• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ANZAC Day anthems - BRU vs CHI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So work backwards and start the Anthems bit earlier to keep the kickoff at the Scheduled Broadcast time.

If it doesn't make the Live broadcast, so what?

Timing is all dictated by sanzar in consultation with broadcasters. They want away team running out with 2.5 minutes to go. Home team running out with 1.5 to go and then kick off.

They don't want to stop of flow for a couple of NATIONAL anthem between two teams that aren't NATIONS.

Even have to get approval for the ode. Which is usually forthcoming.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
More remarkable is that there are only 4 Australian winners alive today - three of them with the more modern VC for Australia (Donaldson SASR, Roberts-Smith SASR, Keighran 6RAR) and one with the "Imperial" VC (Keith Payne AATV). Believe they're all in town for ANZAC Day commemoration.

Payne had balls as large as church bells - how he dragged them around Vietnam I'll never know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Payne

The NVA probably thought: Fuck this, we can't kill this white guy. Let him go.

Having retired from the Army in the 70s, he got bored, so went off and fought commies in Oman.

Pretty special occasion having all of the VC's attend and will certainlymake it a special day of Rugby.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Timing is all dictated by sanzar in consultation with broadcasters. They want away team running out with 2.5 minutes to go. Home team running out with 1.5 to go and then kick off.

They don't want to stop of flow for a couple of NATIONAL anthem between two teams that aren't NATIONS.

Even have to get approval for the ode. Which is usually forthcoming.

Scheduling wont be an issue as far as I can discern as Fox sports has an established format to its telecast that does allow variation for occasions such as ANZAC day as we have seen with the ode and playing of the last post prior to NZ and Australian games in the past.

Also a quick glance at the TV schedule will reveal that Fox sports is doing its live broadcast from Canberra including the "rugby central" stuff so although its not to try to get on tv, it could be bloody hard to cover up when you are doing an outside on field live broadcast!

One thing that may test SANZAR's resolve is if any of the anthems get any where near TV exposure it would be embarrassing to them not to have the players on field for ceremonies that include the reading of the Ode, the Last Post and anthems.

starkz

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gotta love the Ruckus crew.
I imagine that most of the crowd will be singing the national anthem, mostly in protest of SANZARs decision not to play the anthem. I will certainly be singing along.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Gotta love the Ruckus crew.
I imagine that most of the crowd will be singing the national anthem, mostly in protest of SANZARs decision not to play the anthem. I will certainly be singing along.

I really hope we can also get enough support in the crowd (and enough Kiwi's) so both anthems can get sung. A full ANZAC "stick it" to SANZAR

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New Zealand National Anthem
Māori verse: "Aotearoa"

E Ihowā Atua,
O ngā iwi mātou rā
Āta whakarangona;
Me aroha noa
Kia hua ko te pai;
Kia tau tō atawhai;
Manaakitia mai
Aotearoa

God of Nations at Thy feet,
In the bonds of love we meet,
Hear our voices, we entreat,
God defend our free land.
Guard Pacific's triple star
From the shafts of strife and war,
Make her praises heard afar,
God defend New Zealand.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've heard the NZ national anthem so many times I can almost completely reproduce the Maori bit from memory. Just a few of the tricky softer consonants are the issue.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Is there a game on Friday, or does the winner of the anthem singing get the points?

The game is the centre piece as always which goes without saying, but although some of are more than happy with that one element, some of are also just trying to do our little bit towards making it an "event" to help get bums on seats and try and counter the decline in the game, its finances including the financial position of the Brumbies (thus bums on seats) and the old fashioned attitudes that dragged it down.

I am pretty confident that like me (and Mrs Mst), Merrow, and the Ruckus Crew do go firstly and foremost for the game.

We do not want to be like the Reds as mentioned earlier in this thread that missed the opportunity to make the ANZAC game something through inaction or be like this (thanks pfhizy):

The problem there is I listen to some of the . more . uh, "dignified" gents when I'm at some of the games, and they think a lot like the fat turd. The game to them is still some sort of Boys' Own story and I don't think a lot of them appreciate the truths of the situation.

Like Poidevin, some of these people still think club rugby is the answer, because it was jolly well good enough for them in the past.

Which is where that kind of thinking belongs.

So I'm doing my bit - I bought my 4 game membership but also bought the family pass for last night. The Lions game I'll probably get another family pass, and use the other 3 games I've got left on the membership for the Saturday night loners when I leave the tin lids at home. I put away about $400 for last night including tickets, dinner, parking, and tolls. I could have saved a bit using public transport, but had to add another hour to the day which I don't really have. I consider it a break-even as the boy had a great time, and the girl was just thrilled to be up after 8PM!

