• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My local Rebel Sport (Rouse Hill) have two whole sections of NRL, one of AFL, and about four Wallabies jerseys at any one time. I was shocked to find they had a handful of Waratahs jerseys as well, though it was jammed in under the Socceroos gear and sort of behind an NRL jersey.

But that's Western Sydney for ya.

Game during the Easter show would be pretty good. But the timing is all off - night game coincides with fireworks, day game cuts peoples' Show Day in half. No winners there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Had a look at the table today.

Shorks 27 (+93)
Ponies 25 (+38)
Chiefs 24 (+29)
Farce 22 (+10)
Tahs 20 (+45)

Ponies have the bye. A big win over the Bulls puts us in 2nd place if the Crusaders beat the Chiefs well enough, and the Rebels edge the Farce - both results are not out of the question.

The Shorks are yet to tour and there are rumours that Snake White is already pissing off a few of the core veterans in Durban, so there is still the chance that their limited effect game will fall reduce their effectiveness on the road. Plus they've just been beating up Seffrican teams.

We'll know more about the mental space of this side once we've faced the Bulls. I see already that certain GAGRs are piking out of the weekend game so I don't expect a huge crowd, but hopefully its vocal enough to get the boys there.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
My local Rebel Sport (Rouse Hill) have two whole sections of NRL, one of AFL, and about four Wallabies jerseys at any one time. I was shocked to find they had a handful of Waratahs jerseys as well, though it was jammed in under the Socceroos gear and sort of behind an NRL jersey.
But that's Western Sydney for ya.

Thats the same as the Rebel Sports in the city as well, wall to wall with mungo and AFL jerseys. You can get a Cameroon soccer jersey or a Milwaukee Bucks jersey but not a Tahs jacket/training top/shorts/scarf/hat (delete as appropriate) go figure

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting idea, but would then the whole comp require similar rivalries? Is there enough cattle? More importantly would their be enough coin from the ARU?

To answer each question:
I don't think so. Why would it? Look at the A League for example.
Cattle could come from around the world - would suit Western/Greater Sydney to have a multicultural team.
ARU definitely don't have the money so would have to open it to private investment. I think if the ARU/SANZAR said 'we want to have a 2nd super rugby team in Sydney and it's open to bidders' there'd be interest from very wealthy and smart business people.

NRC might serve this purpose to some extent, but its a 3rd tier development competition. Only the die hards like us will be interested. Super Rugby is the major league and the key (outside of the Wallabies) to driving interest in the sport. And Sydney is too big for just the Waratahs. I really think rugby in Sydney (and Australia) would grow another leg if there was a 2nd Sydney team that was basically the anti-Tahs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Game during the Easter show would be pretty good. But the timing is all off - night game coincides with fireworks, day game cuts peoples' Show Day in half. No winners there.

Although the NRL have a game at 4pm this afternoon at Homebush with half price tickets and another one on Monday I believe.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Even if it's only the diehards forking over their $25 for a few trinkets, you've made a bit of money and raised your profile. You'd also be surprised at what people will buy in that showbag hall that they wouldn't even think of buying elsewhere.

I mean, not even the NSWRU could lose money selling showbags could they?

If the people are diehards, wouldn't they already have purchased their trinkets elsewhere?

Yeah, you could lose money selling showbags, if you don't sell enough of them, and only to diehards fans. ;)

I think that is a poor excuse, there is a multitude of options they could have pursued, selling merchandise is one but plenty of other options in terms of interactive stands, sample bags for the kids etc..

Sure there are, but it would not be cheap to do something at the Easter Show and money is tight at both the ARU and NSWRU. However, it would certainly be a reality check in terms of the level of support/interest there is for rugby.

I saw a stand that sold purely Parra Eels merchandise.
Are we saying the whole code of Rugby holds less interest than the Parra Eels?
I don't think so.

Also helps to have a deep pocketed benefactor like a leagues club.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think that is a poor excuse, there is a multitude of options they could have pursued, selling merchandise is one but plenty of other options in terms of interactive stands, sample bags for the kids etc..
Dude you throw a few tahs in jersey .. not izzy but Cam Crawford level... kids would jump

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If the people are diehards, wouldn't they already have purchased their trinkets elsewhere?

Well, I assume that most of the people who buy the NRL bags are also diehard supporters, but they still buy. It's a curious effect being in the showbag hall has on people. You see, you target your trinkets at the kids with something a little different each year. I can tell you my son is a diehard Sea Eagles supporter and he's bought the Sea Eagles bag for the last 3 years and judging by the people I saw at the NRL counter in the hall 90% of those buying were already supporters (diehard or otherwise).

