• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Bulls, round 10 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bulls did well to come back. Didn't get the rub of the green with the officials but had enough opportunities to win it after the Tahs really went off the boil in the second half.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I'm sorry to ay this but the Tahs really are all over the fucking shop.

This is not a good Bulls side. They have at least 7 or 8 VERY average players in the 23.

On paper the Tahs should be walking this game.

Thank fuck I do not support the Tahs. That's all I can say.Apologies if I offended anyone.
Summed up my thoughts.

Reactions: mst

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well I'll say this, apart from the first 30 seconds the rest was absolutely awful but we would've lost those in the past. The Blues will be fired up at home after 2 abysmal away performances. Short turnaround, they will need to improve 500%.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Summed up my thoughts.

I third that and add the Tah's must be staring to have a few sleepless nights dreaming about the old days when the played that running rugby scoring bags of tries and now wondering how to score them.

This season has shown us that the games are tight and can go either way, it seem its better to be lucky than good, and sadly the obvious factor this season that IS influencing results is the really poor referring!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Disappointed in Foley again, just no accuracy, passing, kicking etc. Also Phipps, while he offers a fair bit around the paddock at different times, passing just isn't good enough. McKibben was far better, needs to start against the Blues.

Thought Skelton, Potgeiter were really good and Hooper, does the guy ever have a bad game? Also think Horne is playing well, if Beale isn't fit next week he should be 12.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tahs execrable (look it up if in doubt). Such mind-bending ineptitude when the game was on the line. More fucking Coogee stairs, Cheiks.

T

tranquility

I'm sorry to ay this but the Tahs really are all over the fucking shop.

This is not a good Bulls side. They have at least 7 or 8 VERY average players in the 23.

On paper the Tahs should be walking this game.

Thank fuck I do not support the Tahs. That's all I can say.Apologies if I offended anyone.

No offense Blue, as you seem like a good fellow. But you pull this schtick every week. "We have no chance, our team is missing this bloke, your team to win by 50." Then when you lose, you say, "geez how was it so close we were running our U9s." But when you win, which admittedly hasn't been alot lately, it's all about the imperial depth of South African rugby.

Serfontein was absolutely immense. 50 cap + Springbok.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Disappointed in Foley again, just no accuracy, passing, kicking etc. Also Phipps, while he offers a fair bit around the paddock at different times, passing just isn't good enough. McKibben was far better, needs to start against the Blues.

Oh no - not McKibbin he is so indecisive

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Greco-Roman at the tackle which turned the match into trench warfare. Flat bordering on offside defence from the Bulls. Happy with the win, happy with the commitment at the breakdown and happy with the mental toughness to win in a scrap like that.

The Hoff was at least consistent, which is his most redeeming feature. I'm not sure about his penchant for giving scrum penalties after the ball has emerged - it's my pet hate. The refs (not just the Hoff) need to go back and read the laws:

The purpose of the scrum is to restart play quickly, safely and fairly, after a minor infringement or a stoppage. (law 20)
http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=20

When the ball is in the hands of the 5/8, do we really need to come back and have a penalty for something which is probably a lottery anyway? Play has been restarted, can we just get on with it please?

EDIT: Hooper and Potgeiter superb.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
No offense Blue, as you seem like a good fellow. But you pull this schtick every week. "We have no chance, our team is missing this bloke, your team to win by 50." Then when you lose, you say, "geez how was it so close we were running our U9s." But when you win, which admittedly hasn't been alot lately, it's all about the imperial depth of South African rugby.

Serfontein was absolutely immense. 50 cap + Springbok.

Tranq, I think you've got a point. Potgeiter, Serfontein and Englebrecht are a test quality midfield. We tried to go around them and really stuffed it up. Several times Beale came back on the cut, broke them open and then we found ways to give the ball away. I think the Reds game was the last time we really murdered a team, we did it by going through them not around them, we need to get back to that a bit more.

Nevertheless the Bulls were certainly no mugs. They haven't lost a game away by more than seven for weeks now. Their set piece, particularly the scrum, was very good. Last week that scrum put two tight heads and numerous penalties over the Highlanders, one of the best scrums in NZ. We got beaten there but we did not get annihilated, even with Tilse and Ryan on. Those Bulls props are better than their test props.

We found a way to get some ground back in the middle of the second half and get some breathing space on the scoreboard. Straight after that we made a couple of good breaks and then promptly turned it over. That's our biggest problem - every time we make a good break we expect to get over under the posts and we take a 10% chance to make it happen. If we just took the tackle, waited for the cavalry and then started up again we would kill it.

Tonight was no more ugly than most Brumbies games; you don't beat everyone 50-0 and you can't expect it. We played some good rugby, they played some good rugby, we just were a bit better over the 80 mins.

On to the Blues at the Eden Park graveyard.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agree with that Hawko. Particularly in the 1st half we pushed some passes down the left side (which all ended up being forward). We were dominating at the time and had all the momentum - a bit of patience might have resulted in another try.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Greco-Roman at the tackle which turned the match into trench warfare. Flat bordering on offside defence from the Bulls. Happy with the win, happy with the commitment at the breakdown and happy with the mental toughness to win in a scrap like that.

The Hoff was at least consistent, which is his most redeeming feature. I'm not sure about his penchant for giving scrum penalties after the ball has emerged - it's my pet hate. The refs (not just the Hoff) need to go back and read the laws:

The purpose of the scrum is to restart play quickly, safely and fairly, after a minor infringement or a stoppage. (law 20)
http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=20

When the ball is in the hands of the 5/8, do we really need to come back and have a penalty for something which is probably a lottery anyway? Play has been restarted, can we just get on with it please?

EDIT: Hooper and Potgeiter superb.

Lol @referring pet hates - I have an ever increasing menagerie of pet hates.

The Hoff was consistent? Um, yes he was if you count refereeing each team consistently different from different versions of the rule book. Consistently shit I can deal with, consistently calling it different for each side and keeping us guessing I cant.

I really found it interesting that the speed which the Tah's attack the line going wide seems to open up a defence but its like as the door opens they trip over the door mat on the way through. I found myself having to back track to work out how what looked like a break destined for the try line ended up in some heap or with the ball heading the other direction so quickly. It's almost as if the Tah's have a phase limit and then go to the miracle play.

I would almost speculate that there seems to be a changing in player attitude away from the "team" and back to the individual. The first two rounds about the team, one blob and you couldn't pick who was doing what as it was a collective effort, but since then there has been a trend towards the individual player and what they can do rather then the "team".

Status
Not open for further replies.