• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France - June 14 Etihad Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
I think that game showed the weakness in Hooper game at 7. Foley was nearly invisible but realistically we don't have anyone else to make an impact there atm.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Positives - scrums, most attacking lineouts (defensive ones a bit dusty with those penalties, but Kev a good steal), overall defence
Negatives - overly conservative plan too much of the time, I mean exiting your half is fine, but we had front foot turnover ball a few times we could have done more with; kicking from hand often poorly directed by everyone; isolated runners getting turned by the French (who targeted this area clearly, and did it well).

Oh yeah, we won. That's a positive.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
seriously?
Yep. The vast majority of the crowd was watching paper planes being thrown onto the ground in the last 20. Exactly the sort of game that had the Deans haters frothing. Maybe it was better on tv, but it was almost unwatchable at the ground.

T

TOCC

Interesting listening to some of the 'coach comms', comments like having a message passed onto Horwill that 2 penalties in 17minute is unacceptable and also telling the front row that they have packed too high for the last two scrums and make sure they pack lower.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Planetrugby is slating the game, but they always do that when it's a tight Australian game. When it's a South African low scoring game it's a "thrilling arm wrestle", when it's an Australian low-scoring game it's inevitably "dire".

Sure there weren't any tries and there was a fair bit of fruitless kicking, but the competition at the breakdown was ferocious and the defense committed.

T

TOCC

Planetrugby is slating the game, but they always do that when it's a tight Australian game. When it's a South African low scoring game it's a "thrilling arm wrestle", when it's an Australian low-scoring game it's inevitably "dire".

Sure there weren't any tries and there was a fair bit of fruitless kicking, but the competition at the breakdown was ferocious and the defense committed.

ah screw em, i've watched some dire matches over the years but i don't actually consider that one of them, yes some of the precision was off but there wasn't an exorbitant amount of dropped balls or errors, it was just solid defence coupled with an unwillingness to attack.

Ive watched some games of 'attacking rugby' which were absolute dire because the flinging of the ball around was nothing more then glorified touch rugby. This game will assist the Wallabies significantly more leading into the Rugby Championship then last weeks game did. I thought it was a tight and competitive game, thats the type of rugby i find enjoying.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That was a dog of a game. Loved it! A true test match and one for the purists. If you were a casual fan heading to the game to see something like last week I would be surprised if you didn't leave at half time but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dasduke

Frank Nicholson (4)
I like that Link mixes up the strategies each game, and the team need to know how to execute a diverse range of game plans, but I don't know if this was the right one.

Kicking out of your own half is fine, if you can win the field position game. We have good kickers at 10 and 12, but the back three don't play that game. If you have someone like Latho or Leigh Halfpenny at fullback, go for it, but Folau and friends weren't kicking us into field position.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll add something else that's probably been covered already but that game was a perfect example of why in test matches your kicker is the second bloke you pick after your captain.
Did anyone else notice the confused looks on the players faces when our 'kicker' Foley was replaced by Beale and we are awarded a penalty just to the left about 20 out? No one wanted to take the shot so we went for the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BPC
Status
Not open for further replies.