• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Because it would suggest that an increasingly marginal sport like rugby will not have much FTA interest.
If you can this sort of market share in 2012 and yet no one's bidding 2 years later

IF THE seven-day TV ratings dash were an Olympic event, Australia could add another gold medal to its modest haul.
Television audiences for the Games are swollen beyond expectation, with almost 2½ million people watching nightly on Channel Nine and Foxtel.
http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news...ore-ratings-gold-for-nine-20120805-23o1z.html

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Because it would suggest that an increasingly marginal sport like rugby will not have much FTA interest.
If you can this sort of market share in 2012 and yet no one's bidding 2 years later

The next two or three Olympics will be in time zones that aren't exactly beneficial to our viewing audiences.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I wouldn't be that concerned for rugby. The Olympics is very expensive. It basically requires a dedicated channel to broadcast. It doesn't rate that well and the time zone is rarely that friendly.

Sochi was a flop for TEN, they won't be going back anytime soon.

I thought I read that is was relatively successful. Though I could understand why it wouldn't be all that successful as we aren't a big Winter Olympics nation.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wouldn't be that concerned for rugby. The Olympics is very expensive. It basically requires a dedicated channel to broadcast. It doesn't rate that well and the time zone is rarely that friendly.

Sochi was a flop for TEN, they won't be going back anytime soon.

Thats why I quoted the article: in 2012 9 got 42% of the audience.
But I heard Coates just now saying that Rio is a joke - 2 years out and infrastructure is non-existent and some venues have not even been started on. Water quality unreliable.

T

TOCC

Thats why I quoted the article: in 2012 9 got 42% of the audience.
But I heard Coates just now saying that Rio is a joke - 2 years out and infrastructure is non-existent and some venues have not even been started on. Water quality unreliable.

Ch 9 also reportedly made a $25million loss on the London Olympics..
Might have been popular with the viewers but not the advertisers..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ch 9 also reportedly made a $25million loss on the London Olympics..
Might have been popular with the viewers but not the advertisers..

Is rugby going to fare better on that front? i s'pose its cheaper in the first place.
Does it attract the demographic the advertisers are after?

T

TOCC

Is rugby going to fare better on that front? i s'pose its cheaper in the first place.
Does it attract the demographic the advertisers are after?

I'm not in a positions to answer that, but in the same article you posted it also had the Ch 10 executive chairman saying that he wanted the Super Rugby TV rights... So maybe the answer is yes?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not in a positions to answer that, but in the same article you posted it also had the Ch 10 executive chairman saying that he wanted the Super Rugby TV rights. So maybe the answer is yes?

Is anyone exercising those rights at the moment?
10 need cheap content

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The next two or three Olympics will be in time zones that aren't exactly beneficial to our viewing audiences.

2018 Winter Olympics - Pyeongchang, South Korea
2020 Summer Olympics - Tokyo, Japan

Excellent time zones for Australian audiences. But hard to justify spending hundreds of millions to lose tens of millions.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)

The 2016 Rio games are in a terrible time zone but after that the 2018 Winter Olympics and 2020 Summer Olympics are in South Korea and Japan, which are very good time zones for us. The Winter Olympics will be AEDT -2 and the Summer Olympics will be AEST -1.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The 2016 Rio games are in a terrible time zone but after that the 2018 Winter Olympics and 2020 Summer Olympics are in South Korea and Japan, which are very good time zones for us. The Winter Olympics will be AEDT -2 and the Summer Olympics will be AEST -1.

but still programmed to appeal mostly to the NH (US) market.