The lack of any Waratah/Wallaby merchandise showbag says one of two things:

1. Those running the game have that little confidence in the game that they don't think they could sell anything, or
2. Those charged with marketing the game haven't even thought of the idea

Perhaps they're waiting for the Show to move away from Homebush and back to Moore Park ;)

One thing for certain, no-one will buy anything if you have nothing on sale.

EDIT: I'd like to meet someone who has lost money selling showbags.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I suggest the reason the ARU/NSWRU isn't involved is that both organisations are being run on the smell of an oily rag and don't have the time, money and manpower to organise such endeavours.

Not saying it makes it right or wrong, just that is probably the explanation.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have assumed since my cynicism became incurable that some (most?) show bags are organised by a central show bag collective who pay licensing fees to the people they claim to be.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think it would go something like that, certainly the sales part is outsourced.

According to his CV, our CEO is something of a marketing guru, interesting that there's very little marketing going on.

http://www.waratahs.com.au/Portals/3/PDFs/Mr Jason Allen full biography 2013.pdf

It should be noted that the contents of these sports type showbags is the same sort of stuff that we give away to Try Rugby and Camp Wallaby participants. You just need to make it a little different every year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
NRL drew 42,000 at Homebush today for a 4pm game on the busiest day of the show.

Something for the Waratahs to think about?

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm still agog at the complete disregard the SCG trust yet again has shown towards the Tahs. The fucking swans are playing at 4.40pm meaning that it is highly unlikely that anyone will be able to get a park in time for the Tahs game at 7.40. Thats it! never will I mention, watch or consider AFL in anyway ever again - I got to the Rebels game at 7.15 a few weeks ago and queued up for a beer at the stadium thinking 25 fucking minutes would be enough. I missed the first 10 minutes of the game.
Can you still park at Sydney Boys High or Sydney Girls high these days?
Ticket sales look pretty good thus far - this AFL debecle will ensure we stay below 20k.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I'm still agog at the complete disregard the SCG trust yet again has shown towards the Tahs.

The scheduling would be up to the sporting bodies like SANZAR and AFL. In 2013, when the Tahs were playing the Chiefs, the Swans had a game on at the same time. Last Sunday, the Swans finished around 3:45pm and Sydney FC were playing at 5pm.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ticket sales look pretty good thus far - this AFL debecle will ensure we stay below 20k.

We haven't broken the 20k mark at the SFS for a couple of years, so I don't think it's going to happen tonight regardless.

While the timings are up to SANZAR, the Waratahs could have played the match at Homebush tonight. Plenty of country rugby supporters in town for the show who would probably find Homebush easier than Moore Park (particularly with the Swans next door). They are obligated by a contract to play 2 matches a year at Homebush - why wouldn't you put one of them on during the show? Yes, we know they play the Brumbies and the Reds there and they struggle to draw 25,000 to either of those - crowds which could easily be accommodated at the SFS.

The NRL have played matches at Homebush during the show for the past couple of years and its been their biggest crowds for club matches. 42,000 Friday afternoon for a match that would have drawn 20,000 at best at another time.

It's something we could at least try, bearing in mind that I don't think we've even drawn 15,000 to the SFS so far this year.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Taking the Bulls game to Homebush would be a recipe for disaster I reckon. Don't think the show has as big an influence as you think- the 42,000 would have just as much do with the public holiday as the existence of the show.

They would battle to get 15,000 IMO, which would look and sound terrible and be a poor advert for our game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Problem is, we're going to battle to draw 15,000 tonight and have battled to draw 15,000 all year at the SFS. I can't think of a match so far this year where there have been any reasonable excuses for the poor crowds - people just aren't coming.

I wouldn't expect the Waratahs to draw 42,000 at Homebush, it was just an illustration that the NRL basically doubled the crowd they would have normally drawn by playing at Homebush during the show. Public holiday may have been part of, half price tickets as well, but I wouldn't underestimate the number of league and union fans from the country who are in Sydney for the show. These people are at the show every day and stay in the area for the duration. After a day at the show, they probably aren't going to go to the SFS, but next door at Homebush is easy.

Remember that Homebush subsidises us to play 2 home games there every year.

The "safe" option is to stay at SFS and get 15,000, which long term is not a sustainable crowd in a city of 4 million people. I'm not sure if 15,000 at Homebush is any more embarrassing for the code that 15,000 at the SFS.

I suspect we might draw a bit more on a holiday weekend at the show, as long as it is promoted properly and like NRL throw in half price tickets. I agree that a Kiwi team would draw more than the Bulls, but we have no control over that. The Waratahs need to work on improving the things that they do have control over.

We might even think laterally and put on some sort of country 7s carnival for kids during the day and make a day of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.