• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Force, Round 10, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If the Wallabies want to go anywhere this year and leading into the World Cup they need to reevaluate the make up of the team. Reputations aside. Consistant form counts.
Okay... how so ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If the Wallabies want to go anywhere this year and leading into the World Cup they need to reevaluate the make up of the team. Reputations aside. Consistant form counts.
I mean I wanna see your team

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
The ref was fine. Nothing the ref did had a significant impact on the game. The Rebels edged us in the set piece (esp the scrum) and were probably equal at the breakdown. They were strong defensively and out-enthused us.

The Rebs were definitely strong and out-enthused the Force (I think everyone following the Force knew it was going to take a pretty special effort to overcome the injuries and fatigue).

However, I don't completely agree about the ref - leading up to Higgers try, he missed a clear knock-on by an offside Rebs lock. That doesn't happen, the Force clear their lines and the Rebs are back in their own half.
Additionally, they Rebs were happy to give away multiple penalties when the Force were on their line, yet he only pulled the yellow after the game was gone.

All that said, those are "what-ifs" and the Rebs were more enthusiastic, better in attack, and clearly had more energy. They deserved the win.

Someone else mentioned it, but Sias looked off all night. Blew a sitter of a try, shocking effort at a droppie, blew a restart, missed a couple of tackles - including on Higgers try. He has a tendency to go high on larger players and inevitably gets steamrolled. Happened with Skelton last week.

The motto for this week: Rest and Regroup!

And condolences to the Haywards.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The streak ends but who gives a shit. Reality now is the Force are genuine finals contenders so it is about how they bounce back.

Good win for the Rebels. Neville made the most of his shot I thought.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Jones was excellent. Scrum and line out performed well aside from a loose ball at the end.
Not much input from English tonight but ball didn't get wide much. We went too deep too often in the backs and didn't engage the defends sometimes. Let them push us wide into the 16th man.
If we'd beaten one of highlanders crusaders chiefs we'd be on 20 points and just outside of the top 6. Annoying but we could yet finish the season strong.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Sir Arthur Higgins the crowd was just over 10,000.

The Rebels defence was very good. Definitely improved significantly under McGahan. What is the go with our field kicking? We decided to have a bit of kick to kick early in second half and the Force gained 60 metres and almost scored a try.

I also thought Neville knocked on when Force had the ball prior to the scrum where we scored. I thought I must have been seeing things when it wasn't called because it seemed obvious to me.

Jones has been our best player this year and had another great game. Inman also continued his good form. Memo to all defenders Inman virtually always steps back inside when he gets the ball. Horie was awesome, with the form he is showing I am surprised Hill used him sparingly last year. I thought Sa'u made some good runs too.

Burgess is far superior to Stirzaker. Stirzaker shows promise but shouldn't be starting. The crowd were certainly happy when Burgo came on.

On the whole I thought McCalman was better than Higgers.

The only times there should be a penalty for tackling a player in the air is a jumper in line out and when contesting a kick on the full. Unless the player is tipped on his head / put in a dangerous position.

We have a bye and then our next two matches at AAMI so hopefully we can use that as a springboard for rest of the season.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Neville made the most of his shot I thought.

Yes he did. At last he showed some of what we have been waiting for: a bit of physicality that a big unit should have, with the skill and athleticism as a dessert, not the main course.

When you are built like Tarzan, you have to play like Tarzan.

Jones has been our best player this year and had another great game.

Agree—in my eyes he is the natural successor to Fardy if he is not available in the Wallabies' mix —a 6 who can play lock.

When he was a schoolboy I never expected him to play so much senior rugby in the second row, with his build—at least in professional arena. I thought he would struggle to find his niche, but his over-whelming desire has burst through.

In many respects Brumby Fardy has pointed the way for the type of player Jones is—all the younger man needs now is the street-smarts of the older man.

But what of Sean McMahon? Can a teen-aged, big-engined smaller fellow like him ever hope for elevation as an older player, except as a 7, which he is not?

Well done to the Rebels—they have played some top rugby recently despite some odd selection issues and the lack of a flyhalf who is a test candidate. They deserved that win, with knobs on.

And commendations to the Force for their five-peat which came to an end after a six-day turnaround and a few too many injuries, as many of us thought it would.

Their injured players will get healthy again, but they, also, lack a test candidate flyhalf.

