• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ANZAC Day anthems - BRU vs CHI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyDR

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm glad to see so many are of a similar opinion re this. The story is also gaining more and more traction in the mainstream media, I don't expect this will move SANZAR into providing an exemption (and maybe it shouldn't) but it will allow those who otherwise wouldn't have been aware of this element to get involved in the unofficial anthems should they be attending the match.

If the anthems go the way of Waltzing Matilda circa 2003, it will in noway overshadow the occasion however it will be a great spectacle if both anthems are belted out.

MickeyDR

Bob McCowan (2)
also, apologies to those running the forums. This discussion is more appropriate for the 'Rugby Discussion' forum page.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I suppose this is going to be the match thread........

Brumbies' jerseys for the ANZAC game:

1398168113358.jpg-620x349.jpg

Anzac_Jersey.png

They're also on sale from the Brumbies' HQ.........

http://www.brumbieshq.com.au/produc...ay_limited_edition_jersey_-_mens.html/ref/361

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And there lies one of my real bugbears, ANZAC day being used as an excuse to sell an extra few rugby jerseys, it is to remember the soldiers etc that have made sacrifices to defend their countries, not so some sports or business can make an extra few dollars. I think profits should go to some appropiate charity, not into Brumbies or Kooga-CCC-Adidas or whoevers bank account!!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
And there lies one of my real bugbears, ANZAC day being used as an excuse to sell an extra few rugby jerseys, it is to remember the soldiers etc that have made sacrifices to defend their countries, not so some sports or business can make an extra few dollars. I think profits should go to some appropiate charity, not into Brumbies or Kooga-CCC-Adidas or whoevers bank account!!
Do you know where the profits are going or are you making an assumption?
Most franchises that make limited edition jerseys tend to do it as a fund raising venture.
I have no idea what the deal is with these ones but if be surprised if it were any different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Exactly Scoey, why I said itshould go to a charity, I don't know if it is or not, but there is certainly nothing in the ad to say which one it is going to!!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We play in an international competition.

Sure, teams represent different parts of their country.

I see nothing wrong with the National Anthems being played at EACH match, even when the match is between 2 teams from the same country.

We are ALL Australians, Kiwis or South African, we are ALL proud of our respective nations and heritage (for those Saffas and Kiwis living here now) so WHY NOT play the Anthems

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
I don't know if I would do it for EACH match, but certainly for events like ANZAC Day and the Finals series maybe; especially the Grand Final.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't see why national anthems are needed. We're remembering our shared history of ANZAC Day so surely the Last Post and Retreat are enough.

We could always just use God Save the King which was the anthem for both countries at the time.

Yeah true. Although we would be the only sporting code who is playing on ANZAC day not to have the Athem(s) being played / sung. Its not like the press and the public are bothered.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah true. Although we would be the only sporting code who is playing on ANZAC day not to have the Athem(s) being played / sung. Its not like the press and the public are bothered.

The two Channel 9 NRL games will only have Australian teams and will presumably have one anthem if any. The Storm vs Warriors game is only on Foxtel and slated for the broadcast to start right around kickoff. If there are anthems at that game I doubt they'll be on TV.

The AFL will have the Australian anthem but their telecast starts hours before the game.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The two Channel 9 NRL games will only have Australian teams and will presumably have one anthem if any. The Storm vs Warriors game is only on Foxtel and slated for the broadcast to start right around kickoff. If there are anthems at that game I doubt they'll be on TV.

The AFL will have the Australian anthem but their telecast starts hours before the game.

Thank you for proving my argument.

Um, I think you are missing the point. If you read the previous posts above you would note this is not about getting on TV, that's a side issue: but rather as something we the people want as part of our game day experience considering its ANZAC day. The last post will be played and the ode read etc, and all of the living VC recipients will be at the game.

We the people think its appropriate and I am unapologetic about being patriotic and respectful to the ANZAC diggers by wanting to sing the anthems, regardless of those who are fixated with game operation manuals and if TV broadcast times suit!

On the TV point, its going to be hard for McArdle and Co to cover it up when they are going to be standing on the filed doing the live pre game!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Chiefs fielding a side with six changes from last week to the starting line up and four changes to the bench.

Forwards: Mahonri Schwalger to hooker, Ross Filipo first start for the year.

Nick Crosswell and Sam Cane as starting flankers Liam Messam moving to No 8 and Augustine Pulu at halfback.

Bench: Tevita Koloamatangi , Brad Weber and Dwayne Sweeney, James Lowe

Dave Rennie said, "It is special to be playing a match against an Australian team on ANZAC Day. It is a hugely important day for our two countries."

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Why?? People don't get sick of them.
It adds fervour
It promotes national pride.

Because its a provincial competition. I think I should be reserved for special occasions. Promote National pride for a Test Match between two nations. Not every 6 games a week in Super Rugby. I'm still all for the national anthems on ANZAC Day and I think its bloody ridiculous SANZAR won't "allow it".

Reactions: mst
T

Tip

I mean seriously, who cares what SANZAR will and won't allow.

NZ & Australia both want the anthems played, that equals 2/3rds of SANZAR.

In all seriousness, what can they do? Fine both teams - that's cutting off your nose to spite your face if I've ever seen it. This would also result in massive Egg on face for Greg Peters, who has been looking rather meek throughout his tenureship

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Word was that if the Brums took the issue to the newspaper, they would deny them Friday night matches and any future ANZAC games. So I'm assuming the Newspaper came to the Brumbies? Hope the Ruckus crew did you guys proud tonight. Sorry for the woeful effort at the NZ anthem. Apparently we decided to skip the english verse of the anthem... the easier part.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Word was that if the Brums took the issue to the newspaper, they would deny them Friday night matches and any future ANZAC games. So I'm assuming the Newspaper came to the Brumbies? Hope the Ruckus crew did you guys proud tonight. Sorry for the woeful effort at the NZ anthem. Apparently we decided to skip the english verse of the anthem. the easier part.
Good job boys and girls. You did well.

Reactions: mst
Status
Not open for further replies.