• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Bulls, round 10 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dennis will move into 2nd row and Skelton will sit on the bench if Palu is fit and Hoiles will drop out of the 23 as he was supposed to do last night.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Dennis will move into 2nd row and Skelton will sit on the bench if Palu is fit and Hoiles will drop out of the 23 as he was supposed to do last night.

You're probably right, Dennis was the heart and soul of our lineout and that would be stuffed without him. But I thought Douglas was pretty anonymous last night and that may just be fatigue. He's played a lot of minutes this year. So maybe Douglas to the bench and have him come on after 50 mins.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You're probably right, Dennis was the heart and soul of our lineout and that would be stuffed without him. But I thought Douglas was pretty anonymous last night and that may just be fatigue. He's played a lot of minutes this year. So maybe Douglas to the bench and have him come on after 50 mins.

I think that's probably more likely.
Skelton went OK - although the way he hits some of those rucks I think Tahs players are just as much at risk as the opponents

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Besides the Shorks playing Jakeball, your attacking prowess is shallow as fuck.

Actually they were doing shit quite well - every time they pushed a pass. They were carving off good metres with the ball in hand but just pushing a pass here and there stymied it all. Too much offloading in traffic.

"Besides the Sharks playing Jakeball..." - This version of Jakeball is exactly why the Sharks will NOT win the comp. It is also the reason they will struggle on tour because if they fall behind there is no plan B, just like Brumbieball circa 2013.

The Boks played a totally different game plan towards the end of last year's comp and on the EOYT, but that's another discussion.

The Tahs really are the "almost" team of the comp. It's almost there, expect that dropped pass. I'm really trying to understand what the problem is because this is a very, very good squad playing miles below par. I want them to do well, believe me.

I think they are getting themselves tied in a knot with Beale and Foley on the park. Foley really looking less and less like a 10 that can lead a team to the title.

Look at all the teams who have won in the last ten years. They have all had a flyhalf who was mercurial in their own way. Carter, Steyn, Cooper, Cruden. All world class. Foley?

Like someone said earlier in the thread. Horne sudden,ly looked like a 12 playing in 12. Beale looks like a magician when he bamboozles the oppo. Problem is there is not enough meat and potatoes happening from the second receiver out when it is needed. You can't fancy footwork and let rip every time.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced this 10/12 setup is a fuckup.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can't see Dennis ahead of Skelton and Douglas in the 2nd row. I thought Skelton in particular has been playing well - he's a bit of a wrecking machine in the forwards. At best Dennis comes on to replace him at the 60 minute mark.

Surely we haven't gone into a season with our lineout revolving around Dennis and it can't operate without him? (or anyone else for that matter)

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
He isn't providing impact in the 80minutes that he has been out there, why would he be better for 25, he goes altogether.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He's a fresh pair of legs - someone has to be on the bench. I did say "at best":).

Depends on the balance of the bench.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've already solved the Dennis/Skelton/Palu/Others problem if you'd all like to step over to the Blues v Tahs match thread.

You're welcome.

This version of Jakeball is exactly why the Sharks will NOT win the comp. It is also the reason they will struggle on tour because if they fall behind there is no plan B, just like Brumbieball circa 2013.

I agree - on tour they come up against some pretty tough opponents (the Brumbies clash will be spicy as fuck - Canberrans have long memories crammed into tiny minds). The pack is protecting the rookie halves well but shit will get real when its cold and not humid enough for kicking the shit out of it to yield handling errors.

Apparently there is friction emerging between Jake and some senior players @Blue - any comment on that?

I think they are getting themselves tied in a knot with Beale and Foley on the park. Foley really looking less and less like a 10 that can lead a team to the title.

Look at all the teams who have won in the last ten years. They have all had a flyhalf who was mercurial in their own way. Carter, Steyn, Cooper, Cruden. All world class. Foley?

Cruden is a good player. Would I say he's world class? Well, his forward pack was working its arse off for him (both at provincial and national level) and he had some good okes around him in the backline. He's tricky, that's for sure. But the ABs can win a World Cup with Stephen Donald coming into 10 so I'm not sure the argument holds water in terms of "world class". Just like Morne can kick goals from anywhere but isn't in the top 10 when it comes to running or passing. He works as part of the machine he's in.

I think Foley can do the job if, as you say, the dual playmakers setup is abandoned. He has a good pass either direction, and can make gaps, or run into them. He lacks a great kicking game (in the same way Steyn has a great kicking game but a so-so running game) but if he has Horne hitting up on his inside shoulder, the other things fade a little.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Foley can do the job if, as you say, the dual playmakers setup is abandoned. He has a good pass either direction, and can make gaps, or run into them. He lacks a great kicking game (in the same way Steyn has a great kicking game but a so-so running game) but if he has Horne hitting up on his inside shoulder, the other things fade a little.

Horne needs to play 12 to take the heat off Foley / Beale who should play 10 and one of them on the bench. Beale at 10 would be my choice every day of the week. Horne is the perfect foil for a ball playing 10.

I just don't get the plan. It looks spectacular for about 2 moves a game. The rest of the time it is pretty ineffective.

As for Cruden I will beg to differ. He has matured into a world class player. Kicks his goals, passes equally well both ways, not scared to take on the link and a better than useful kicking game out of hand. Who in the comp can you genuinely say is better than him?

The Chiefs are totally different team without him.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Horne needs to play 12 to take the heat off Foley / Beale who should play 10 and one of them on the bench. Beale at 10 would be my choice every day of the week. Horne is the perfect foil for a ball playing 10.

I just don't get the plan. It looks spectacular for about 2 moves a game. The rest of the time it is pretty ineffective.

As for Cruden I will beg to differ. He has matured into a world class player. Kicks his goals, passes equally well both ways, not scared to take on the link and a better than useful kicking game out of hand. Who in the comp can you genuinely say is better than him?

The Chiefs are totally different team without him.

If you posted the suggestion of putting Beale into 10 a week ago I would have suspected a trojan horse.
Agree re Cruden: the most unlikely looking good footballer going around?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Crowd was quoted somewhere as 15,773. If we beat the Blues and the Canes show form, I think we can crack 20k in a couple of weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.