• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Would TEN's ratings be affected? Currently Foxtel and FTA show some events concurrently. Who chooses to watch the FTA broadcast with ads anyway? The viewers for test matches for example would be only those without Foxtel access. The benefit will be minimal opposition on a Saturday night. I can't see a 30-60 minute delay being a huge factor. Never affected Friday night football on 9.

I watch FTA, simply because the Fox commentary is so diabolical. Plus I figure that every viewer helps the cause - I am not on any panels, but because I watch FTA through Foxtel, the latter's private scores are affected ( a tiny bit!).

I did not say that the daylight savings thing was a "huge" problem, but it is a complicating factor. It means that Reds home games have to start at 630 local time, not ideal for the local crowds, although that problem exists anyway.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If we can get Super Rugby on FTA TV, we can then work on Queensland embracing Day Light Savings.

Maybe the Reds can give new curtains with every membership.

T

TOCC

I did not say that the daylight savings thing was a "huge" problem, but it is a complicating factor. It means that Reds home games have to start at 630 local time, not ideal for the local crowds, although that problem exists anyway.

Reds home games already start at 6:30 AEST during daylight savings.. 6:30 on a Saturday night isn't that bad for crowds either, I think most families would actually prefer it.. it's typically only an issue for Fridays.

I don't think it would need to change from what is already in place, just play the games live across all states regardless of daylight saving..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck Queensland - Saturday night so they can keep avoiding the curtain fade if they want, and move the start time of the game to suit the TV slot

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I watch FTA,...but because I watch FTA through Foxtel, the latter's private scores are affected ( a tiny bit!).

not that I would ever watch free to air, but out of curiosity how do you watch FTA via foxtel??

I get ABC and SBS, but that is it. You mean you somehow get the other channels too?

T

TOCC

not that I would ever watch free to air, but out of curiosity how do you watch FTA via foxtel??

I get ABC and SBS, but that is it. You mean you somehow get the other channels too?

Foxtel has the main commercial channels, 7,9 & 10 it just doesn't have the other digital channels.. Or at least they didn't used to.. FoxtelGo doesn't have the commercial channels nor does Foxtel set-top boxes using satellite it's only available on boxes connected via cable.

I wonder how long before Foxtel crack down on the FoxtelGo users, me and my brother both use our parents account who live interstate.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Interesting from Payten and Pandaram I saw today:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sp...iifano-to-france/story-e6frf56c-1226888478187

LIVE Super Rugby on free-to-air television could finally be around the corner, with Channel Seven interested in acquiring games in the next TV deal.
ARU boss Bill Pulver recently expressed confidence there would be “competitive tension” in the next broadcast rights negotiation, and speculation emerged this week that Seven were eyeing off rugby content.
Our inquiries this week have confirmed the interest is genuine and Seven officials have already had informal chats to Pulver.
The top-rating network is looking to add to their live sport offerings on digital channel 7mate, which targets “blokes” as its main audience.
Sport is seen as a key plank of 7mate, and the channel has already got good results screening the Rugby League World Cup last year, V8s races and the US Masters golf.
The majority of AFL content in Western Australia is screened on 7mate and an insider said ratings had not dropped despite being moved off the main channel.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Foxtel has the main commercial channels, 7,9 & 10 it just doesn't have the other digital channels.. Or at least they didn't used to.. FoxtelGo doesn't have the commercial channels nor does Foxtel set-top boxes using satellite it's only available on boxes connected via cable.

I wonder how long before Foxtel crack down on the FoxtelGo users, me and my brother both use our parents account who live interstate.

well I don't know if it is a special package or what, but I most certainly have never had 7,9 or 10. Not that I can think of a reason I would want it mind.

T

TOCC

well I don't know if it is a special package or what, but I most certainly have never had 7,9 or 10. Not that I can think of a reason I would want it mind.

Do you have cable?
It's all explained in here..
http://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Programming-Technical-Support/7Mate/m-p/845

As for the reason, well purely out of convenience. Accessing all your channels via Foxtel is easier then switching AV channels etc.. Also been able to record shows on FTA and not worrying about TV repetition are another two bonuses.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My Foxtel satellite connection always had ABC2, 7, 9, and 10. When I got HD a couple of years back, they also had the other channels offered by FTA.

