• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

That's because mass changes cannot be done. If you're roster isn't any good, you are stuck with them until they are under contract.

Look at the Brumbies. How many of their players were on their roster in 2010 or 2011?

Obviously you need to keep the good talent and replace the inferior. But advocating stability for the sake of it is pointless. You need to build on your good performers and at the Rebels, you could really count them on about 1 hand.

Before anybody says that about the Reds, their same players were good enough to make 3 consecutive years of finals, they have some runs on the board.

Count the promising youth the Rebels have that is improving and therefore should be expected to improve and that's probably another hand. Beyond 10 players they need to constantly turnover and increase that number of players worth keeping.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
...If you are happy to wins 4 games a year consistently,then that's an A grade plan.

So may I ask what your plan would be?

Which six players would you shoot?

Who would you replace them with?

Another group of 19-21 years olds with potential on short contracts or, are there six ready to go, quality Super Rugby players available to be signed?

As others have mentioned, losing Pyle and Woody will hurt but the other players that are coming in are obvious upgrades on those they're replacing.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Mitch Inman is a perfect example. He has been playing professionally for something like 5 years. Would you consider he played his best this year? If not, what evidence is there to suggest he has the ability to play any better? Behind blind belief of improvement anyway.
Yep, I think Inman has been improving a bit every year and this has probably been his best season to date.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I am not happy with four wins.

Basically since the Rebels started we have turned over a third of our list pretty much every year. That has done us a lot of good. So with a more stable list for 2015 I think there won't be as much starting from square one in the pre-season and hopefully that will see an improvement in our performance.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Maybe Rebels should try and model the team a little like the last few years at Brumbies. 3 years ago, they were a very young and inexperienced side, barr a couple of Wallabies players. I think they (coaches, support staff) built up a more positive culture, and gave the young, inexperienced players the self belief they needed to give the championships a good old crack. Just because there may be young inexperienced boys at Rebels doesn't mean the job can't get done. The staff need to help the team build the belief that they can!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Maybe Rebels should try and model the team a little like the last few years at Brumbies. 3 years ago, they were a very young and inexperienced side, barr a couple of Wallabies players. I think they (coaches, support staff) built up a more positive culture, and gave the young, inexperienced players the self belief they needed to give the championships a good old crack. Just because there may be young inexperienced boys at Rebels doesn't mean the job can't get done. The staff need to help the team build the belief that they can!

The Brumbies rolled the dice and picked some players out of nowhere. Lucky for them enough of them turned out to be handy (though plenty of them went nowhere), it was a calculated risk but still a risk. At the time nobody was sweating on Mogg, Speight, Timani, Fardy, etc. They also plucked a coach out of nowhere.

The Rebs don't have that kind of a coach and sadly our ballsy player selections haven't paid off in the same way. You can't just go out and 'be like the Brumbies' otherwise everyone would do it.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
The Brumbies rolled the dice and picked some players out of nowhere. Lucky for them enough of them turned out to be handy (though plenty of them went nowhere), it was a calculated risk but still a risk. At the time nobody was sweating on Mogg, Speight, Timani, Fardy, etc. They also plucked a coach out of nowhere.

The Rebs don't have that kind of a coach and sadly our ballsy player selections haven't paid off in the same way. You can't just go out and 'be like the Brumbies' otherwise everyone would do it.

Not saying they should "be like the Brumbies", just look at the psychology of it all. The Rebels need some self belief! I was using Brumbies as an example of something positive that came from a pretty hard couple of seasons with lots of coaching,support staff and player changes. Now that particular core group of players that were seen as the less experienced and very young, have resigned to Brumbies for a number of years. That can only be a positive thing for the franchise when you want to look at continuity within the playing group and player combinations. I understand that the Rebels have a less experienced coach of course, but you have to start somewhere! I would love to see the Rebels have a good crack at the title over the next few years. It can only be a good thing for Aussie Rugby.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
I think they (coaches, support staff) built up a more positive culture, and gave the young, inexperienced players the self belief they needed to give the championships a good old crack.

I would love to think this could happen with our team but I fear not. TT seems to have a "my way or the highway" style. I doubt that builds self esteem and confidence! We have the talent - we just need some one to make it gel.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
this off the Reds 2015 thread

Totally baseless rumour (heard from a mate who lives in Melbourne, a bit to do with the rugby scene) that Higginbotham may be in the process of negotiating a release from the Rebels (hes signed until 2015) to return to the Reds. Apparently he believes the team has been taking backwards steps recently (sounds like the Reds!) which is affecting his personal ability and will hurt his chances of making the RWC side which he desperately wants to be a part of.

I find it unlikely but also not impossible, he did just co-open a new restaurant here in Brisbane last month and has other business dealings in QLD so its not like he's fully established a base in Victoria.

