• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

starkz

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think also maybe Queanbeyan could be worthy of a NRC team. They are traditionally a great rugby star factory, and have a rapidly growing population, and could be the answer if Pulver decides a second ACT team would be a good idea(although Queanbeyan is in NSW, it is pretty much an extension of Canberra)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They did once a upon a time. Issues a plenty arose from clubs within the NHRFU. Though it makes sense to me. I'd like to see the Illawarra re-enter as well.

Yeah I've read a little about that.

Honestly, having 2 or 3 country teams in the SS that feed into this NRC team makes more sense to me than what they're doing now.

It also shows rugby has enough of a base in the area to pursue "performance" rather than "participation" goals, which can lead to their own team and the like.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah I've read a little about that.

Honestly, having 2 or 3 country teams in the SS that feed into this NRC team makes more sense to me than what they're doing now.

It also shows rugby has enough of a base in the area to pursue "performance" rather than "participation" goals, which can lead to their own team and the like.

When discussing the prospect of what to do with the Shute Shield into the future my two suggestions have been to either just expand the competition to include Newcastle-Hunter, Central Coast, Illawarra and the Central West (based in either Bathurst or Lithgow) or split the Shute Shield into two divsions of 8 teams and allow both country teams and ambitions subbies clubs to look to enter.

Either way, I think the Shute Shield should be looking to broaden its participation base and agree it would be a good proving ground for anyone with ambitions to participate in the NRC.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think QBN would really struggle to get a side - it would need to be a combined side with someone else or even players from Monaro even - there are a acouple of Brumbies though from Qbn which could join the side - they def could not have a stand alone side though - they really do not have the depth....

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't really think it would matter where another team came from or what it would be called as long as we had a better path for our local players whether they originally came from the JID Monaro SIRU or FSC comps. We now have the template for possible progression of players that has never existed before in the new professional age. This NRC is what is needed to break the back of the total strangle hold that the SS clubs have had on draining the upcoming player base of all competitions south of the Tweed River. We really must get behind this system and make this work. The only way that the majority of us can do this is to make sure we get to the games and support. The ARU has firmly made sure that fate is now ABSOLUTELY at our feet. I know that this sounds a bit rhetorical but if we are to kick start rugby back into vibrancy like it was in the late 90's & early 2000's then it's all about people through the turnstiles. We have all got associates who all say " I use to go to the games but I don't now". September will be time to drag them along by the ear.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I have not looked into this too deeply and I am sure it has been discussed but what are the number of Super Rugby players that will be playing in the comp -

1. Are all un-selected Wallabies made to play in the NRC?
2. Do they have a choice if they play or not (Super Rugby Players)
3. Does each side have a limit on the number of Super Rugby players they can select?

I.e lets say 10 Brumbies get selected for the Wallabies does that mean we could see 13 Brumbies starting in the Vikings side? and then 10 club players making up the rest? I wouldnt mind that sort of mix - but I would hate to see a whole Brumbies side out there with say 3-4 club players on the bench....

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have not looked into this too deeply and I am sure it has been discussed but what are the number of Super Rugby players that will be playing in the comp -

1. Are all un-selected Wallabies made to play in the NRC?
2. Do they have a choice if they play or not (Super Rugby Players)
3. Does each side have a limit on the number of Super Rugby players they can select?

I.e lets say 10 Brumbies get selected for the Wallabies does that mean we could see 13 Brumbies starting in the Vikings side? and then 10 club players making up the rest? I wouldnt mind that sort of mix - but I would hate to see a whole Brumbies side out there with say 3-4 club players on the bench..

I think we've been told to expect about 15 Super Rugby players allotted to each NRC team. With injuries, managing workload, etc., I think we can expect to see at least 10 Super Rugby players in the average match day 23.

Wallabies will be played in the NRC as is seen fit, probably if they're returning from injury or skinny on gametime.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the Crimes each team will have 16 Super Rugby players (not on test duties) available to them....

Hypothetical starting XV:

1. JP Smith
2. Siliva
3. R Smith
4. Power
5. Carter
6. Smiler
7. Butler
8. Auelua
9. Hoffman
10. Cronje
11. Coleman
12. Tatekawa
13. A Smith
14. Rathbone
15. Mogg

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Does anyone know if Nigel Ah Wong is a potential candidate for inclusion in the squad?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This is the kit for the Sydney Stars. Very Uni looking ... bet there isn't the same fuss about that. Also the colours ... same as ACT colours. I am betting that Uni , sorry, the Stars have more sway than a Canberra team, I doubt we were ever going to have blue/gold as a choice no matter what people want.
stars shirts.png

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Now that we are nearly half way through the John I Dent comp, any more thoughts on players that should be considered for NRC? Any one have an idea on when they may announce squads etc??

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Tim Cree prob has to be 1st on the list from the club players - not sure how many club players they are selecting in the squad? You would hope out of a game day 23 at least 10 would be from the club comp. You would think most will be from Vikings, acouple from Royals, maybe 1-2 from Wests, none from Easts, none from uni-norths and maybe 1-2 from Qbn? Heard Dan Penca is having a great year - you would think he would be on the short list aswell as a backup 7.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
No.8 sounds like there is only one club to play for in Canberra ( Vikings ) sad to think that nobody is good enough from East or Uni to be considered for the NRC side.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tim Cree prob has to be 1st on the list from the club players - not sure how many club players they are selecting in the squad? You would hope out of a game day 23 at least 10 would be from the club comp. You would think most will be from Vikings, acouple from Royals, maybe 1-2 from Wests, none from Easts, none from uni-norths and maybe 1-2 from Qbn? Heard Dan Penca is having a great year - you would think he would be on the short list aswell as a backup 7.

Gungahlin? Hawke?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm starting a petition to have the University of Canberra Vikings renamed to THE ANU Vikings. They will wear gold plated jersies, lower and middle class need not apply for membership tickets, only the pompous and foreigners will be included in the Viking cheer squad.

Go Vikings

:)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm starting a petition to have the University of Canberra Vikings renamed to THE ANU Vikings. They will wear gold plated jersies, lower and middle class need not apply for membership tickets, only the pompous and foreigners will be included in the Viking cheer squad.

Go Vikings

:)
Lets change the name to Vikings Royles Kings of East western White Eagles uni

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
On another note. I have been checking out some of the other NRC forums on G&GR. They all seem to have a bloody good idea who are in their perspective teams, the draws and where they are being played (dates, grounds etc). Why is it that our forum is still obsessed with what colour jersey our team will wear and have no interest in anything else. I have been told that most other franchises in the NRC have announced teams etc. Why are we always looking so unorganised??? Are we waiting for more brumbies/wallabies players to be injured/fit before they announce anything. Other states appear to be way more organised then ourselves. Thoughts anyone????

Status
Not open for further replies.