• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders Sun 6th July @ the SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
some nice runs in broken play, but i posted during the game that he was beaten twice in one play and he is still suspect under the high ball.

After that display, this is just manufactured negativity. Try saving tackle in cover was Beale back to his defensive best. I don't recall him missing twice in the one movement but if you think about it, to miss twice in the one play means at least you have to get up off the ground and go after the second player, which seems to me to be a mark of desperation to close down an attack. I don't remember him dropping a high ball either.

His running from the back was sublime, he gets to the approaching defensive line so quickly that they have little time to get set. The inside ball to Folau for the try was a master class. He and Foley ran the game completely - one of the competition's best teams just could not cope with their double act.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Can someone at the ground comment on the eastern stand?

the top of the eastern stand (corporate boxes) was less full than usual. I agree it looked more than 25, closer to 30. The best thing though was the involvement. Each player being subbed off got a a big cheer from the crowd.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
some nice runs in broken play, but i posted during the game that he was beaten twice in one play and he is still suspect under the high ball.
I made comment early on that beale was doing a lot of the high ball catches rather than Folau as he was defending behind the line. i can't recall him dropping any so i don't know where the "suspect under the high ball" comes from. As Hawko says thsi si just manufactured negativity, mostly from those with a little red koala in their messages (however I do note that a couple of posters have waratahs in theirs).

At the moment he is one of the form backs in Super rugby and he is playing an important role with the Tahs

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale was beaten in the air once by Buckman who took it cleanly.

On the whole I thought Beale was excellent as he has been for the vast majority of the season.

I thought Beale set the tone at the very start of the match. He took the ball and there was a lot of space in behind the Highlanders defence. Most players would have taken the option to kick for touch about 10m out and put pressure on the Highlanders.

Instead Beale took the ball to the line and sent the ball wide and we made a break down the right hand side through Alofa.

That intent has been crucial all season and in the second half of the season the execution has matched it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Tahs have a 100% record when Pfitzy, Braveheart and I get on the piss BEFORE the match. Contributions gratefully accepted. :cool:

Well I WAS on the piss during my sojourn to the Hunter Valley (Wandin Valley have a Viognier that I found thoroughly interesting) and therefore will still take my credit, if you please. Even though I was up to the fetlocks in water during the game as my house slowly emptied.

Thank Christ most of my computer gear is off the floor, but I lost some good power boards that day...

Filthy I missed that game (and the drinks beforehand) but life sometimes decides to punch you in the balls. I made sure the WiFi was the first thing back on so I could watch the highlights through the Super Rugby app though!

Worried leading into halftime that we weren't capitalising on the good vibe I was getting through social media and online commentary. Then we just blew shit open in the second half and I had to keep refreshing just to keep up with the score.

If you're judging the game just off highlights: how fucking good was Kepu???

DO IT FOR DENNO!

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just got the official email. Semi-final at Allianz and final (if we get that far) at Homebush. You'd think we have a shot at filling up Allianz. Maybe if Pfitzy can make it this time, as many will come to bask in his wit and aplomb (at least that is what I understand from reading Pfitzy's post).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It is a sight to behold, without doubt... The only question is: if we tell enough people, should we move the semifinal to ANZ as a precaution?

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It is a sight to behold, without doubt. The only question is: if we tell enough people, should we move the semifinal to ANZ as a precaution?

Heresy I know, but I doubt even your vaunted reputation is sufficient to get enough people there to turn that cold, uninviting lump of soulless concrete into a half decent venue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Isn't line speed & enthusiasm in defence a sight to behold?

There was some hype before the game about the match up between Fekitoa & Ashley-Cooper & it certainly didn't disappoint. I thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) put on a master class of defence by an outside centre. The old bull (with all due respect, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), with 8 years seniority) v the young bull.

Just like there are 15 Nathan Grey's out there.

Chieka has done a great job this year, but just as much credit has to go to the assistant coaches, you can see their input in what the Tahs are doing, defence in particular is striking for me, Grey's love of the physical dominant collision is there for all to see in even those players who have in the past been somewhat suspect in defence.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just a reminder if people have forgotten (or never saw) Grey play. I struggle to think of a more physically dominant defensive centre Australia & NSW has fielded. Maybe Morty at his best.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Biggest fucking hospital pass ever from Henderson. How that plonker ever got picked for the Lions remains a mystery to this day

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Well played Tahs, and congrats to all you long-suffering, but faithful, (and loyal) Tahs supporters.

On Saturday night, Mrs Doug and I plan to have a great meal and a couple of drinks at the Transcontinental Hotel in Brisbane, before things start "to go downhill" once we enter Suncorp Stadium!!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just a reminder if people have forgotten (or never saw) Grey play. I struggle to think of a more physically dominant defensive centre Australia & NSW has fielded. Maybe Morty at his best.

That's a bit of a bold call. Best 12, probably, but we've fielded some big strong guys at 13 for the Wallabies that I've rate up with Grey defensively, and who would be much more physically agressive offensively. If you're talking Waratahs, then yes, I'd can't think of one since rugby went professional.

Grey was a good player, but I think he's rather overrated by some on here. We've had quite a few 12s who, as complete players, are head and shoulders over Grey. In the modern era, there's Horan, Giteau, arguably Flatley, and now perhaps To'omua if he stays at 12 for a few years.

However, the work Grey has done with the Tahs defence has been great. Their attitude (shown in line speed and cover defence) is a reflection of this. You know a team believes in their defensive structure and works hard at it when their tackle completion is lower in a game, but they cede less points. I think this has been the case a few times for the Tahs this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it was a pretty fair call.

I think Grey has been our most dominant defensive centre in the last 20 years. It was the cornerstone of his game.

All the other players you named were better overall players in my view because they possessed better all round games.

Grey was limited in attack and kicking compared to a lot of the other options.

I think Pat McCabe is currently the most similar style player.

Status
Not open for further replies.