T

TOCC

My Foxtel satellite connection always had ABC2, 7, 9, and 10. When I got HD a couple of years back, they also had the other channels offered by FTA.

It depends on regions, the commercial networks need to pay the cost associated with broadcasting their channels on Foxtel satellite, HD channels cost significantly more via satellite given the high bandwidth. Thus you will receive 7Mate on cable but channel 7 opted not to pay the costs to broadcast it via satellite.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I have Foxtel (Austar) HD and I have all of the FTA channels. 7, 72, 73, 9, 90, 99, 10, 11 & 1 plus all the SBS and ABC ones too. I'm on a satellite signal also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Do you have cable?
It's all explained in here..
http://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Programming-Technical-Support/7Mate/m-p/845

As for the reason, well purely out of convenience. Accessing all your channels via Foxtel is easier then switching AV channels etc.. Also been able to record shows on FTA and not worrying about TV repetition are another two bonuses.

have a satellite dish. Since I posted I have had a vague vague memory of this coming up before (??) and have a foggy notion it was somehow regional dependent. I'm out in bathurst, am taking a guess that you guys that have all the other channels are in 'the city'.

also could be you guys are on a higher subscription? I see you can record shows, I never bothered with upgrading to that because quite frankly there are very few shows worth recording!

I fall right into foxtels trap, I ONLY have pay tv for the rugby. That could mean I record the SA early morning games, but some of them are replayed sun anyway, and I can watch the games I miss on the weekend on tues so paying more to record shows was not worth it to me.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
With the exception of C31 (I think that it's public access or something?), all FTA TV (7,9,10, ABC, SBS, ABC2, SBS2, ABC24, 7MATE, 7TWO, One, Eleven, Gem, and Go) appear to be available via Foxtel to me.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
One not insignificant problem is that Queensland does not have daylight savings. So if TEN wants to televise all games live, in Eastern Australia, they would have to have different schedules as between QLD and the other Southern States. Not sure that they would want to do that.

One alternative would be for them to time shift (which is what Nine does with the NRL), to keep to a standard East Coast schedule (albeit Nine swaps the games around, so that QLD sees the game that interests them more, first, and vice versa in the South).

However, the complications are obvious, given that Foxtel will want to televise every match live. Live on Foxtel, and delayed on TEN? Maybe, although obviously TEN's ratings might be affected.
They are not always the games that interest more, when the broncos are playing a last place team on a Friday night live we often miss a top of the table clash that nine assume fans don't want to see even though it is a better match

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
have a satellite dish. Since I posted I have had a vague vague memory of this coming up before (??) and have a foggy notion it was somehow regional dependent. I'm out in bathurst, am taking a guess that you guys that have all the other channels are in 'the city'.

also could be you guys are on a higher subscription? I see you can record shows, I never bothered with upgrading to that because quite frankly there are very few shows worth recording!

I fall right into foxtels trap, I ONLY have pay tv for the rugby. That could mean I record the SA early morning games, but some of them are replayed sun anyway, and I can watch the games I miss on the weekend on tues so paying more to record shows was not worth it to me.

Some FTA PVRs have an input facility(e.g. the Beyonwiz P2), thus you can record Foxtel/Austar.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I apologise in advance for quoting anything Roy Masters has written:
News paid US$555 million over 10 years, an excessive amount, but it served the purpose of the day for News and literally made Super Rugby a product created by News for pay TV only. Therefore, when renewal negotiations come up every five years, it is virtually impossible to get Super Rugby on free-to-air channels because Fox Sports are in the box seat and have been loath to allow even one live game on free-to-air a week.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/news-limited-deal-cost-australian-rugby-union-in-future-tv-rights-20140418-zqvtw.html#ixzz2zHAwg5qz

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I apologise in advance for quoting anything Roy Masters has written:

According to MungoRoy in this story, TV rights from the three nations for the SANZAR competition are pooled, with the following contributions per year:

Fox Sports (Aus): $US 12.6 m
Sky Sports (NZ): $US 11.9 m
SuperSports (SA): $US 10.9 m

Presumably this is for Supe only, given the 2011 headline number of $400m for the full deal over 5 years.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Really Roy? A RUPA report stated:

" even more so if that competition is structured to contain a lot of dud product,"

That was a real report?