• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jones and Higgers will 100% play for the Wallabies this year at some stage if they remain injury free.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
There's a whole series to be played and the Rugby Championship will follow soon after. I reckon all three young locks will get a run against the French, if only to blood them and see who responds well in the test area.

Higgers has been almost completely undeserving of a Wallaby jersey in recent weeks. To leave out Fardy, Palu or McCalman for Higgers would have been an outrageous selection.

Yeah, I get all that and I agree. It's just a bit depressing to have the Rebels as the only unrepresented team after a pretty depressing few weeks.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah, I get all that and I agree. It's just a bit depressing to have the Rebels as the only unrepresented team after a pretty depressing few weeks.

We have plenty of players worth a crack at the Spring Tour but not too many that scream "I am ready to start a home test series tomorrow". Only really Jones, Higgers, and maybe Burgess (injured) you could trust 100% in a 23 man squad with little-to-no prep.

On spring tour I could see Macmahon, Colby, Iman, or English being taken along if they bring a big squad but I wouldn't bank on any caps.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
For what its worth a few observations on this year.
Sad to see some of the really good off field staff leave over the last few months. Sam Cordingley to the Reds, Christine Finnegan the GM Commercial to St Kilda,Matt Tink who has done a fantastic job with junior development to Japan. Hard to replace people of this calibre.
On field huge improvements in what we werent good at , scrums, breakdowns , goal line defence. However clearly gone backwards in what was the strength, attacking intent and ability. Shame that a combination of Tony and Hill couldnt have worked.
Crowds and memberships very disapointing . Despite the noises from the club, both down considerably , especially the high value memberships. Game night atmosphere nowhere near first couple of years.
Real crossroad for the club now with a lot of negative momentum on and off the field.
They really need to put a lot of effort into a succesful NRC to create some positive momentum going into the off season for players and fans alike. Sure
this is a very high priority for club management , at least hope it is.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Crowds and memberships very disapointing . Despite the noises from the club, both down considerably , especially the high value memberships. Game night atmosphere nowhere near first couple of years.

Does this mean we get to roll out the old Chestnut of "Only Friday nights?"
i don't want to get into it in the 2015 thread as it has been done... But?
i would love at least one game at a different time. Are we relying on NRC for variety?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Does this mean we get to roll out the old Chestnut of "Only Friday nights?"
i don't want to get into it in the 2015 thread as it has been done. But?
i would love at least one game at a different time. Are we relying on NRC for variety?

A couple of Saturdays would be nice, would love to go watch rugby live after a game on a Saturday afternoon for once instead of sitting in the pub watching the interstate games.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Depending on results over the next few rounds, the round 19 game between the Lions and the Cheetahs will be VERY interesting. This game guarantees one of these teams 4 points. Our 3 remaining games i am hopeful of a bonus point or two but not a win.

Ladder as it currently stands:
13th Lions 22 points
14th Rebels (The Good Guys) 21 points
15th Cheetahs 20 points.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Tex I know you have posted this elsewhere but I thought Rebels fans that might not follow other posts might like this news. Danny Cipriani has been named on the bench for tomorrow's match v All Blacks.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Ya I am a bit over all Friday night games. This was the first year I missed more than one game and I only made it to three.
I don't mind the losses providing we have a crack and attack.
I think we were more competitive this year but by and large the attacking flair left. Melbourne and Sydney are insanely competitive sports environments. No cities globally would have as much competition as these cities. You can't play rugby without a bit of flair - Just ask Sydney - and draw the crowds.
There are 10 afl teams in Melb area. Rugby league union and two soccer teams plus basketball the tennis and F1. People have ample choice for how they spend the money and we have to make sure we give them a reason to spend it at the rebels. We had it last year but with horrible defence. I agree with others tony has improved our d and our set pieces immensely but perhaps over focused and drilled that. When you are flogged at training I find it's usually typical of a more defensive oriented training. Perhaps the focus on that meant we didn't focus too much on attack. I would have loved hill to get supported by tony in a Fischer/larkham scenario. Tough year but I am positive on the future (provided aru gets a tv $ increase)
I also firmly believe that the force game was a turning point for both teams. Tonys decision there was moronic
8 home games. Have 3 on Saturday at least.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Correct decision.

with Palu injured, Higgers was always in.

Ryan was shithouse, and has been shithouse, shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Jones deservedly ahead of Skelton.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't quite understand this parochialism relating to Wallabies selection. As a Reds fan, I fucking hope that no hookers, or halfbacks get injured so that my team's selection who is 3rd or 4th string gets a run. I'd rather the Wallabies win!

Obviously this does not only apply to Rebels fans, Oztimmay's post was just the last one I happened to see.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I don't quite understand this parochialism relating to Wallabies selection. As a Reds fan, I fucking hope that no hookers, or halfbacks get injured so that my team's selection who is 3rd or 4th string gets a run. I'd rather the Wallabies win!

Obviously this does not only apply to Rebels fans, Oztimmay's post was just the last one I happened to see.

The post was more from my one-eyed Rebels perspective, not my Wallabies perspective. Of course I want the best to be in the team as like every other Wallaby fan on GAGR I want to win too. I think that would be a similar sentiment to others who have posted like this before. The fan I work with is a little nervous that Hoops got the (c) next to him name on the team sheet because he fears the captains curse; that's not to say he is happy for him to get the Captaincy.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well the rebels indigenous jersey to be used in the last home has taken unassailable lead as the ugliest jersey ever made. Might almost be worth buying just to remember how terrible it was in a few years. Love the concept, the execution is lacking...

5yY1kOj.jpg

http://www.melbournerebelsstore.com.au/product-p/mrjr312nvy.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.