• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sheer madness from Uni. When the score is 10-14 and three points is on offer then TAKE IT.
I'm not surprised by your suggestion that Uni should have opted for a penalty goal attempt, paul, as many people subscribe to the mantra, "Take the points"; but to describe the alternative approach as "sheer madness" is interesting.

This was a very hard fought game where points were very hard to come by. Given that the margin at the time was 4 points a successful goal attempt would have still left Manly 1 point in front and would have used up 40-50 seconds of precious game time. Uni would still have had to score again to win, presumably with another penalty goal on your reasoning. But it is of course equally probable that the next score would have been at the other end, taking the margin back to 4 points with probably at least a minute being used up in taking the attempt.

Had Uni been able to score a converted try the margin in their favour would have been three points, putting pressure on Manly to score a try unless they were content to aim for a draw. Even if the try were unconverted, Uni would have led by a point putting the pressure on Manly to score.

Uni players in all grades have a fairly well-founded belief that they can close out games in the final quarter. Partly this is due to the Club's emphasis on physical conditioning, but also to the fact that the Club's philosophy is not to panic under pressure but to stick to the playing style and game plan. This belief is probably what got them home in the remarkably tense First Grade semi last year against Manly.

This very competent and experienced Manly team was always going to be a huge challenge for a very young side which is still coming together. They have a further 14 matches to mould into a cohesive unit before the finals. They made many mistakes yesterday but I didn't see captaincy as a particular problem.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm not surprised by your suggestion that Uni should have opted for a penalty goal attempt, paul, as many people subscribe to the mantra, "Take the points"; but to describe the alternative approach as "sheer madness" is interesting.

This was a very hard fought game where points were very hard to come by. Given that the margin at the time was 4 points a successful goal attempt would have still left Manly 1 point in front and would have used up 40-50 seconds of precious game time. Uni would still have had to score again to win, presumably with another penalty goal on your reasoning. But it is of course equally probable that the next score would have been at the other end, taking the margin back to 4 points with probably at least a minute being used up in taking the attempt.

Had Uni been able to score a converted try the margin in their favour would have been three points, putting pressure on Manly to score a try unless they were content to aim for a draw. Even if the try were unconverted, Uni would have led by a point putting the pressure on Manly to score.

Uni players in all grades have a fairly well-founded belief that they can close out games in the final quarter. Partly this is due to the Club's emphasis on physical conditioning, but also to the fact that the Club's philosophy is not to panic under pressure but to stick to the playing style and game plan. This belief is probably what got them home in the remarkably tense First Grade semi last year against Manly.

This very competent and experienced Manly team was always going to be a huge challenge for a very young side which is still coming together. They have a further 14 matches to mould into a cohesive unit before the finals. They made many mistakes yesterday but I didn't see captaincy as a particular problem.

To keep uni scoreless in the second half doesn't happen to often.
Both sides conditioning was on par which was good to see, i know Manly had a huge off season.
I can see areas that Manly will no doubt look to improve on, and it was a good stepping stone - 14 more steps as you say Bruce, pick up learn, and keep moving forward.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
The first time they knocked back the three points there was still ten minutes to go. In a low scoring game like that it was imo madness not to take the points on offer. Uni were getting plenty of territory and possession the chance of getting further penalties was high. Having said that I think the better team won on the day.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The first time they knocked back the three points there was still ten minutes to go. In a low scoring game like that it was imo madness not to take the points on offer. Uni were getting plenty of territory and possession the chance of getting further penalties was high. Having said that I think the better team won on the day.
It was a battle, it was hard to call a better team, much like the last game the 2 teams played. Manly should feel good, because they played well and there are rough area that can be improved.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Easily the best game of the year so far. A lot of praise for the Manly team but with a team full of no names teams should be very wary of this Uni outfit. They look very fit and play an excellent brand of football. Manly were the better team this afternoon grinding out the win, great coverage aswell.

