• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
ARU release makes it sounds like there is something more to the story: “Due to his unique and extreme personal circumstances, we have reluctantly made a decision to grant Nick an early release from his current contract based on compassionate grounds.

Also quotes head of Rugby WA saying he hoped to see the Badge back at the Force next season under the conditions of his release

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...Y-RELEASE-FROM-AUSTRALIAN-RUGBY-CONTRACT.aspx

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting to read your comments Braveheart. I certainly don't propose to know the answers but I am also one of the people that believe the ARU needs to move with the time and come up with some mechanism for enticing players to stay other than just "you will be eligible for the wallabies".

I find it funny that the ARU has released Cummins due to his "unique and extreme family circumstances" (whatever that means - can anyone elaborate?). Then on the next line CEO Rugby WA Mark Sinderberry says that he hopes this will allow Cummins to return to play for the Force next year..? This sounds to me very much like a Sabbatical or something similar. I just don't understand the ARU refusing sabbaticals but then reading these comments.

Hell, didn't JOC (James O'Connor) essentially take a sabbatical? (the only real difference being that he lost his ARU top up)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting to read your comments Braveheart. I certainly don't propose to know the answers but I am also one of the people that believe the ARU needs to move with the time and come up with some mechanism for enticing players to stay other than just "you will be eligible for the wallabies".

I find it funny that the ARU has released Cummins due to his "unique and extreme family circumstances" (whatever that means - can anyone elaborate?). Then on the next line CEO Rugby WA Mark Sinderberry says that he hopes this will allow Cummins to return to play for the Force next year..? This sounds to me very much like a Sabbatical or something similar. I just don't understand the ARU refusing sabbaticals but then reading these comments.

Hell, didn't JOC (James O'Connor) essentially take a sabbatical? (the only real difference being that he lost his ARU top up)

It would seem to be a kind of sabbatical granted under special circumstances. I.e. they'll let him go from his ARU contract early in order to earn more money in Japan.

How else do you entice players to stay aside from offering them more money?

Japan is essentially the only overseas location a player can go without cutting into the majority of the Australian rugby season.

I don't think it is in Australian rugby's best interests to say to our key players that they are free to go to Japan, miss the EOYT and then come back early in the Super Rugby season. I don't see it as a viable solution because players will get destroyed quickly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
When someone does't have a contact or has an option their way; and doesn't take it up, then they can do anything they like. There is no obilgation

I guess we may see him in April/May

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It seems to me that the ARU has essentially agreed to a Sabbatical. The only difference is that Cummins will not remain under contract with the ARU. This seems inconsistent with their publicised position. Who is the ARU kidding?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Maybe we don't have sabbaticals, but maybe a player swap with Japan, E.G Cummins goes there for the summer they pay his wage they keep him happy let him come back for ( tests if required ) or not till there back a season later., Allow them to send a Japanese player this way next season outside the squad allowance as an extra. Helps us get some money back in our pockets, Gets Japan more players in a higher comp with better training.

T

Train Without a Station

Righto, for all these geniuses saying how sabbaticals are a good idea, explain to me what we do when every player wants to earn the extra cash?

And then when these players are playing an extra 9 games a year and inevitably get injured, or burnt out/injured like elsom how we are better off anyway?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The GAGR insights on the front page are illuminating.

Family of eight siblings, two of whom have cystic fibrosis, cared for by the single dad who has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

If there's ever been a strong case for letting a bloke make hay while the sun is shining, this certainly is it.

Good luck to him, hope he makes a motza and shares some insights into his time over there.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Righto, for all these geniuses saying how sabbaticals are a good idea, explain to me what we do when every player wants to earn the extra cash?

And then when these players are playing an extra 9 games a year and inevitably get injured, or burnt out/injured like elsom how we are better off anyway?

It's kinda strange either way, plays can do it anyway, sign one year agreements go to Japan in the off season.

T

Train Without a Station

Yes players can, which is what Cummins has essentially done by being granted a release. They just do so at a risk, which may limit the financial appeal.

But let's look at this how it is. The ARU have granted Cummins a release on compassionate grounds. They have not changed anything for this case, which many agree is a fair case to do so for. They have released him, and he takes the risk that he is fit enough to return and get another contract. As he is doing this for a quite selfless reason I certainly hope it all goes ahead seamlessly for him.

My point is if this particular case didn't deem a reason to change the rules, I can't see any case doing so.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's kinda strange either way, plays can do it anyway, sign one year agreements go to Japan in the off season.

They would need a special contract to do that because the contracts run until after the Japanese season starts and the Japanese season finishes just after Super Rugby has started.

I just don't get the logic of people saying we need to change our selection policy in light of these players leaving.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The GAGR insights on the front page are illuminating.

Family of eight siblings, two of whom have cystic fibrosis, cared for by the single dad who has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

If there's ever been a strong case for letting a bloke make hay while the sun is shining, this certainly is it.

Good luck to him, hope he makes a motza and shares some insights into his time over there.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm sad to see him go as he is one of my favourite players but if I were him & it was my family in that predicament I'd leave without a second thought.

The Japanese are going to love him, lol. Maybe he'll come back with some Japanese slang added to his repertoire.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Wasn't Rocky released to play for Leinster due to unique and extreme personal reasons? Did we ever find out what those were?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wasn't Rocky released to play for Leinster due to unique and extreme personal reasons? Did we ever find out what those were?

Yes. They cited compassionate grounds and also said that it remained confidential. I never heard what the grounds were.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm gutted that Badge is leaving but also understand the purported reasons. He's champion bloke and a great footballer. Hopefully we see him back soon.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Love the Badger.

He is probably a bit more savy about his selection chances at RWC time in the Wallabies than we are.

For run-on he would be competing straight up with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and big Speight. Chuck into the mix Tomane and JOC (James O'Connor) and it would be difficult, and certainly no certainty that he gets the nod.

Wish the bloke all the success in the world