• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
yahdah yahdah

with some playing under multiple administrations. These are:
a. Sydney JRU/NSW Country JRU
b. Sydney RU Colts
c. NSW Schools RU (AAGPS, CAS, ISA, AICES, CCC, CHS, NSW Country Schools)
d. Mungo Teams

You left out

e. Subbies Colts

Said it before, and for the slow kids amongst you, I'll say it again - need to rationalise / consolidate 16s & 17s from 3 sources - SJRU / Subbies Colts / Prem Club Colts. Not enough players to effectively manage in 3 silos.

And forget the schools! As long as you have a hole in your bum GPS, CAS, ISA and other private systems will do their own thing - 2 reasons - TRADITION and "sport" fulfils a curriculum requirement.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
blah blah

Perhaps NSW State Championships should be open to all comers, from anywhere with the various representative teams chosen from the State Championships limited by eligibility criteria.

The correct title for the State Champs are NSWJRU Age Championships - the obligation of NSWJRU is to organise a tournament for the betterment of its constituent members - SJRU & Country Juniors.

Yes the structure of rugby is outdated and overcomplicated and it was like that in 2000 (and quite likely 1980 and earlier).

Garling identified quite bluntly the turf war for "junior rugby" in all its manifestations, in his report but still the poobahs at NSWRU thought all was OK. Hopefully a new (juniors) board delegate who more properly knows the true needs / state of Junior rugby, rather than the oxygen thief who was allegedly representing the best interests of juniors in the past might be able to get some traction.

An uphill battle.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The correct title for the State Champs are NSWJRU Age Championships - the obligation of NSWJRU is to organise a tournament for the betterment of its constituent members - SJRU & Country Juniors.

Yes the structure of rugby is outdated and overcomplicated and it was like that in 2000 (and quite likely 1980 and earlier).

Garling identified quite bluntly the turf war for "junior rugby" in all its manifestations, in his report but still the poobahs at NSWRU thought all was OK. Hopefully a new (juniors) board delegate who more properly knows the true needs / state of Junior rugby, rather than the oxygen thief who was allegedly representing the best interests of juniors in the past might be able to get some traction.

An uphill battle.

What do you see as the optimal structure?
The reason I ask is that I'm not sure that thieving oxygen is the reason prior committees thought everything was OK - I am pretty sure they did not see everything as OK but the clubs were seen to benefit from this idea that everyone was working towards 16s where there was a national championship.
Now that is no more.
I suspect that there may be medium to long term implications for player numbers from 13-15 inclusive when it becomes widely known that there is no longer anything official happening at the end of 16s.
It has been "replaced" by JGC - as to which see my posts in that thread for some gauge on the standard there - in which the village clubs have zero say and for which you need not play any rugby other than in JGC. It seems to me that the marginal kids (i.e. the ones who play league, AFL, soccer) with some ability will get the full blown ARU program without committing to the game one iota.
In short: it was a mess and now its a self destructive frigging mess.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
What do you see as the optimal structure?

Now that be the $64,000 question.

In its simplest form

1. It needs to recognise that their are (in broad terms) participant players & performance players, so it needs 2 channels with regular opportunity to move between the 2
  2. The processes surrounding the move between participant & performance needs to be transparent & regular.
  3. Additional support needs to be provided to participation players so that they can develop to challenge for inclusion in the performance - this must not be about picking Wallabies at 14 years old!
  4. The ARU must "guide" the process though to junior club land. [Apply the Golden Rule - they provide the Gold, they make the rules.]
  5. At state level - the State must interpret and implement ARU policy / direction direct to stakeholders.
  6. NSWRU own & coordinate 3 competition strands in Sydney:
  • Premier Rugby
  • Subbies Rugby
  • Junior CLUB Rugby
  • Schools - do their own thing.
JGC is run as a separate entity
Club based State Champs seen as a selection trial for JGC
Will never happen because rugby is nothing if not famous for the magical stupidity of vested interest and petty empire building!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2014 SJRU Representative Coaching Appointments
SJRU Under 15 Regional Teams
U15 Metro Northern Zone
Tom KELLAWAY, Head Coach
Peter HINCHEY, Asst Coach
n/a, S&C Coach
Ian KELLAWAY, Manager

U15 Metro Western Zone
TBA , Head Coach
TBA , Asst Coach
TBA , S&C Coach
TBA , Manager

U15 Metro Southern Zone
Connell BYRNE, Head Coach
Tony BUCHANAN, Asst Coach
Alan COHEN, S&C Coach
Craig TOWNSEND, Manager

U15 Sydney Barbarians
Graham STOKES , Head Coach
George GARGOULAKIS, Asst Coach
Matt SAID, S&C Coach
Luke McCORMACK, Manager

SJRU Under 16 Regional Teams
U16 Metro Northern Zone
Paul McGREGOR, Head Coach
John ALLEN, Asst Coach
n/a, S&C Coach
Andrew SKELLY, Manager

U16 Metro Western Zone
TBA , Head Coach
TBA , Asst Coach
TBA , S&C Coach
TBA , Manager