Was down the coast with the family ,at a holiday park near Gerringong last weekend. I asked to be excused from afternoon drinks with our our newly made friends , as I wanted to watch the SS game.

I was impressed when two other people were also interested in watching the game. (Southern District supporters )

Ended up with 2 Southern supporters , a Two Blues supporter and a couple of guys freshly exposed to SS. Kicking back having a beer and watching a fantastic good game of rugby on TV.

Club rugby supporters a bloody good bunch

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Was down the coast with the family ,at a holiday park near Gerringong last weekend. I asked to be excused from afternoon drinks with our our newly made friends , as I wanted to watch the SS game.

I was impressed when two other people were also interested in watching the game. (Southern District supporters )

Ended up with 2 Southern supporters , a Two Blues supporter and a couple of guys freshly exposed to SS. Kicking back having a beer and watching a fantastic good game of rugby on TV.

Club rugby supporters a bloody good bunch

Wazza your post indirectly articulates the challenges facing the ARU in seeking traction for the national clubs comp at the back end of the SS . Although the SS's demise or lack of relevance has oft been predicted something tells me it will be around and thriving as the prestige club rugby/grass roots level trophy developing elite players long after the latest experiment which I believe will struggle to engage the same cohort of supporters. Whether that is a problem for our game at higher (professional) levels is no doubt a matter for debate on another thread.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
It will be interesting to see how long Maile Hingano stays in 2's and there must be a lot of pressure coming through from 3's on backline selections too Hooper, Yarrington etc

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It will be interesting to see how long Maile Hingano stays in 2's and there must be a lot of pressure coming through from 3's on backline selections too Hooper, Yarrington etc

Yes great to see that pressure being pushed right through.
Needing a passport at the moment 4 away games out of 5.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any reports/scores from today's games?

Hugh's Bold Predictions for Round 5
Gordon v Parramatta - Played today. 2 Blues to be made to work hard but to win by 6-10. Plenty of tries.
Northern Suburbs v Eastern Suburbs - Played today. Norths to win by 10-16 in a canter with a Bonus Point.
West Harbour v Manly - MMM to win by 15-20. Treweek to cop some verbals from the Pirates faithful.
Warringah v Sydney University - The Corporation to sneak home by <5 after trailing all game.
Penrith v Southern Districts - Emus to trouble Hobbits early but will run out of puff. Hobbits by 15.
Eastwood v Randwick - Woodies by 20+, too disciplined, too structured, too experienced & at home.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Any reports/scores from today's games?

Hugh's Bold Predictions for Round 5
Gordon v Parramatta - Played today. 2 Blues to be made to work hard but to win by 6-10. Plenty of tries.
Northern Suburbs v Eastern Suburbs - Played today. Norths to win by 10-16 in a canter with a Bonus Point.
West Harbour v Manly - MMM to win by 15-20. Treweek to cop some verbals from the Pirates faithful.
Warringah v Sydney University - The Corporation to sneak home by <5 after trailing all game.
Penrith v Southern Districts - Emus to trouble Hobbits early but will run out of puff. Hobbits by 15.
Eastwood v Randwick - Woodies by 20+, too disciplined, too structured, too experienced & at home.
Easts 24 - 14and Parra 27 - 15got up

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks @DaveBeat. Looks like a typical start to the weekends tips for me then. So much for a Shoremen's canter.:)

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Interesting tidbits from the Parra club today. Andrew Cox became only the second player in 135 years to captain 100 first grade games, Tom Woods played his hundredth first grade game and Peter Brush and Aaron Blacklock made their first grade debuts. Brush, Blacklock and his older brother and loosehead prop Nick, were all Benildus House Captains over 3 consecutive years and Oakhill College First XV players.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn1/t1.0-9/s526x395/1926945_10152776873850299_2065778444330482914_n.jpg
Aaron Blacklock, Peter Brush, Nick Blacklock

Status
Not open for further replies.