• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Chambers is really only a decent first grade rugby league player as well. His success in each sport was probably similar.

T

TOCC

Chambers is a pretty good centre, he is only an injury or two away from been called into the QLD state of origin side. He was named as 19th man for two of the origin games last year. You're doing ok if Inglis and Hodges are the two players ahead of you keeping you out of the team.

As for his Union stint, he was due to be called into the Wallabies after his first season in 2010 if it weren't for his shoulder injury.. He only played 6 games in 2011 but that was in a team who won the premiership on the back of some incredible backline form.. He was hardly a flop :/

T

Train Without a Station

If Chambers stayed around I would have backed him to get quite a few games as the Wallaby 13.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Agreed - Chambers was OK.

Milton Thaiday was a tough little rooster who played some league I seem to recall. Nothing flash but willing to do the hard yards. Will never forget that game Scotland played against the Tahs - the Scots blindside thought he'd run over the little Tahs' fullback. Milton absolutely fucking dumped the bloke. Stopped him dead. Even my AFL-loving brother was impressed.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If you are talking about cross coders ripping in against the Lions,what about Duncan Macrae?
He seemed to achieve more in rugby tban Loig as well.

T

Train Without a Station

Did thaiday play for the tahs before or after he played for the knights?

T

TOCC

NRL today made a massive change to the salary cap in regards to union poaching, all clubs have agreed to the amendment, that when a players signing is in the greater interest of the game the NRL top brass can approve a top-up outside of the salary cap....

Essentially the NRL will be providing central contracts for the top players in the game...

Maybe they've opened a can of worms like rugby union, where those players outside of the central contracts feel aggrieved, or maybe they've just ensured that the days of losing players like Karmichael, Burgess, Folau, SBW etc are over.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Typical for the League boys - money fixes everything. But then i wish we had some spare cash to throw around

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My neighbour (who played for Ipswich Brothers back in the days when they were very powerful, think Dud Beattie, Noel Kelly, Gary Parcell) tells me that Konrad Hurrell was knocked back by one of the NZ Soup franchises.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Before he went to the NRL? Yes, he originally came to NZ from Tonga to play rugby. The Chiefs are now after him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My neighbour (who played for Ipswich Brothers back in the days when they were very powerful, think Dud Beattie, Noel Kelly, Gary Parcell) tells me that Konrad Hurrell was knocked back by one of the NZ Soup franchises.

Maybe he should have asked for a super rugby contract whilst driving his car. He doesn't seem to get knocked back there. :eek:

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Before he went to the NRL? Yes, he originally came to NZ from Tonga to play rugby. The Chiefs are now after him.

Still? It seems most teams wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

If I was running a football department I'd swoop, he's a good player and it's a buyers market. At the end of the day my mates have sent me worse snap chats, it'd be a different story if he got caught again though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He'd be scary next to SBW. He's such a powerful runner, very poor defender. Built like a fucking tank and has speed too.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Not a Leaguie but I don't want to start a thread specifically for this.

Watching the International Volleyball championship on Fox. Australia playing Italy. We have a player Thomas Edgar who is 6ft 11 and 112kg. Quite aggressive (for volleyball) Great jumper, excellent hands, I imagine he'd make a very good line out jumper.

EDIT: appears he isn't that interested in playing other sports, but still worth asking him.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/edgar-stands-tall-for-australia-20130905-2t8a4.html

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Thinking of Willie Mason?
Nah, I think Willie was actually running around for Toulon at the time Moses posted that.

Daniel Tupou (from the Roosters as opposed to Tongan Thor) looks like he'd be a nice buy. Contracted until end of next season but might be interested after that.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Hunt is a done deal apparently: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...witch/story-e6frg7o6-1226999388681#mm-premium

THE Queensland Reds have forked out between $600,000 and $700,000 from their own Super Rugby salary cap to sign code-hopper Karmichael Hunt after the ARU declined to provide him with a top-up.
While there has been no official announcement that the Reds have signed Hunt, it is an open secret that it’s a done deal.
With the ARU deciding against topping up Hunt’s contract, the Reds had to compete against NRL teams Brisbane, Canterbury and Gold Coast, who are believed to have offered him between $600,000 and $700,000.
The Reds are relying heavily on the recruitment of Hunt and former Wallabies utility back James O’Connor, which is also yet to be officially confirmed, to revive their fortunes.
Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie was unaware of the Reds’ contract negotiations with Hunt, but he confirmed the ARU was not involved in the deal.
“I’m not sure where it is up to. As far as I’m aware it hasn’t involved the ARU. If they have done anything, they have done it themselves,” McKenzie said.
Hunt, who played Australian Schoolboys rugby union, was the first Australian athlete to play at the elite level in three codes of football, playing rugby league for the Brisbane Broncos, rugby union for French club Biarritz and AFL for Gold Coast.
McKenzie said Hunt’s background in rugby union would help him to make a successful transition but it would be more difficult at his age (27).
“He has obviously played multiple sports and been successful, which suggests he is a good sportsperson,” said McKenzie, who has coached code-hoppers such as Mat Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, Wendell Sailor, Mark Gasnier and now Israel Folau.
“From memory he has played rugby at schoolboy level and has also played it in Top 14 (France). He has played it a couple of times in his career.
“It’s not like he hasn’t got any instincts for the game. I think Biarritz did pretty well in the time he was there. He’s got instincts that suggest he could make the transition, albeit he is an older guy.
“Most of the issues come from whether there is any understanding of how the game functions and the later you leave that as a player and try to develop those instincts the harder it is.
“Izzy (Folau) is a young guy. He has made the transition. Where his mind is and his patterns of play aren’t ingrained because he hasn’t been doing it for so long. He is more malleable and willing to learn and be re-coached and redefined. The fact that Hunt has got some background may make that transition easier.
“I’ve been involved with all of them so they have all made different transitions. Gasnier made a good transition at the same age. Benji Marshall didn’t go so well. It depends on the individual and how they think and how coachable they are.”
Meanwhile, McKenzie seemed confident Wallabies and Waratahs back Kurtley Beale would re-sign with the ARU and NSW for the World Cup year.
“I’m not close to the day-to -day of all that, but I think he is enjoying his rugby,” McKenzie said. “I don’t see any reason why he is looking to go anywhere else. There is a negotiation going on. You hear lots of things.”