How good would they be with one?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Loving Jones' work and really want to see him take that next step this season. I've said before that I love the concept of him at 8, because he's got a bog motor, is physically imposing, jumps well in the lineout and has good hands. I'd be be just as happy with him as an athletic lock though.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
having been to the game and watched a replay, some thoughts.

the reffing was OK, but i also thought Neville knocked on in the play leading up to the scrum from which Higginbotham scored. but also a couple of offsides missed when the force were defending in the second half. so you win some and lose some.

the positives for the rebels were once again very good defence. they got out of the 22 more effectively. the scrum was finally dominant, (Neviile effect behind Smith ?), and got some reward for that. no line out fuck ups that i can recall.

they still cant execute the kicking game effectively, but i thought hegarty and woodward were kicking longer last night. the passing was often too high or behind the man, really stuffing momentum. still not certain about some of the captains option taking. the emphasis on the defence does seem to have taken the edge off the attacking execution however.

horie and neville were really effective last night, jones again !!!!!, inman and ellison also again defensively just do so much work. burgess still better than stirzaker IMO. hegarty continues to improve, but jeez, lilo or To'omua or harris would be great

if the attack can be sharpened and the half chances taken whilst still maintaining the defensive effort, us rebel faithful just might get a bit more to cheer about this year after all.

ps. thought the crowd were a bit muted after the win, perhaps the force try took the afterglow away.
10K at the game will be disappointing to the rebels admin, but then again thats how many turned out in Wellington to see two very attacking sides play

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Force tanked a bit last night IMO , to their credit Rebs took it to them , great defensive effort 3 times they held their line with Force in their 22 , good sign is the impact the replacements are having , McMahon , Pyle and for mine Burgess coming on is a good tactic , the team lifts straight away when he comes on ,, MOM Horie for mine , Ellison needs to live up to his rep a bit more, been a bit overrated on performances so far,,

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ellison needs to live up to his rep a bit more, been a bit overrated on performances so far,,

no. watch him closely, like conrad smith never does the wrong thing, defence and organising the defence he is fantastic. he has had limited opportunities in attack. magical pass to woodward for the try against the brums.

Reactions: Tex

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jones was awesome. Can we have him back now? Please?

Haha. I was really impressed by Adam Coleman though. I am pretty sure that was his first start and I thought he had a really strong game. A couple of good runs, good d also. I'm really hoping we hold on to him and that he continues to rise. Australia can't have too many top quality locks.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
For what I thought was his worst game for the Rebels, Ellison still played pretty damn well. With the exception of the card (how did he think he would get away with it?) he didn't put a foot wrong in Defence.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

T

tranquility

Yeah I reckon your team would look a whole lot less stable without Mr Ellison. Let's just hope they are all learning, so they can take up the communication slack when he inevitably leaves.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Overall I think that was the best refing performance I have seen this year. Great job in letting the game flow and only picking up critical indiscretions.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
A little comparison:

Higgers 15 runs for 45m; 4 tackles, 2 missed tackles
McCalman 14 runs for 39m; 11 tackles, 1 missed tackle

4 tackles seems a little light for #8, no?

From SMH stats, Scrum.com had significantly different stats (gave Higgers only 24m on 14 runs)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Finally got wifi working in my hotel room, bloody stoked to see the Rebels take this one. Will be getting on the Tigers tonight for belated celebration in Singapore.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
A little comparison:

Higgers 15 runs for 45m; 4 tackles, 2 missed tackles
McCalman 14 runs for 39m; 11 tackles, 1 missed tackle

4 tackles seems a little light for #8, no?

From SMH stats, Scrum.com had significantly different stats (gave Higgers only 24m on 14 runs)

As a percentage of total tackles made by both teams it's pretty on par, I think Higgers may have even made a higher percentage of tackles. Plus like you've said, the disparity in stats raises questions.

I always balk a bit at the 'tackles made' stat because it's so inconclusive. Were they the tackler or tackle assist? Were they dominant tackles? I feel like stats like tries scored and rucks attended are relevant too, which aren't here.

IDK mate, I just think stats aren't too helpful unless you REALLY go into depth. Us armchair experts aren't privy to that kind of data gathering.

I think sometimes qualitative can be as good as quantitative game assessment and IMO qualitatively Higgers played better.

Status
Not open for further replies.