• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Really Roy? A RUPA report stated:

" even more so if that competition is structured to contain a lot of dud product,"

That was a real report?

to be fair the report was really more of a letter between old mates: see the Awfule Truth about Australian Rugby's finances thread

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pulver has just fielded some questions from the ABC Shute Shield team: i interpreted his comments to quite openly blame his predecessor for the lack of free to air coverage which is the result, he implied (at least), was verboten by the Fox agreement.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Pulver has just fielded some questions from the ABC Shute Shield team: i interpreted his comments to quite openly blame his predecessor for the lack of free to air coverage which is the result, he implied (at least), was verboten by the Fox agreement.
Interesting. TBF, if he does get a good deal with a FTA component, he'll be in a good position to pontificate.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The Pope will make him a saint if he performs those two miracles:
1)Super Rugby onto FTA TV without too many strings attached
2)TV rights go up substantially

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The previous Pontiff was a rugby player in his younger days.

If the current one? He is ex Argentina so there is a slight chance.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
to be fair the report was really more of a letter between old mates: see the Awfule Truth about Australian Rugby's finances thread

Exactly, not a "report" at all. If Roy Masterbaiter wanted, he could find comments on here that slag rugby wholesale, but its not like its official.

Baby steps.

First we get one game a week - Saturday night - onto FTA with no rival codes on at the same time. I will watch it no matter who is playing, because it will be an Aussie game.

It naturally follows that, with another party chipping in for rights, the deal goes up. BUT this slice of the pie must NOT go anywhere near RUPA or into salaries for the ARU. This is a war chest, and is required for the ARU to develop and promote the game. They can't just figure because its on TV that the crowds will flock. They need to take that money and actively generate interest for the game.

Reactions: mst

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I'd take plenty of strings.

You want a highlights show at 3am for free? Sure, we live in the ages of IQ and Tivo afterall.

Foxtel need to pull their head out of the sand and realise that if they let people wet their beaks then they might have some new sign-ups for the sports package. It's a win-win.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Am I the only person in Australia with T Box?

Maybe you're one of the few with enough spare money to sign up to Telstra? :)

Foxtel need to pull their head out of the sand and realise that if they let people wet their beaks then they might have some new sign-ups for the sports package. It's a win-win.

Foxtel will NEVER do that while they're busily pouring money into discovering what this newfangled "interwebs" thing is about. The silly bastards could have nearly national coverage (instead of 25-30%) if they tailored the options better.

I'd pay $50 a month for FS1, 2, and 3 on an iQHD. No other channels required. But no, the silly bastards want $90 for that and provide "a value for money package with 40 other channels!" which is bullshit.

I'd consider getting Foxtel GO but it only supports two devices simultaneously, and none of my TVs will run the app in order for me to get the kids off my back. Plus Cartoon Network ends up being all my kids do, and fuck that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No idea.

But Bigpond = Telstra. The most ripping-offiest of internet packages since day 1. Every now and then - particularly after the wife went back to Telstra Mobile - I look up their "value for money" packages to see if they've come to their senses.

But no, they're quite happy riding a gigantic cock made out of money and the souls of the damned.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No idea.

But Bigpond = Telstra. The most ripping-offiest of internet packages since day 1. Every now and then - particularly after the wife went back to Telstra Mobile - I look up their "value for money" packages to see if they've come to their senses.

But no, they're quite happy riding a gigantic cock made out of money and the souls of the damned.

if you actually want to be able to make and receive mobile calls Telstra is the only solution.
If you want to watch s15 you need foxtel.
etc etc.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I dunno - I have the fortune of living on the edges of Sydney so Optus gets me by. And my ISP gives me a good deal for $17 a month - no-one else has come close. It is a bit sparse when I occasionally get back out into the bush, but then I give approximately zero fucks (squared) for mobile reception when I'm out bush. I lived without it for the first half of my life, after all :)

The wife on the other hand - if she can't get 3G she starts to get mighty nervous.

The irony is that the Telstra voice service she gets is roughly equal to mine at our house - both are grey areas on the respective coverage maps, despite being in the growth corridor.

T

TOCC

I travel extensively, and I wouldn't get anything but Telstra.. You pay a premium for mobile coverage, but it's reflected in their coverage and service.

Same can't be said about their broadband packages though, they are really below par.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Night games in NZ and East Coast Australia air at 9:30am and 11:30am in South Africa. This is a reasonable time to watch rugby and we know the South Africans watch these games on TV.

A 7:30pm game in South Africa airs at 1:30am in NZ and 3:30am on the East Coast of Australia. We know that the ratings are poor for these games in NZ and Australia.

Could the NZ and Australian games that are played in SA always be played mid morning so they are broadcast into Australia and NZ at a reasonable time? We know the Saffas will watch these games and it will boost the ratings for theses games in Australia and NZ if they are shown at a decent hour. They could schedule:
- a midday game on a Sunday in SA which would be prime time in Australia on a Sunday night. Surely that would interest the broadcasters.
- a game early afternoon in SA would allow for three games back to back similar to what we have when Perth play at home.

Creative scheduling could really improve viewership. We should utilise the time zone changes to get more out of Super Rugby.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
First we get one game a week - Saturday night - onto FTA with no rival codes on at the same time. I will watch it no matter who is playing, because it will be an Aussie game.

WTF? Does that mean you wouldn't be gracing us with your presence at Tahs home games anymore? :(

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
WTF? Does that mean you wouldn't be gracing us with your presence at Tahs home games anymore? :(

Depends who is buying the beer :)

Actually, the boy had a good time out so despite the enormous fucking hassle of trucking into Moore Park, I'll probably still get a membership next year, and do some father/son bonding. Might reduce my ability to get to pubs though