• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WRITERS WANTED - SCHOOLBOY RUGBY

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
As you may have noticed, G&GR has been upping our efforts with the coverage of #3rdTier rugby. Our forums are already a hotbed of discussion about grassroots rugby and we want to provide more focus for it on the front page as well.

And thus opportunities are born for budding writers to get their views and talents shared on the unofficial home of Aussie rugby - Green and Gold Rugby. Illustrious careers have been launched in just such a manner.

Specifically, we're looking for Rugby interested writers to provide reports, previews, round ups and features about any of the first grade club rugby or schoolboy competitions in Australia. Show ability and application over time, and you well move into covering the Super Rugby and/or International game, should that be your desire.

What's in it for you?As you've probably guessed, this isn't a paid position (although there is a potential for a bit of old fashioned 'boot money' over time if things work out). What you will most definitely get however is
  1. Experience - we'll share with you all our knowhow on the cutting edge of sports blogging and writing
  2. Exposure - while G&GR gets literally millions of hits, what always impresses us are who some of those people are: international and Super players, coaches and staff, journalists, editors, sponsors.
  3. Identity - we'll also help you build your online identity through our social media channels as well as what you develop on the site through your body of work
  4. Mateship - we all have a ball doing this both offline and online. If you enjoy the people you meet through rugby, you'll love it here
What are our requirements?
  • A deep love and knowledge of rugby
  • Writing proficiency - you don't have to be Dostoevsky, but a decent standard is important
  • Style - if you've read G&GR you'll see we're pretty open stylistically. What we do try and do though is always represent a balanced view, even if delivered with passion or humour. Please don't apply to pump up your club, school or favourite players
  • Commitment - it may only be one 500 word article a week, but we need it consistently - no 'fly by nights'
  • Accuracy - we need the facts, figures, scores and names right, otherwise it's egg on face and a reaming in the comments
If you're up for it then get in touch through our CONTACT US PAGE and denote that you're looking to write with us.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
We are looking for writers for 2013 now.

If folks can contribute please let us know on this thread.

I will be helping to organise NSW content so if anybody is watching the GPS, CAS and ISA schools, or any other school association, play every week and is interested in writing a few lines let us know on this thread.

For Queensland contact "armatt"

There are also games outside of the private schools system including Waratah Shield matches in NSW, and games between the junior unions.

We need folks who will be attending such junior union rep games to report on what the set up for a particular state or territory is, and what is happening on a national basis - and also to report on trials and who are emerging as future stars.

And there is nothing wrong in having an opinion piece or two commenting on how rugby is organised outside of the private schools system, and how it can be improved.

There's lots of good schools stuff to write about, not just the games - please give it a go.

Thanks

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oom Lee you are not interesting in SA Schools, maybe the top20, some piccies and a few more? I am living in the heart of it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thank you PB - always great to talk to you - but we are just talking about Australian Schools rugby.

But keep your ear to the ground. South African Schools are visiting Australia this year and playing 'tests' against Oz, NZ and Fiji Schools, all in Australia.

Once the RSA Schools team is picked it would be great to hear from you about who their star players are - and why they are.

Cheers

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
A question in relation to this, and some thing from the picndrive website set up by 'The Juggler' and a comment from HJ about taking 'the odd polaroid'.

Does anyone know what legal requirements or restrictions there may be on reporting schoolboy rugby?Though most of of the writing would be relating to the 1XV and not, for example, the 9C's, but there does seem to be a lot of sensitivity about un-related people being near bunches of kids. Especially middle aged men with cameras at kids' sporting activities. And unfortunately, these days, a lot of the concern is justified and necessary (and for people like me who come from a far more gentle and innocent age, I do find this terribly sad). I guess at the very least a simple request to the schools involved might suffice, but in a PC and litigious heavy society other precautions may be required.

Though I have trotted off to watch many school boy games, occassionally writing up the odd one, without experincing such issues yet. So I may be overstating any such potential problem.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Fair concern Elfster

But if you read our coverage I don't think anyone could see anything untoward involved in it. We are also very careful about comment moderation of this particular age group. Schoolboy rugby has been reported - although patchily - for many years and I don't see anything different here.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm just quoting myself from a year ago and changing the year so it comes up again, because it is valid every year and some folks may read it because it's a new post.

We are looking for writers for 2014 now.

If folks can contribute please let us know on this thread.

I will be helping to organise NSW content so if anybody is watching the GPS, CAS and ISA schools, or any other school association, play every week and is interested in writing a few lines let us know on this thread.

There are also games outside of the private schools system including Waratah Shield matches in NSW, and games between the junior unions.

We need folks who will be attending such junior union rep games to report on what the set up for a particular state or territory is, and what is happening on a national basis - and also to report on trials and who are emerging as future stars.

And there is nothing wrong in having an opinion piece or two commenting on how rugby is organised outside of the private schools system, and how it can be improved.

There's lots of good schools stuff to write about, not just the games - please give it a go.

Thanks

The same applies in Queensland too, or anywhere else in the country—just put your hand up here.

If you are too shy to put your name forward here but are kinda interested just send me a "conversation" (or to TheKing for Queensland schools games.)

Thank you.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Big schoolboy rugby in SA on the go at this very moment. SA Wilde Klawer top 14 schools into battle. Do you need fresh news like in the past I gave you about the Aussie SA schoolboy chicken runners?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA S15 teams is playing like dog shite at the moment, I am now only on the schoolboy line walking addiction.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks Joe Mac I'll send you a convo.

Anybody else?

We need CAS writers right now - especially those who watch Aloys and Waverley games.

Just 2-3 games during the season would be fine.

Footy Kid 10

Frank Row (1)
Would definitely be keen to write up anything for the CAS/GPS competition..let me know

Will do - I hear that Rats' fans can write OK.

Will send you a convo.

LG