U16 Metro Southern Zone
Simon KACIMAIWAI, Head Coach
Mark BERNAYS, Asst Coach
Wayne AFRIKA, S&C Coach
TBA, Manager

U16 Sydney Barbarians
Alex PRENDERGAST, Head Coach
Bernie RORKE, Asst Coach
Tim DALECKI, S&C Coach
Rod DUFFICY, Manager

SJRU Sydney Teams
Sydney Under 14
Bill BELL, Head Coach
Ian WESTWOOD, Asst Coach
n/a, S&C Coach
Laurie McMARTIN, Manager

Sydney Under 15
James BARKELL, Co-Coach
Joel RIVERS, Co-Coach
Luke FERRIS, Asst Coach
Guy MILLER, Asst Coach
Roger JONES, S&C Coach
Sean IRVINE, Manager
Dane COLE CLARK, Physio

Sydney Under 16
Jed HOGAN, Head Coach
Jonathan WALSH, Asst Coach
Gerard McLENAGHAN, Asst Coach
Glen PILCHER, S&C Coach
Greg McLAREN, Manager
Narelle VEVERKA, Physio

Sydney Under 17
Francis CULLIMORE, Coach
Ben RUTHERFORD, Asst Coach
Michael CROSS, Asst Coach
Matt SAID, S&C Coach
TBA, Manager
Chris GRIFFITHS, Physio

Sydney Under 18
Kolose FEAUNATI, Co-Coach
David ZWART, Co-Coach
Tim DALECKI, S&C Coach
TBA, Manager
Chris GRIFFITHS, Physio

http://juniors.rugby.com.au/Portals/1/Images/2014 SJRU Representative Coaching Appointments.pdf

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Where are Sydney Juniors going to get a squad of Under 18's from?

There are 11 Teams in the SJRU Opens competition, which covers Under 17's and Under 18's age groups. How many of this years SJRU Opens are in the Under 18 category?

Most of last years SJRU Under 17 team (potentially the nucleus of this years U18's) seem to be playing for Colts in 2014 as far as I can see.

Will there be a "Grandfather" rule for eligibility for players from Schools and Colts?

I am looking forward to a further version of the fun and games that existed to trial and select the 2013 SJRU Under 17's.

Will we see a 2014 version of the Manly Marlins "facebook" team trying out for the Under 18's?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Venues for the 2014 NSWJRU State Championships to be held over the June long weekend:

U11s Keirle Park, Manly
U12s Camden Rugby Club, Camden
U13s Wanderers Rugby Club, Newcastle
U14s Endeavour Park, Orange
U15s Drummoyne Oval
U16s and U17s St Lukes Fields, Concord

Finals for the 15s, 16s and 17s will be held on the Monday at Drummoyne Oval.

U10s Tournament will be held on Sunday June 29th at Narrabeen.

Source: http://www.nswjuniors.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=204579

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
2014 SJRU Representative Coaching Appointments
SJRU Under 15 Regional Teams
U15 Metro Northern Zone
Tom KELLAWAY, Head Coach
Peter HINCHEY, Asst Coach
n/a, S&C Coach
Ian KELLAWAY, Manager

U15 Metro Western Zone
TBA , Head Coach
TBA , Asst Coach
TBA , S&C Coach
TBA , Manager

U15 Metro Southern Zone
Connell BYRNE, Head Coach
Tony BUCHANAN, Asst Coach
Alan COHEN, S&C Coach
Craig TOWNSEND, Manager

U15 Sydney Barbarians
Graham STOKES , Head Coach
George GARGOULAKIS, Asst Coach
Matt SAID, S&C Coach
Luke McCORMACK, Manager

SJRU Under 16 Regional Teams
U16 Metro Northern Zone
Paul McGREGOR, Head Coach
John ALLEN, Asst Coach
n/a, S&C Coach
Andrew SKELLY, Manager

U16 Metro Western Zone
TBA , Head Coach
TBA , Asst Coach
TBA , S&C Coach
TBA , Manager

U16 Metro Southern Zone
Simon KACIMAIWAI, Head Coach
Mark BERNAYS, Asst Coach
Wayne AFRIKA, S&C Coach
TBA, Manager

U16 Sydney Barbarians
Alex PRENDERGAST, Head Coach
Bernie RORKE, Asst Coach
Tim DALECKI, S&C Coach
Rod DUFFICY, Manager

SJRU Sydney Teams
Sydney Under 14
Bill BELL, Head Coach
Ian WESTWOOD, Asst Coach
n/a, S&C Coach
Laurie McMARTIN, Manager

Sydney Under 15
James BARKELL, Co-Coach
Joel RIVERS, Co-Coach
Luke FERRIS, Asst Coach
Guy MILLER, Asst Coach
Roger JONES, S&C Coach
Sean IRVINE, Manager
Dane COLE CLARK, Physio

Sydney Under 16
Jed HOGAN, Head Coach
Jonathan WALSH, Asst Coach
Gerard McLENAGHAN, Asst Coach
Glen PILCHER, S&C Coach
Greg McLAREN, Manager
Narelle VEVERKA, Physio

