• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Onto more serious things. RugbyFuture is doing great stuff for the Rams and offering some very good guidance on fan engagement amongst other things.

Personally, I like the idea of a You Tube channel to drive jersey design competitions, club song competitions etc etc.

There is quite simply, no reason why the Rams could not have the biggest supporter base in the NRC.

The west in particular is full of smart, energetic, enthusiastic and importantly young people with fresh bold ideas that old farts like me would never think of. Over to you folks, the world is your oyster.

Absolutely. It's the fact that Rugby is so under served in particular in the West of the City that will draw people to a team that represents them and for those behind the teams. Drive them to engage with them more.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it'd be very important to connect with the subbies and junior clubs in the greater sydney area. They all have facebook pages that can reach a lot of people. Make contact with them, to begin with ask them to post about the Rams to help drive the number of fans on social media and the number of people giving their details through the website etc. Develop the relationships as much as possible so they ultimately help promote the team.

Video is great. Start competitions that require people to make videos or create things with cool prizes on offer.

You could have say a competition to be the Rams Official Number 1 Fan (catchy name required) where people have to send in a short video demonstrating why they deserve the title. Only requirement would be a PG Rating. The winner could get 2 free season tickets/full memberships, a free jersey, and maybe like a special hat with giant horns or something. Plus any other perks that could be arranged through contacts of the club that wouldn't really cost the club much but would be valuable to the winner. You could also have a few prizes for 2nd and 3rd place.

It could be run every year.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Great ideas guys, keep em all coming, taking them into account and will show the rest of the steering committee some ideas soon.

Might be an idea re subbies and juniors omar, but I think we'll try and bring everyone together from our region once we can get something organised enough, and have a big fan forum a lot less stuffy than ones run by other rugby orgs and have some fun while we're at it.

Grickles

Bob McCowan (2)
Israel Folau NEEDS to sign with the Rams, except for a rare occasion he won't be playing anyway and the publicity and growth for rugby he could bring to Western Sydney would be huge.

also, the Rams need to set up a Youtube account and do fun 'behind the scenes' videos. the All Blacks youtube account is famous for this and it brings in great publicity

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
RF, I like your 'shepherds' nickname for the board. Perhaps that should be the unofficial title of the Ram's captain...as he'll be leading the Rams around the field so to speak.

Use social media for more than just information. Use it for banter. Take shots at the other teams, especially the other Sydney teams. Give 'em the horns! You need people to share what you post, not just like it.

That's why I think fan video competitions and the like are good because it gives people a chance to do something funny. You get a couple of really hilarious entries in a competition and the whole thing can go viral.

It wouldn't be a bad thing being thought of as a team that has a sense of humour and good banter.

I've thought for a while that the Waratahs should have a facebook and twitter account for Tah Man that just posted ridiculous one-eyed banter. Maybe the Rams could have a mascot figure like that. Greater Sydney (GS) Rambo.

Grickles

Bob McCowan (2)
the Rams and Stars (hopefully that name is changed by then) should try and talk up their rivalry. make it a big event

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agreed. It shouldn't be too hard to paint the 'Stars' as the silver spoon fed inner west hipsters that they are. They'll almost certainly be a bunch of latte sipping, fixie bike riders with beard transplants. Up against the salt of the earth, all round good guys from the Rams.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the distinction between the 3 teams in Sydney will work pretty well actually. With good pricing (free for kids!) and promotion all teams could get 5000+ to home games.

The only area not properly represented is the East. Perhaps one day the Waratahs will become that team and the NRC will be part of our top domestic tier. You could have an awesome double header in Sydney every year with 4 teams.

I suppose you could already have one including the Country team. If it was really promoted as a big community rugby event and played over a Sunday afternoon I bet it could get a big crowd at the SFS.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

You could have say a competition to be the Rams Official Number 1 Fan (catchy name required) where people have to send in a short video demonstrating why they deserve the title. Only requirement would be a PG Rating. <snip>

That PG rating requirement could rule out one aspirational No1 Fan contender. :)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
That PG rating requirement could rule out one aspirational No1 Fan contender. :)

Maybe it could be pushed up to M ... just nothing too overtly offensive I suppose.

The key with say a PG rating is to be a bit cleverer/more subtle with any vulgarity!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

:D

Fuck oath.

Anyway, the eastern suburbs has enough representation in Australian rugby, does it not? Seriously: fuck those guys.

Subbies email addresses are pretty easy to get hold of from rugby.net.au under the club listing. I've talked to the club captain of my old team and they're a little busy running a season at the moment.

Might get subbies clubs there later in the year as finals aspirations drop away

Grickles

Bob McCowan (2)
I may be biased being a West Harbour fan, but for me Concord Oval seems like the logical home ground for the Rams.
A) It's close to the city but is still in the west
B) it has a 20'000 seat capacity
C) it has history (it was the home ground of both the Waratahs, the Wallabies and was used in the '87 World Cup)
D) it's owned by the ARU

image.jpg

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
sidenote: not owned by the ARU and is part of the properties of city of canada bay now I'm fairly sure.

Rams are considering all options.

My personal opinion - Rams should have the mission to spread the word of rugby to areas which formerly haven't had much representation. Considering the Stars are going to play at Leichardt oval that would represent a very narrow view of what greater, western and Sydney as a whole is, that's not to offend West Harbour and Concord oval and what they are and have done, its just the reality of the situation. Part of the criticism of the GWS Giants is that they didn't readily associate with the west and instead based their players in Rhodes and concord, created the battle of the bridge because Rozelle was now western Sydney at the western bounds of the Anzac bridge and focused their player development efforts majoritively on the inner west region. Its still the west, but the west from a hundred years ago. Not to mention the infrastructure!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sorry Grickles, but if you put it at Concord you might as well shoot the team in the head now. As RF said - its too close to those limp-wristed Stars fairies. Plus its a complete bucket of arse to get to from pretty much anywhere, and particularly in the ACTUAL west of Sydney, not the pretend west.

None of the Premier Rugby sites are modern enough - its pretty much Parramatta Stadium or bust.