• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can someone tell me the law that says if a conversion is touched it does not count if it goes over he cross bar?

This isn't the AFL.

If the ball travels through the gap represented above the crossbar and between the uprights, regardless of what it hits, it counts.

At the ref's course I did, they even showed a game in Ireland when the ball went through and then got blown back due to a stiff breeze (gale) blowing in off the Atlantic. It is a goal even in that case, just like a ball that crosses the plane of touch then blows back infield is still in play.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This isn't the AFL.

If the ball travels through the gap represented above the crossbar and between the uprights, regardless of what it hits, it counts.

At the ref's course I did, they even showed a game in Ireland when the ball went through and then got blown back due to a stiff breeze (gale) blowing in off the Atlantic. It is a goal even in that case, just like a ball that crosses the plane of touch then blows back infield is still in play.

That one is specifically addressed in the laws.
I saw a conversion disallowed today.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can someone tell me the law that says if a conversion is touched it does not count if it goes over he cross bar?

Don't carry a lawbook with you at all times IS? :D

Law 9 is the one with regard to scoring goals. It says if a team mate of the kicker touches the ball, the kick is disallowed. If the opponents touch the ball, that should have no bearing on the kick success.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We had a referee on the weekend who gave out penalties for every lifting tackle that was performed in the U11's. I did not see one case where the body went beyond the horizontal, it was just that the front on tackler got low enough to drive the other kid backward (obviously off his feet). He penalised probably 5 times and each time said "sorry, I do not have a choice, that is an illegal tackle as he was off his feet" WTF?

The ball carriers' feet may leave the ground in a tackle without any lifting having occurred, there are other factors such as momentum and the ball carriers' actions which may cause such a situation to occur.

Hence, not every tackle is a lifting tackle. It's obvious when a tackler is pushing someone to ground (the definition of a fair tackle) and when they are lifting someone off the ground.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That one is specifically addressed in the laws.
I saw a conversion disallowed today.

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=9&language=EN

9.B CONVERSION KICK
9.B.1 Taking a conversion kick
(a)
The kicker must use the ball that was in play unless it is defective.

(b)
The kick is taken on a line through the place where the try was scored in the field of play.

(c)
A team mate may hold the ball for the kicker to kick.

(d)
The kicker may place the ball directly on the ground or on sand, sawdust or a kicking tee approved by the Union. No other form of assistance may be used.

(e)
The kicker must take the kick within one minute and thirty seconds (ninety seconds) from the time a try has been awarded. The player must take the kick within one minute and thirty seconds even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again.

Sanction: The kick is disallowed if the kicker does not take the kick within the time allowed.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Don't carry a lawbook with you at all times IS? :D

Law 9 is the one with regard to scoring goals. It says if a team mate of the kicker touches the ball, the kick is disallowed. If the opponents touch the ball, that should have no bearing on the kick success.

I do - by way of the IRBs App, which is not always the best way to search for something on your iPhone: and I doubt the ref would have blown time off so the two of us could consult my iPhone!
My immediate reaction was ref was wrong - checked the laws you and Pfitzy cite and because they say nothing about it - threw it to the forum.
Which, so far, has confirmed my instinctive reaction.
However, I thought that a field goal could not be scored if the ball was touched in flight and I cannot see that.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thoughts on the Brown try in AB v Poms? I've watched a coupla replays & still can't see a grounding. Ayoub seems to have said that 'cos Brown's arm was under the ball that's good enough. Is he right?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thoughts on the Brown try in AB v Poms? I've watched a coupla replays & still can't see a grounding. Ayoub seems to have said that 'cos Brown's arm was under the ball that's good enough. Is he right?

The ref asked if there was no reason not to award the try. When he watched the replay he seemed to have forgotten what question he asked as he looked to be about to say that the hand under the ball created doubt about the grounding.

By the sudden change in his tone it would seem that the TMO reminded him of the question he asked and the ref had no option but to award a try. If he asked try yes or no, unless there were other camera angles, it would have been no try.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Peyper asked Ayoub was there any reason NOT to award the try. There was: the ball wasn't grounded. Another shocker between Refs and TMOs this year. This debate/I'm going to convince the other to change his mind approach which has crept in this year really has to be sorted out.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
If you notice, many times a try is scored when the ball is tucked under the player's arm and not grounded, yet awarded.

dabiged

Stan Wickham (3)
Can someone help me out with regard to a call in the USA vs Japan match. around the 55th minute there is a messy ruck. A US player comes into the ruck through the gate and accidentally knocks the ball with his feet into a player on the ground in the ruck. The ref has called accidental offside and given a scrum to Japan.

My question is what separates rucking the ball at the back of the ruck with a boot and kicking the ball into the back of the ruck causing an accidental offside? We had a ref in a local game a few years back that gave accidental offside calls about 7 times in a game each time the 9 moved the ball with his feet at the back of the ruck for the same reason as stated above.

Thanks!

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
A referee resets a scrum in a different spot because the playing surface is unacceptable where it has just collapsed.
If a penalty is awarded at the ensuing scrum reset, at what location does the penalty get taken?
This can be critical as sometimes refs reset scrums 10m away from the original scrum spot, either infield or towards the sideline.
In theory there could be a 20m variance on where a penalty shot at goal could be attempted from in this situation.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can someone help me out with regard to a call in the USA vs Japan match. around the 55th minute there is a messy ruck. A US player comes into the ruck through the gate and accidentally knocks the ball with his feet into a player on the ground in the ruck. The ref has called accidental offside and given a scrum to Japan.

My question is what separates rucking the ball at the back of the ruck with a boot and kicking the ball into the back of the ruck causing an accidental offside? We had a ref in a local game a few years back that gave accidental offside calls about 7 times in a game each time the 9 moved the ball with his feet at the back of the ruck for the same reason as stated above.

Thanks!

It's only a problem if the ball left the ruck. If it never left the ruck then it can't be offside.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
A referee resets a scrum in a different spot because the playing surface is unacceptable where it has just collapsed.
If a penalty is awarded at the ensuing scrum reset, at what location does the penalty get taken?
This can be critical as sometimes refs reset scrums 10m away from the original scrum spot, either infield or towards the sideline.
In theory there could be a 20m variance on where a penalty shot at goal could be attempted from in this situation.

The answer may lie in "where did the offence occur?".

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Has anyone seen the Jebb Sinclair Red Card in the Canada v Scotland match?

Sets a very dangerous precedent. Forget the referee's name, but he's a kiwi super rugby referee.

Red card to Red #6 for "leading with the elbow".

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's Mike Fraser I think.

On first viewing I thought the red card was ludicrous but on subsequent replays he does swing his arm up into the Scottish player's head. Probably still a bit unlucky but it certainly isn't something that should be legal.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk