• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemishpere Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Cant see Scarlets being caught, Dragons will get around 42 points and Connacht around 40 points.
Scarlets minimum of 55 points and maximum 60 points.
Cant see us getting more than 44 points and even then thats unlikely from us.
A ridiculously optimistic outlook would still be bonus point wins over Cardiff and Zebre, beating Munster after they rest players after a win in HC and a shock win against Glasgow - still only 52 points.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Disappointed but not surprised by Leinster this morning. Heaviest defeat in nearly 5 years in the Heineken Cup by my count. They looked to have regressed this season under MOC, they'll need a big pre season and a smart SH signing or two to get back to challenging for Europe.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Was being ridiculously optimistic as well. The Scarlets are in a reasonably comfortable place. Just about impossible to get into the top 4, but they're comfortably 6th, and don't play any of the top 5.

Doesn't change the fact that both Connacht and the Gunners will be trying to grab every point possible.

Is there still an Amlin cup equivalent next season? It would be good to still see all the pro12 teams in European competition.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There was mention of a Challenge Cup equivalent but no details were released on it. The fact that there's mention of a third tier developmental cup would suggests to me that the Romania, Spanish and other non 6Ns clubs will be excluded and pushed down a level.

Nothing has been released about qualification for either competition but just looking at the maths, there are 38 teams between the 3 leagues, 20 will qualify for the HEC equivalent. That leaves 18 teams. If they want to mirror the top tier competition then they would need 2 more teams.

For Pro12 it would probably be automatic for those who don't qualify for the HEC. For England and France they'd have to decide if it goes on league position for everyone or if they exclude relegated teams and replace them with promoted teams.

I hope there are at least 2 teams from outside the 6Ns countries in it. My understanding is that the English teams didn't like having to play these teams as they were running up cricket scores against them. However the same argument was used to try to exclude Italy from the 6Ns and Treviso and the now defunct Aironi from the Pro12 and HEC.

They may not be title contenders but they've shown they're no longer a guaranteed 5 points and if you take them lightly then you're in for some embarrassing headlines. It won't be too many more years before Treviso are expected to win the majority of their home games and at that point they'll be a decent bet to sneak a knock-out spot.

My biggest worry with the restructure is that development has been completely shunted to the side in favour of money for the big clubs.

I just hope that Sarries don't win the last HEC in its current format as they are the main club behind its demise. Following yesterday's results I'm first hoping for Munster to win the HEC and failing that anyone but Sarries.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Surely this thread needs to be renamed, or a new thread created for 2014.

The current NH club Rugby season started back in September 2013 so it's still the same season this thread was created for.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The current NH club Rugby season started back in September 2013 so it's still the same season this thread was created for.

You totally missed my point.

This needs to be renamed to "2013-2014 season" or "Northern Hemisphere Rugby 2014".

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Great win for Munster, to put nearly 50 points on Toulouse is exceptional by any standard. Everything clicked, line out nearly perfect on our throw and pinched a few of theirs. Scrum was very solid and dealt with Steenkamp boring like a bar fly. Breakdown was exceptional and without POM. And for the first time this year the backs really clicked. Key to it all was Conor Murray who is turning into one of the worlds best scrum halves. I think Toulon are beatable but it will need an exceptional display, hopefully I will be in sunny Marseilles to witness it.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Conor Murray has to be the best scrumhalf in the world currently.
His form has been extraordinary for his province, for the Lions and for Ireland

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Conor Murray has to be the best scrumhalf in the world currently.
His form has been extraordinary for his province, for the Lions and for Ireland
And he is still a relative novice. No one will replace BOD or Paulie but in Murray we have a world class talent in another key position. CJ Stander will be IQed by the next World Cup and, fingers crossed Stephen Ferris seems to be on his way back. Things are not looking bad.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Glasgow beat Munster at Thomond, with a rep team at the Melrose sevens.

They Play Ulster next week at home.

They're 3 points behind Muster and 5 behind Ulster.

They play Ulster at home next week, and have a game in hand.

Let's go WARRIORS!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Glasgow beat Munster at Thomond, with a rep team at the Melrose sevens.

They Play Ulster next week at home.

They're 3 points behind Muster and 5 behind Ulster.

They play Ulster at home next week, and have a game in hand.

Let's go WARRIORS!
Fair play to Glasgow, Munster looked to have a major hangover from the Toulouse game but I thought Glasgow defended like lions and took very clinical advantage of some seriously shoddy defending out of Munster. You could sneak a home semi final although I am not sure you will beat Ulster who are my tip to win the league after their unfortunate Heineken QF experience. They have injury issues but frankly so does everyone.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It'll be a big ask for Munster to win away against Toulon but come Semi-Final time when you can smell them polishing the trophy for the final there's extra motivation for the away team. Add in the fact that the game is at a larger less partizan ground and you always feel you have a much better chance than playing away in the QFs.

I hope for a Munster v Clermont final with Munster champions. Failing that a repeat of last year's final would be my preference. I absolutely don't want Sarries to win. To see the chief architects of it's demise become the last winners would be a very sour note to end what has been a fantastic competition over the year.

Should be two really exciting games at the weekend. As Sunday draws closer the tinge of nerves will spread until I have that cocktail of excitement and nerves that makes you want to explode. As a proud Leinster man I'll be shouting at the TV for Munster as loudly as any fan dressed in red.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
For the sake of everything good in rugby I hope Clermont and Munster bring home the bacon.

Sans POM I'm not sure Munster will be able to do it, I'll have all fingers and toes crossed for them though.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Wayne Barnes is on his way to destroying another game of rugby with the whistle. Every scrum has been a free kick or pen in the first 25 min.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Guttered for Munster, to many penalties in the first half. But I hate when a team wins matches all on kicking. Sir Johnny with 6 pen and 1 drop goal (Arrnitage with 1 pen) has won Toulon the match , with out him next season they will require a new game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.