed forward was told to mend his ways and if he didn't was given a good whack for his troubles. It's a bit hard now with TV cameras picking up absolutely everything but I bet if Quirk copped a decent smack in the chops he wouldn't do his silly jumper holding again.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Lindo is right, IMHO. If the officials aren't going to take on niggly shit like jersey pulling, the players are going to sort it out themselves. Having watched the incident, I think Moore was lucky to get away with it, but also think that many of us would have done the same. He punched Quirk's arm to get him to let go, he didn't, and then decided to sort the matter out properly. Can't say that I blame him really.

Wayne Smith's article in the OZ earlier in the week summed it up: the powers that be in the game have given up on trying to eradicate this blight, so expect more of these kinds of incidents.

It's a bit like guys who lie all over the ball. It used to be that a good shoeing sorted them out, but that's (unfortunately) not legal in the game any more.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Lindo is right, IMHO. If the officials aren't going to take on niggly shit like jersey pulling, the players are going to sort it out themselves. Having watched the incident, I think Moore was lucky to get away with it, but also think that many of us would have done the same. He punched Quirk's arm to get him to let go, he didn't, and then decided to sort the matter out properly. Can't say that I blame him really.

Wayne Smith's article in the OZ earlier in the week summed it up: the powers that be in the game have given up on trying to eradicate this blight, so expect more of these kinds of incidents.

It's a bit like guys who lie all over the ball. It used to be that a good shoeing sorted them out, but that's (unfortunately) not legal in the game any more.

You guys have lost your marbles.

Rucking isn't legal but neither is punching.

The first indiscretion in that ruck was Tomane killing the fast ball by lying all over it. Had the first Red support player come in and rucked the crap out of him then he (by the laws of the game) likely received a yellow card. Do you think that Walsh would have said 'first indiscretion was Tomane lying all over the ball so I'm going to ignore the foul play'?

Why is the jersey holding and punching any different.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well said Ruggo:).

Although we still have a way to go to beat the corresponding game of 2013. I think that some Reds supporters were still arguing that half the Brumbies side should have been red-carded for repeated infringements more than a week after the match.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I was deleted... lol tongue in cheek no wonder we struggle. . My god..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Fuck some of my fellow proud Queenslanders are being precious over the punch. It was a solid hit, to the body. Moore clearly was restrained in his actions and after hitting Quirk's arm, went one step further without going over the top, which he easily could have done but chose not to. People are making out like he king hit the bloke.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What's the longest a match thread has gone for after a match was actually played?

A week since the match and still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.