• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Let's hope both these stories are nothing. If they are interested then the ARU should maintain its stance come for the game not the dollars. Both are notable enought to chase like SBW or Izzy. In saying this wouldn't it be another kick in the teethe to RL to lose a couple more profile players

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is a handful of loig players who would pay for themselves, one way or another, if they moved to our game. Folau's balance sheet is overwhelmingly in the black, just as some of us predicted after his signing was announced. Players like Tuqiri who, with all his faults and failings, brought in the crowds.

Obviously the list would start with the stars like Inglis, Thurston, and the like. Fifita might fit into that category, I do not know enough about him.

If a marquee player of that standing was interested, the ARU should adopt an entrepreneurial stance, and take the financial risk on - because in reality, apart from either injury or lack of motivation, there is really no risk.

However, any lower ranked player, like some of the names mentioned above (Sims, Te'o, Inu), should only be signed by a Soup franchise (if any wants one of them), with no ARU top-up unless, and until, they are consistently selected for a Wallabies 23. Test match payments should be enough incentive for most recruits. If not, stay in loig, or go to Europe or Japan.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why would you hope these stories are nothing? Even if they go to rugby elsewhere it's still a good thing for our code. Lot of those players will realise there's better alternatives than league.

T

TOCC

If a marquee player of that standing was interested, the ARU should adopt an entrepreneurial stance, and take the financial risk on - because in reality, apart from either injury or lack of motivation, there is really no risk.

No risk?
Benji Marshall, Timana Tahu, Nathan Blacklock...

Players like Thurston and Inglis are now earning minimum $1million/season. Who does the ARU cut of they so they can sign these blokes.. Quade, Nick Cummins, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Benn Robinson?

Thurston is 30yrs old and plays very similar to Benji, drifting across field picking runners.. He also shovels the ball when he passes, he would need to completely change his playing style to play rugby..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
No risk?

Benji Marshall, Timana Tahu, Nathan Blacklock.
Did you actually understand what I wrote? I was not talking about players like Marshall, Tahu, or Blacklock. Or Ryan McGoldrick. o_O

I do not watch loig. So I am not up to date on which players genuinely fit into the category of Folau or Inglis marquee signings. Maybe Thurston would not. Who cares? My point stands.

Players like Thurston and Inglis are now earning minimum $1million/season. Who does the ARU cut of they so they can sign these blokes.. Quade, Nick Cummins, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Benn Robinson?
Who did the ARU cut so that they could sign Folau?

Thurston is 30yrs old and plays very similar to Benji, drifting across field picking runners

I have never seen Thurston play, I have no idea how old he is, I used his name as an example of the sort of player who might pay for themselves.

You've got a closed mind. What was your reaction to the Folau signing? Presumably, based upon your current "thinking", you were against it?.

T

TOCC

Mate I'm going to ignore the patronising comments..

What I will say, is if Benji Marshall doesn't fit the marquee status you allude too for drawing crowds and marketing then who does? How many boxes does he need to tick, Rugby League Golden Boot(IRLF worlds best player), World Cup Winning captain, most capped New Zealand captain, DallyM Halfback of the year, NRL All Stars Captain... More importantly he was named rugby leagues most marketable player as recently as 2011 and only 12 months ago he was listed as the second most marketable player only behind Cameron Smith..

Izzy Folau was signed on a bargain contract due to many factors, that's a completely different scenario..

If the ARU were to chase someone like Inglis who was reported to have signed a $1million/season contract, then I will ask you again, which Wallabies will be cut? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Cummins?

How is there no risk?
Surely you see the financial risk of signing 3 or 4 'marquee' NRL players on contracts of around $1million/annum each.. Something will have to give, some existing players will have to be cut and there is absolutely no guarantee that these players will make good test players.

starkz

Frank Nicholson (4)
Jamal Idris would be amazing in union, and is way better suited to union than league, mostly due to his size and break tackle ability.
Someone like Sandow, I think would be appalling in union, due to his poor defensive game, lack of size, lack of a brilliant pass and lack of a kicking game.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Obviously the list would start with the stars like Inglis, Thurston, and the like. Fifita might fit into that category, I do not know enough about him.

As good as Fifita was (and he was VERY good) he has only ever played 1 good league season.

