• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Any potential spectators know enough about rugby to when the Tahs are playing at the SFS, and whom they are playing.

It has taken years to get to the state we are in now, it will take years to turn things around. We have seen a long, slow decline in the popularity of the game in Sydney.

For goodness' sake, Shute Shield Grand Finals used to draw 15k in the early naughties!!!

I went to Randwick V the Rats and Randwick V Woodies (I think it was) in the earlier 90s and they were easily over 20K. They were great games and had atmosphere. Hard to think that they were pretty much amateur (smamateur I know with Campo et al in the Wicks side)

I have thought for year how far we have fallen with so called professionalism.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Saturday afternoon = Subbies for a lot of rugby fans.

Or work these days. Its about society changing, not just the game going professional.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I did not even know that section of the site existed. I go there for News and Squad details.

Still, its funny that they've got it all sorted out but can't pull a crowd.

Maybe Marcus Bennett should get off his arse and go hand out flyers?

......I cant find the part that says "all fans please ring some else about your game day experience!" Is it under "service","engagement" or Shared KPI's"?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Lastly, I find it laughable when they put out stuff like this.

And you go to that part of the website and what dominates the page? Action shots? Folau diving over for a try? Skelton swatting defenders away? Hooper charging downfield? Douglas soaring in the lineout?

No, those f*****g mugshots with the Easter Island expressions!:mad:

Are these guys trying to make it look like a good afternoon/evening out or not?

Honestly, it just makes you want to cry.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
^ QH, I understand your point. It seems to be the standard nowadays for many teams to have these "don't mess with me" type pics.

Your comments about the action shots got me to think about the big screen above the Members entrance at the SFS, I can't remember if they use that to show any video. If not, then it should be used to show highlights, such as you mentioned, to get the crowd in the mood for the game. I will have to pay more attention to how it's used next home game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why shouldn't the website have an embedded video window which starts playing (like all the media sites these days: SMH) highlights - so people can't ignore it.
The macho thing is trying to meet league on its terms.
We should be promoting the skill, guile and subtlety with which loig cannot compete.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The macho thing is trying to meet league on its terms.
We should be promoting the skill, guile and subtlety with which loig cannot compete.

We should do the macho thing WITH the skill and subtlety. Because the later doesn't video well (due to it's subtlety)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He lives!!

But, reading behind the lines, what has happened is that he has had two whinges at the SCG Trust and they have told him to fuck off, either politely or otherwise. So now he wants the Waratah supporters to do his job for him, by adding a cacophony of fan complaints to try and do what he could not do.

Has he been to see the Minister responsible for the Trust to complain about their lack of action? Used the Liberal oldboys network to stir up a storm? Threatened to send various Ministers a bottle of Grange if they don't put a bomb under the Trust? Threatened to take all the rest of the games to Parramatta this year if there is no tangible improvement in the Trust's performance?

It is not the fans job to fix the problem. Its the job of the Tahs CEO.

Did anyone else get the SCG trust questionnaire in follow up?

It was quite fun to complete

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Lastly, I find it laughable when they put out stuff like this.

And you go to that part of the website and what dominates the page? Action shots? Folau diving over for a try? Skelton swatting defenders away? Hooper charging downfield? Douglas soaring in the lineout?

No, those f*****g mugshots with the Easter Island expressions!:mad:

Are these guys trying to make it look like a good afternoon/evening out or not?

Honestly, it just makes you want to cry.

You have to think, particularly with the kiddies, that a photo of Izzy grinning broadly as he dives over for a try is more appealing than a moodily backlit photo of Izzy, with artificial dirt artfully applied, staring unfocused and sternly into the middle distance, as if he is trying to hold back incipient diarrhoea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The CEO is carrying on like a muppet.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...-allianz-stadium/story-e6frf4pu-1226893813763

Using the word "demand" makes him and the organisation seem petulant.
Yes, there are issues with the SFS, but to air it all out in public is not a good look.

As Tahs HQ is based in the SCGT precinct, he should be well aware there are plans to rejuvenate the SCG/SFS precinct. If he doesn't, then what's he doing at Moore Park? Furthermore, he of all people should know that it won't be cheap and is not a quick fix. Dealing with the SCGT behind closed doors rather than talking about it in the media is probably a better strategy.

The SCGT is in the box seat as moving all Tahs games out to Homebush is not palatable. I reckon they should call his bluff and then see what happens.

If fans had an issue with the facilities, Tahs HQ should have acknowledged their concerns and requested they also contact the SCGT regarding their experience. I didn't think there was any need to send out the email earlier this week, especially since we rarely hear from him otherwise.

It feels like he wants to be seen to be doing something (contract renewal time?). He would be better off directing his energies to sorting out what's going on in the Tahs back office instead.

This imbrolgio should be another nail in the coffin for his tenure as CEO.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This smells like a negotiating tactic.
Both grounds are terrible.
It was not SCGT that decided to stage these games at a time destined to conflict with games at the SCG - that may not be the TAHS decision either but how can you blame the SCGT.
Except maybe for 1 issue: a mate's daughter works for the caterers and she was able to jag a massively long shift by working the baseball and then going over to the tahs - apparently thats why the service may been even worse than usual

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
A simple solution, to the SFS beer related problems, would be the sellers that have the mobile beer dispensing backpacks that are in every NH rugby ground, takes less than 30 seconds to get a beer even at a Heineken Cup final. No doubt some ridiculous RSA related legislation restricts this.

An even better solution would be multiple beer vending machines like those in some grounds in the States. All required is one employee to check ID, again far too sensible a solution I think.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

I think its the juxtaposition of "expect" and "demand" that looks truly stupid.

Anyway, I finally finished that survey and mentioned the ground was dated, and while the Trust is not responsible for boosting attendance figures, if we freshened the joint up a bit, we'd be able to brag about our stadium like fans of Suncorp and AAMI Park do about theirs.

It was a bicentenary project FFS! 26 years old now, and the Tahs have been resident there longer than anyone except the Roosters.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that Jason Allen has made one of his rare public forays over a matter such as this - i.e. something over which he has no control. The SCGT may not be the world's best landlord, but IMO Mr Allen should be looking in his own backyard if he is after things that need fixing. You know, thing over which he has some control and for which he is responsible. I hardly know where to start - the dire marketing of the Waratahs would be one.

Reactions: BPC

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A simple solution, to the SFS beer related problems, would be the sellers that have the mobile beer dispensing backpacks that are in every NH rugby ground, takes less than 30 seconds to get a beer even at a Heineken Cup final. No doubt some ridiculous RSA related legislation restricts this.

An even better solution would be multiple beer vending machines like those in some grounds in the States. All required is one employee to check ID, again far too sensible a solution I think.

yeah - even US beer tastes better than the swill they serve at both grounds

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The CEO is carrying on like a muppet.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...-allianz-stadium/story-e6frf4pu-1226893813763

Yes, there are issues with the SFS, but to air it all out in public is not a good look.
Did he use the word demand though - I cant see it in the article. In any event the points noted are the same things that are regularly raised on this site to explain why the tahs crowds are poor. Poor parking and transport to the ground, poor beer and food service. Why shouldnt the tahs pressure to get better service/arrangements? Its a tough crowd here.

I personally dont find the SFS facilities that bad but I dont drink at games much any more and have come to accept the transport after 17 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.