• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions V Rebels, 5 July @ Ellis Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Full time. 34 - 17 lions. Really lost it in the last 15. Altitude fatigue kicked in. Game closer than the scoreboard suggested. We had our chances.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
That was clearly Tom English's best game this season. Probably because he got more ball in this game than he had for all other games combined.

Turnovers at the maul hurt us. As did Higgers' yellow, we were still in the game then and had the ball. I thought Jack look quite good tonight. Made some good runs. Can't believe Jack kicked conversion from sideline and then missed that penalty.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
3 momentum shifts.

Missed penalty by Jack. 2 penalties to Lions. 14 - 7 instead of 8-10, albeit 14-10 at HT.

Their second try changed the momentum again, got a lot of front foot ball.

Then we were always backwards from the Yellow card.

Until the stupid card Higgers played well, as did all the Flankers. English was good, as was Jack apart from the penalty.

So...

Fuglistaller subbed for reasons unknown (injury?)
Hegarty done his shoulder.
Burgess with some leg injury.
Stirzaker with what looked like a collarbone.
Inman not knowing he was in South Africa.
Higgers potentially cited as well.
Ellison and Kingston not coming off the bench for Inman suggests there's something there too.

Yeah... need replacements...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Split off from a maul with the Lions 19. One arm around the neck. Other arm lifted beyond the horizontal, dumped and then fell onto him with the elbow narrowly missing the face.

Quite an ugly incident. Only a Yellow onfield. But something which may be cited for mine.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Welcome back to rugby Tom English. Has been on the park but absent from the game until tonight. Good game appart from a lack of awareness at one point.

Turnovers continue to plague us and we are too deep in attack. We lost metres on our own ball passed by so far to our backs and I think this costs us.

Altitude seemed to kick in at 65 min because the boys looked rooted after that but at least did not give up a fourth try. Small consolidation I know but Sith our recent results I am prepared to take anything.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
McGahan was quick to play down any suggestion that the Rebels struggled in the final quarter due to their inexperience playing at altitude. We don't have any excuses about altitude or playing away from home, we have had a great preparation

McGahan must be the only coach in Super Rugby that thinks playing at altitude is no different and two days preparation is "great".....aaaargh!!! the SA commentators last night said it was "crazy" to expect to acclimatise in such a short time. Bring on 2016!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
That was clearly Tom English's best game this season. Probably because he got more ball in this game than he had for all other games combined.

Turnovers at the maul hurt us. As did Higgers' yellow, we were still in the game then and had the ball. I thought Jack look quite good tonight. Made some good runs. Can't believe Jack kicked conversion from sideline and then missed that penalty.

The turnover at the maul was largely due to our abnormally high body height. It got better as the game went on, but most of those turnovers were in the first 20.

Tom English looked brilliant on the left wing, took his chances and got some meat. Would have got more if he didn't confuse the 5m with the goal line. Second hilarious blooper of the year.

Sadly, can't say the same for Tom Kingston. Caught out of position so many times I'm even surprised he lasted that long. Woody made an immediate difference when on.

Jack had a better game, but still needs work. His touch finders were good at times, but the gift 3 points he missed was terrible. Decision making will get better with time.

Pack overall was good. Couple of bad scrums made up with some gains. Ruck effectiveness was better than last week. Lineout worked well with shota and Hugh. Probably Hugh's best match of the year. Jordy was fairly solid at the breakdown , but leaked early penalties.

Clear standout for me was Colby. Was in everything, played on the laws edge and won some good turnover. Burgo was good at the snipe and took the quick tap opportunity to get up engo's meat. Higgers and Pyle looked like the 2013 version with the running play. Higgers card was a bad brain fart, but at least willy Heinz wasn't badly hurt.

The thing that stung was the last 15 when the altitude fitness kicked in. We did about 7 phases at one stage for a 5m gain? They looked rooted at that point. Can't blame them.

Injury wise, I think Mitch will be out of the lions march due to concussion. Id move Tom to OC, vineau to a wing and woody on the other. Crumbs may be under a cloud too.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looks like big red and lopeti are on a flight to SA today.

Edit: my guess lopeti will cover higgers who will have a week in the stands, looked like Pyle was cramping and may have been injured.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Was Fugs injured? Off at half time after a pretty reasonable First.

If Higgers and Fugs are both gone then Jones to 6, Colby to 7 and Lopeti to 8 with Big red and Jordy on the bench.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Some injuries in both backs and forwards. Only forwards being flown over. Still no additional props sent over. No extra backs flown over is a bit of a surprise but Foketi and Meehan are already over there I suppose.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Was Fugs injured? Off at half time after a pretty reasonable First.

If Higgers and Fugs are both gone then Jones to 6, Colby to 7 and Lopeti to 8 with Big red and Jordy on the bench.
Didn't see him go down, but could be. I was more fascinated by some of his binding on Toby in the scrums. Looked more like a lock bind (through the legs) than a traditional flanker. Don't think it had much effect because he switched back to normal.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I think the commentators said at one stage that Veainu injured his ankle during the warm up. It can't have been too bad because he still played.

Status
Not open for further replies.