Fingers crossed Carter is fit for the weekend and the boys are on it from the start and the bye hasn't caused any lag.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
All that said - your blokes, like the Tahs, need to start playing a nicer brand of rugby. Jakeball got back the winning mentality, but the Brumbies of old were pointscoring machines, and made people want to go to the stadium regularly. Now, with the pressures of ticket pricing versus PayTV, they need to offer awesomeness live.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
All that said - your blokes, like the Tahs, need to start playing a nicer brand of rugby. Jakeball got back the winning mentality, but the Brumbies of old were pointscoring machines, and made people want to go to the stadium regularly. Now, with the pressures of ticket pricing versus PayTV, they need to offer awesomeness live.

Totally agree with what you are saying and I think we are showing positive signs. Although I am still of the "win first even ugly" school of thought all of us want to be entertained and I think there is a balance in there somewhere which is partly down to attitude as the Kiwi sides show with their style of play. The Saffa defensive system and attitude Jake instilled has been great but stifled us and we are now emerging from that shadow (I hope) and casting a new mould.

I loath this 'äussie" cynical "fear of losing" rugby attitude as much as I loath the saffa all smothering defensive mindset.

I think we are getting there and there seems to be a good balance. We can see what Lord Laurie has built with good physicality from the big boys and most games we have shown what a scrum is for. Bernie is still on his learning curve but we seem to be showing more spark, but injuries are hampering the continuity a little.

Like your Tah's pfitzy, the balance we all seek is a nice combination of winning with tries. Winner attract crowds, tries and attacking exciting rugby attracts more!

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any idea how ticket sales are tracking along? Surely all the locals would have gone away over Easter so you would expect a full complement of members, defence personel, Kiwis and walk-ups on Friday. Surely that would make for a crowd of 15,000 as The Chiefs won the thing last year. What are the Brumbies execs expecting?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I think that the Brumbies are definitely heading that way, we seem to manage three tries in the majority of games. It'd be nice to get that bonus point for 4 try's, but, ultimately I'd prefer to win in whatever way possible. I can't speak for others but Mr Merrow and I go to every game, rain hail or shine (or snow). Our son's one of the Brumbies ball boys. We have a bunch of mates that we meet up with, but hell yeah, we're there for the game first and foremost.

@brumbyrunner I'll be singing both anthems. Nobody, but nobody tells this rugby loving bitch not to do something.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think that the Brumbies are definitely heading that way, we seem to manage three tries in the majority of games. It'd be nice to get that bonus point for 4 try's, but, ultimately I'd prefer to win in whatever way possible. I can't speak for others but Mr Merrow and I go to every game, rain hail or shine (or snow). Our son's one of the Brumbies ball boys. We have a bunch of mates that we meet up with, but hell yeah, we're there for the game first and foremost.

@brumbyrunner I'll be singing both anthems. Nobody, but nobody tells this rugby loving bitch not to do something.

Hi, Mrs MST here. Merrow I agree with every word you say! I'd definitely take the win over a bonus point (yes it would be nice but 4 points is better than 0). We also go to every game, along with my parents, even the ones in the snow! Our son is only 2 but already known to a number of players because he has missed only 2 games in his whole life, 1 through illness and 1 because its impossible to get a 2 year old to stay under an umbrella, so he missed the Blues game. Most of the people who sit around us have been the same group for many years. Even during those years where wins were harder to come by we were there in full voice.

Mst, my parents and myself will all be singing too! SANZAR can shove it!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Like your Tah's pfitzy, the balance we all seek is a nice combination of winning with tries. Winner attract crowds, tries and attacking exciting rugby attracts more!

Not sure what the answer is up our way, because all the tried we scored against the Force, Reds, and Rebels didn't help body numbers. I wasn't expecting a huge crowd on the weekend but they apparently got 15,773. If we beat the Blues then the Canes game might see us crack 20k as it's a kiwi team

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
This is looking more promising than some people's attempts to get Waltzing Matilda going at the Sydney test between the Wallabies and the Lions. That was woeful. Credit to the 10 lads behind me at that game that tried. I'm hoping this isn't all talk! Glad to be a Ruckus crew member! Up the Brums!

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
This is looking more promising than some people's attempts to get Waltzing Matilda going at the Sydney test between the Wallabies and the Lions. That was woeful. Credit to the 10 lads behind me at that game that tried. I'm hoping this isn't all talk! Glad to be a Ruckus crew member! Up the Brums!
Us oldies will certainly get behind you guys. You've added a whole lotta atmosphere, which was sadly lacking. Although I've always given it my best ;)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure what the answer is up our way, because all the tried we scored against the Force, Reds, and Rebels didn't help body numbers. I wasn't expecting a huge crowd on the weekend but they apparently got 15,773. If we beat the Blues then the Canes game might see us crack 20k as it's a kiwi team

@pfitzy - you are always welcome to point the Pathfinder south, pack up the tinlids and join us down here on occasions. We have seats where you can see the game, 3G for Mrs phitzy and Qestacon for the kids and by the sound of your last expedition the travel time wont be too dissimilar;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.