• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Reg I hope you didn't pop the Hospital Cup in your box of stuff when you left the Reds!!

Who becomes the custodian of the Hospital Cup now? O'Donaghue, Backstrom or Sauce?

T

Tigers Tale

Anyone got any thoughts on Easts v Uni this Saturday?

If the last two encounters at Bottomley between these clubs is anything to go by it should be a thrilling encounter.

Last year's game at Bottomley is best remembered for Gunn's tackle on Davies but the game was a 22 all draw.

http://www.eyesonrugby.com/blog/young-michael-gunn-cuts-wallaby-rod-davies-in-two-with-big-tackle

And in 2012 at Bottomley Easts staged one of the all time great comebacks to secure victory after trailing 3-29 at half time - see footage link below:

http://vimeo.com/channels/194248/page:14

The undefeated Students would have to start favourites.

something

Jim Clark (26)
hey guys just wondering what type of level third grade is? i know its a broad question but maybe in comparison to like school boys or something? i haven't played for a couple of years and was thinking of having a crack next season i guess.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
hey guys just wondering what type of level third grade is? i know its a broad question but maybe in comparison to like school boys or something? i haven't played for a couple of years and was thinking of having a crack next season i guess.

A hard one to answer most definitely. At most clubs there are usually one or two more teams lower than 3rd grade (assuming youre talking about the old third grade, now known as Brisbane 2nd Grade) so its usually a team with competition for spots. The level of play and player quality will vary depending which club you go to but its usually just outside the whole 'social' team and taken a bit more seriously.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Outside of the Premier teams the names of all the other teams just confuse me. The team that was called 3rd grade when I played is now called 1st grade. The old 3rd grade (1st now) is an ok standard. The new 3rd grade (what was once 5th grade) would be suitable for anyone who has no athletic ability, interest in training or ability to develop any skills.
In saying that it is there for social reasons and not for players pushing to be Wallabies so it is a bit of fun. Also if one of those big bodies hits you it's still going to hurt.

T

Tigers Tale

Jets I agree - why they just don't name the teams as follows is beyond me:

Premier Grade
Prem Reserve
3rd Grade
4th Grade
5th Grade

Prem Colts
Colts 2
Colts 3

That is what they are.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
My understanding is because they are trying to make a difference between 'Premier' teams and the normal club comp.

Having Prem Grade, Reserve and Colts as the top tier who can move freely between the three teams, as Prem colts players can now also play Prem Reserve.

Then 'restarting' the numbering system to signify the start of the Brisbane Club competition. I think. Or not. Who knows?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I actually think the naming of the teams makes more sense this way.

I followed a lot of football a few years back, and the teams were always Premier, Reserve and Premier Youth (Colts).

My mates always picked me up on it when I'd call the old 1st Grade (second highest team) Reserve Grade.

As BigDog said, it makes sense with the players able to move across the teams (ie: Prem Colts to Prem Reserve).

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If Easts' big three are coming back, I'm tipping them. GPS v Norths game will be close as will Bros v Wests. I think the Bank will win their first game as well.

T

Tigers Tale

If Easts' big three are coming back, I'm tipping them. GPS v Norths game will be close as will Bros v Wests. I think the Bank will win their first game as well.

Filth I think Jets Boys might get a sweet one over their south side cousin as well.

T

Tigers Tale

My understanding is because they are trying to make a difference between 'Premier' teams and the normal club comp.

Having Prem Grade, Reserve and Colts as the top tier who can move freely between the three teams, as Prem colts players can now also play Prem Reserve.

Then 'restarting' the numbering system to signify the start of the Brisbane Club competition. I think. Or not. Who knows?

Big Dog I appreciate that they are trying to create the Prems and Bne distinction but it still makes all the other grade very confusing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TT you must be getting caught up in my logic. The Dragons haven't lost a game in almost 3 weeks.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth we will probably get Paraka & Enever this weekend but Placid is tied up with U20s. Interesting to see if McDurling & JJ go to NZ with the Reds - you would think they will - and Gale/Banks would be in same category as Placid. Gunn is still a few weeks away but Easts won't see him until after the U20s. Wilkin is set to start for Prem Colts this Saturday.

T

Tigers Tale

RH - that could be the case he goes back every now and then for short periods of time, but I haven't heard that he's currently in PNG. He didn't train with Easts last night but neither did Enever because they had a heavy session at the Reds yesterday.

Pettowa is more dedicated to his rugby this year than he has ever been before and he is pretty keen to get a S15 contract. That was his goal when he joined Easts a few years back and he has never been closer than he is currently.

I wouldn't think that the Reds would be too happy if he discharged himself from rugby for the time being. I think they have been pretty happy with Pettowa's commitment, attitude & ability.

He went to PNG last year or the year before for his grand father's funeral and was away for about a month, so it might be something like that.

He would be a big loss as he makes a huge difference to the Easts scrum - I hope he's on deck to take on your scrum this weekend.

Best not to believe ever rumour you hear RH, but if its true I will let you know.

Your old mate Stilesie would know.

Status
Not open for further replies.