We don't know if he can produce that form again in league, let alone in a code he's never played professionally.

I'd love to see him try though, for a FAIR price.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I would
Mate I'm going to ignore the patronising comments..

What I will say, is if Benji Marshall doesn't fit the marquee status you allude too for drawing crowds and marketing then who does? How many boxes does he need to tick, Rugby League Golden Boot(IRLF worlds best player), World Cup Winning captain, most capped New Zealand captain, DallyM Halfback of the year, NRL All Stars Captain. More importantly he was named rugby leagues most marketable player as recently as 2011 and only 12 months ago he was listed as the second most marketable player only behind Cameron Smith..

Izzy Folau was signed on a bargain contract due to many factors, that's a completely different scenario..

If the ARU were to chase someone like Inglis who was reported to have signed a $1million/season contract, then I will ask you again, which Wallabies will be cut? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Cummins?

How is there no risk?
Surely you see the financial risk of signing 3 or 4 'marquee' NRL players on contracts of around $1million/annum each.. Something will have to give, some existing players will have to be cut and there is absolutely no guarantee that these players will make good test players.
I would swap Inglis for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) any day.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Jamal Idris would be amazing in union, and is way better suited to union than league, mostly due to his size and break tackle ability.
Someone like Sandow, I think would be appalling in union, due to his poor defensive game, lack of size, lack of a brilliant pass and lack of a kicking game.
I think Dave Taylor would be a standout, I see him as having all the skills of Higgers

T

TOCC

I would
I would swap Inglis for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) any day.

On talent alone so would I, but who else would you also cut? The point is someone like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is probably earning $500'000 a year, that's still less then half of the salary required to recruit a player like Inglis who signed for over a $1million/year on his last contract.. So you're going to need to cut players like To'omua and Palu just to afford him. Recruit another two or three NRL superstar players like Inglis and your going to have nothing left in the bank for blokes like the Honeybadger, Hooper, TPN.. That's a lot of risk for a player who might pull a 'Benji'.

Izzy fell into rugby unions lap on a bargain price because the NRL screwed themselves over... You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime and the ARU has had theirs with izzy.

Apart from Inglis, who is obviously the games best player who else would you willingly fork out $1million on.. Cameron Smith(30), Jonathon Thuraton(30), Billy Slater(30), Cooper Cronk(30), Glenn Stewart(30).. All the best players with marketing power are hitting the twilight a of their careers or a douches like Todd Carney.. Maybe a new up and comer like Anthony Milford, Hopoate or Jennings, big risk though :/

You want to sign an NRL player, target a younger & cheaper bloke like Tuivasa-Sheck and Waerea-Hargreaves who have rugby union backgrounds but enormous talent.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Free market forces will ensure that the only loig players who switch to rugby are those who really want to play our game. They will not be doing it to earn more money, that is for sure (in Australia, that is).

T

TOCC

Free market forces will ensure that the only loig players who switch to rugby are those who really want to play our game. They will not be doing it to earn more money, that is for sure (in Australia, that is).

what is this comment directed at? o_O

T

TOCC

You will have to excuse me for questioning the purpose of that comment, given you pointed out something that i assumed was common knowledge i thought there may have been a purpose or the comment was directed at something i missed..

Wamberal, i applaud you for informing the forum that Australia is a free market that wages will play a big part in determining where a person chooses to work.... I hope you an I can continue to have discussions(minus the patronising comments) in the future.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I think he was just saying that there's not really a realistic prospect of earning more in Australian rugby than in Australian league, so the only converts will be people who are genuinely keen.

I think there are probably exceptions to that rule, but in general it's probably on the money.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think he was just saying that there's not really a realistic prospect of earning more in Australian rugby than in Australian league, so the only converts will be people who are genuinely keen.

I think there are probably exceptions to that rule, but in general it's probably on the money.

Er, yes. That's what I said.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jamal Idris is one of the laziest fat fucks to play any professional sport outside of baseball where it appears to be encouraged.

The only thing he has in common with rugby backs is a stupid haircut.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Bryce Hegarty is doing okay. Steve Meehan looks promising. Beau Robinson, of course, played some loig, not sure at what level. Joe Tomane has had his (few) moments - he does look a lot better this year, let's hope he continues to improve (he must be playing for a contract!)

Will Chambers was the last big flop.