Sydney Under 17
Francis CULLIMORE, Coach
Ben RUTHERFORD, Asst Coach
Michael CROSS, Asst Coach
Matt SAID, S&C Coach
TBA, Manager
Chris GRIFFITHS, Physio

Sydney Under 18
Kolose FEAUNATI, Co-Coach
David ZWART, Co-Coach
Tim DALECKI, S&C Coach
TBA, Manager
Chris GRIFFITHS, Physio

http://juniors.rugby.com.au/Portals/1/Images/2014 SJRU Representative Coaching Appointments.pdf

Thanks HJ

Given the ongoing spirited debate about the 2013 U15 selections, anyone know where the U16 coaches hail from this year? And the other age groups while we are at it?

And are there non coach selectors? If so where are they named? A bit of transparency at grass roots level wouldn't be too much to ask, would it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
U 16
MNZ Manager Hunter Hill pres for a few years, I think.
Babas coach was a Gordon player (winger) in the 80's - no connections to current U16s as far as I know; Asst Coach is a Gordon stalwart (2nd row/backrow) with a nephew or son of some note but not in this age group.
Jed Hogan ran JGC in the east in 2012/13 and is a teacher at Trinity (assistant coach 1 and 2s), and coached Sydney u16s last year I think - as are the coach and assistant coach for Sydney U15 - the coach (Barkell) having played test rugby for Holland, IIRC, and ran Southern Districts Colts and was coach NSW u17s in 2012.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks IS. Seems like u16 baba's would be Gordon-centric this year if anything other than unbiased.

But first and foremost, a big vote of thanks to all of those listed for taking the time and effort to bother, particularly those who have no connections in the age group or any other vested interest.

rams

Stan Wickham (3)
U15's Southern Zone
Connell Byrne is a third grade coach at Southern Districts & will also be the Southern Districts U15's coach
Tony Buchanan is the Sylvania U15's coach, given that Sylvania is the only 15's team in the district this will be the rep team
Craig Townsend is the Sylvania President
U16's Assistant Coach mark Bernays is the oatley opens coach as well as the Southern Districts 17's coach

it was my understanding that a district coach could not coach a zone side in the same age group, so much for that policy in the 15's

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thanks IS. Seems like u16 baba's would be Gordon-centric this year if anything other than unbiased.

But first and foremost, a big vote of thanks to all of those listed for taking the time and effort to bother, particularly those who have no connections in the age group or any other vested interest.

I'm pretty sure that the coaches have no say in selections plus I've seen Prendergast's name around for a while so I suspect he is building a CV for more senior coaching jobs and favouritism does not sit well with ambition.

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
U15's MNZ Coach Tom Kellaway was the coach of last years u14's Hunters Hill team and he was also the assist coach of the North Harbour u15's JGC team.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
U10s Tournament will be held on Sunday June 29th at Narrabeen

Why would they hold the 10s during the school holidays?

(Assuming that we should even be running rep matches for 10s-12s)

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
U15's MNZ Coach Tom Kellaway was the coach of last years u14's Hunters Hill team and he was also the assist coach of the North Harbour u15's JGC team.

Must be a good coach.
This HH U14s team is the highly successful team that is aka Norths and won the state champs in 14s last year.
Not sure who is coaching the team this year now that they are 15s but they have won their two first games in the 15As very convincingly.
(The 15As is a much smaller group of teams than the 14As last year - I wonder what will happen next year in the 16As).

I expect to see this team at the finals of the 15s state champs in Drummoyne come Queens Birthday Monday. And it will be deserved IMO.

And the bulk of the team of course in the MNZ U15s.

rams

Stan Wickham (3)
For Zones as well?
yes. for zones as well. Sydney coaches may have an input with certain players they may want to have a look at but the coaches still have a big say. Hard to believe rugby attracts so much criticism for nepotism & politics with a system like that, totally different to what happens in the other game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How many training sessions does a SJRU Regional Coach actually get with the boys before the regional tournament?

What changes can they actually make to establish a winning culture, strategy and skills in the team that are not inherent in the boys already?

Throw in the dodgy June weather and the propensity of councils to shut an oval at the slightest drop of rain, and the Regional Coaches and managers are mere caretakers and innocent bystanders in the overall rugby development continuum.

At best they reinforce a passion for the game played in heaven with the kids, at worst - well most kids aren't stupid and they have a rather well tuned self interest radar - cream will rise to the surface if they keep the passion and love for the game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hard to believe rugby attracts so much criticism for nepotism & politics with a system like that, totally different to what happens in the other game.

We have a very small gene pool and we also have parents who are used to getting their own way all jockeying for positions in rep teams.

I again question the worth of all these levels of representation.

League has a district rep team at 14s, 16s and 18s and that's about it. They spend the rest of the junior time at their junior club learning the game and enjoying themselves.

Soccer has even less rep type levels.

We have the lowest (by far) level of participation and the most (by far) levels of representative teams.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.