• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Tahs, round 11 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A crunch match for the Blues. Their already slim chances of making the finals will be hanging by a gossamer thin thread if they go down to the Tahs on Anzac Day.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Benchy Marshall is set to be shunted back to the Blues Development squad, and then probably to the UK. Sir John of Kirwan won't last much longer with these guys though I must say the back office at The Blues seems more likely to pick brown chaps who are individually brilliant or large rather than team players who want to die for each other.

Their complete lack of an experienced pakeha flyhalf I submit as evidence. How a player like Jason Woodward missed a contract in NZ is part of a larger, ongoing debate.

If I was picking a Tahs side to win - and fuck the bonus point, this is about winning - it would look like this:

1 Robinson
2 TPN
3 Kepu
4 Douglas
5 Skelton
6 Potgeiter
7 Hooper (c)
8 Palu
9 Lucas
10 Foley
11 Carrarro
12 Horne
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Crawford
15 Folau

16 Latu (needs more game time, and to take the load off TPN)
17 Tilse (ugh)
18 Ryan (ugh)
19 Dennis
20 Hoiles
21 McCutcheon
22 Phipps
23 Beale

Yes that is a 6/2 forwards bench. The idea is simply to bash the shit out of them in the first half, then run what is left of them ragged in the second. Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will need to make sure that the rookie first fives in the Blues setup are nullified and cut off the ball to their dangerous outside backs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Think the Blues have all but given up on this year. Tahs to win but no bonus point.

Not a question of giving up, but what chance do they have with an overpriced recruit who can't flyhalf, and two rookies trying to do the job while their forward pack isn't consistent enough?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Blues seems more likely to pick brown chaps who are individually brilliant or large rather than team players who want to die for each other.)

Geez not a real bright statement Pfitzy, not sure which is worse, your inference that the Island and Maori boys won't give it all for their team, or the one that they have been picked on skin colour!!

(Their complete lack of an experienced pakeha flyhalf I submit as evidence. How a player like Jason Woodward missed a contract in NZ is part of a larger, ongoing debate.)

Who is the experienced pakeha 10 you think they should be playing? (see you ignored Hickey and Noakes their 2 pakeha 10s) All the others are tied up, they tried very hard to get Barrett from the Canes last year, but I guess that doesn't fit in with your allegations!!
As for Woodward, he was in Wgton's ITM cup team, and was to flakey for a Super contract, I know he playing ok now, but not sure he still not really what I call a huge loss, still to prone to dumbness I think!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
and with Kirwan as coach to top it all off ;)

Has Kirwan done anything as a coach?
He hardly had the ideal training for s 15 and, uncharacteristically, he seems to be almost above the considerations that guide rugby thought over the ditch.
Long may that aberration continue.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surgeon Kirwin has the other knight to help him Graham Henry.

I seem to recall him being associated with the Italian National Team and Japanese National Team, prior to the Auckland Blues. He is not new to the coaching job.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Who is the experienced pakeha 10 you think they should be playing? (see you ignored Hickey and Noakes their 2 pakeha 10s) All the others are tied up, they tried very hard to get Barrett from the Canes last year

And apparently Blues management were shifting heaven and earth to get Barrett. But how fucking bad is it when you pick Hammett over SJK and a pile more money?

Effectively Noakes and Hickey are rookies. Not a lot of succession planning going on there. There were some other good 10s around the country went begging, and in any case its very hard slog to be a good 10 when your forward pack isn't playing consistently direct footy. The loss of Kerr was an issue, and Ihaia West isn't quite there yet, though he did some great work in ITM.

And I didn't say that Island/Maori blokes won't die for their team. Just that it seems THOSE blokes won't die for their team. The Blues forward pack has been underperforming for years - I'm an expert in this area because I'm a Tahs fan!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I agree with a lot of Pftizy's team, particularly moving Horne to 12, although whether I'd bench Beale or put him on the wing I'm not so sure. When are Betham and Bread available? I also think Phipps passing has just been too wild, and while I know a lot here don't agree, I've been pretty impressed with McKibbin off the bench this year, and would start him. It also gives us another goalkicking option if Foley has an off day.

I'm sort of hoping having Horne back at 12 allows Foley to go back to his very direct and assured game at 10 we were seeing later in 2013, as he's really slipped into a lot of bad habits this year.

I would be interested in how Mat Lucas has been going from anyone who has seen the Gen Blue games.

As posters here have said, any chance of staying in the finals race for the Blues would rest on winning this. Another loss at home and they can start planning for 2015, so I imagine they will throw everything they can at us. Auckland has been tough going for Australian teams in the past, this will be no different.

T

tranquility

Blues to finally click into gear, and handout a shellacking.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I would be interested in how Mat Lucas has been going from anyone who has seen the Gen Blue games

He was ordinary for Manly against Uni on Saturday. You wouldn't pick him on that form. I'm not even sure he's in the top 10 halves in the country. Nice pass, but too small for Super Rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If I was picking a Tahs side to win - and fuck the bonus point, this is about winning - it would look like this:

Pfitzy, agree with 22/23, but can't agree with Lucas at half. As I said on the Waratahs thread, if it was up to me I'd pick Josh Holmes ahead of Phipps, McKibbin and Lucas. I accept that it will not happen in the short term, so McKibbin to start at 9.

Phipps and Lucas is like having a choice between flat beer and warm beer - not too keen on either;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I seem to recall him being associated with the Italian National Team and Japanese National Team, prior to the Auckland Blues. He is not new to the coaching job.

and both were lacklustre as I recall and neither provides the sort of preparation one might need for a tough week in week out provincial comp.
Much as I dislike Henry, he coached provincially prior to departing - wasn't that when Hart got the gig for the ABs and Lord Graham threw the toys out of the cot?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And apparently Blues management were shifting heaven and earth to get Barrett. But how fucking bad is it when you pick Hammett over SJK and a pile more money?

for me that says it all: the players usually have a fair idea.
And while I'm on it: how's SJK's dress sense? Blue Adidas sneakers (not a navy blue but the same hue as the first choice adidas predators at the moment) with suit pants.
FFS - "flip flops" and tracky dacks would look better

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Much as I dislike Henry, he coached provincially prior to departing - wasn't that when Hart got the gig for the ABs and Lord Graham threw the toys out of the cot?

Hart AB coach 1996-99, SGH coached the Blues 1996-98 (& technical advisor or something in '03), Wales 1998-2002. I do recall plenty of people wanting GH to replace JH after the disaster that was the AB season of '98 but also that he'd already committed to Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.