Anyone know if this holds water?
he certainly plays a different game under Terrible Tony, but then so do most of the team.

D

daz

Mitch Inman is a perfect example. He has been playing professionally for something like 5 years. Would you consider he played his best this year? If not, what evidence is there to suggest he has the ability to play any better? Behind blind belief of improvement anyway.

Did someone call my name?

:p

But to answer your question, I have been watching the big unit play from day one in Super rugby, and I have no doubt, none what-so-ever, that 2014 has been his best year. By a looong shot.

Parts of his game have been developing very well over those 5 years, especially his defensive work and ability to link with the backline in attack. If I could wish for any part of his game to take a big step up in 2015 it would be his try-scoring output.

And I'd really prefer him to not think he has to be involved in every breakdown; the Rebels lose a good linking option for quick recyle when he has his bum over the ball every 30 seconds.

Is he going to to be remembered in the same breath as some of the greats of the game? No, probably not. But his work ethic, passion and willingness to leave it all out on the field is exactly what a young team needs.

Part of me wonders if he would enjoy the same level of starting appearances and 80 minute game time if he was at another team. I am not so sure about that.

Perfectly happy for him to be the Rebels 12/13 for the remainder of his career, to be honest, but I am pretty sure he will head overseas at the end of his current contract should he not get a Gold jersey by the end of 2015.

T

Train Without a Station

So you're saying that for the example of Mitch Inman, he has so far peaked as a player in 2014?

I guess that comes back to my point. What basis is there to blame the coach solely if a number of players are playing better than they have before, he seems to be doing something right.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
this off the Reds 2015 thread

Anyone know if this holds water?
he certainly plays a different game under Terrible Tony, but then so do most of the team.

Sounds like nothing.

Of course he opens businesses in Brisbane because a) he probably intends to go back home when he retires and b) he probably knows more wealthy people up there to get the equity to start his cafes/restaurants. So that proves nothing.

As far as performance reasons? Maybe, it's pretty silly if he thinks that he'll perform better in red in the current circumstances.

D

daz

So you're saying that for the example of Mitch Inman, he has so far peaked as a player in 2014?

I guess that comes back to my point. What basis is there to blame the coach solely if a number of players are playing better than they have before, he seems to be doing something right.

Yeah, I think Mitch is playing the best rugby of his career so far.

I'm not blaming the coach at all. Personally, without being part of the inner sanctum, I think Tony is doing some good stuff and needs more than a year to be judged on performance.

I'm hopeful it's a case of one step back for two steps forward.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
As far as performance reasons? Maybe, it's pretty silly if he thinks that he'll perform better in red in the current circumstances.
except that he may be allowed to play his natural game rather than being shackled by a coach with limited horizons and as a captain of a team expected to play to those narrow parameters.

it would not surprise me

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah in all fairness it hasn't been you saying much negative about TT Daz. Just the point I was getting at is that plenty are slating the coach blaming him for the poor performance and blaming squad turn over for the rest. The point I was getting at is for the core of the team, there's been no history of superior performance generally as individuals, so I don't know how their performance is necessarily down to coaching alone and that how stability would necessarily bring improvement.

The chat seems to be that TT has done an RG by many, when in fact all his done is maintained the mediocrity he inherited.

D

daz

except that he may be allowed to play his natural game rather than being shackled by a coach with limited horizons and as a captain of a team expected to play to those narrow parameters.

it would not surprise me

Oh, by "narrow parameters", do you mean "not giving away a penalty every second play"?

Yes, how dare Tony impose that kind of dictatorial system.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah in all fairness it hasn't been you saying much negative about TT Daz. Just the point I was getting at is that plenty are slating the coach blaming him for the poor performance and blaming squad turn over for the rest. The point I was getting at is for the core of the team, there's been no history of superior performance generally as individuals, so I don't know how their performance is necessarily down to coaching alone and that how stability would necessarily bring improvement.

The chat seems to be that TT has done an RG by many, when in fact all his done is maintained the mediocrity he inherited.

Except the team is performing worse than it did in the previous 2 years. Hill was coach for 2 years and we ended up in 12th and 13th place. He was sacked. Now in 2014, we will end up in 15th place (more likely than not). That is clearly not acceptable.

I would think out of the team that Higgers, Pyle and English were playing better last year than this year. The only player that was with the Rebels last year that has really improved would be Jones.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Oh, by "narrow parameters", do you mean "not giving away a penalty every second play"?

Yes, how dare Tony impose that kind of dictatorial system.

I've never been a huge fan of Higgers, but his leadership and play on the field last year was amazing. He has been well off his best and I think that is clear with how he has approached his play and decision making this year.

Perhaps it is frustration with the coaching style but 3 yellow cards in a season is letting the team down and puts him well down the Wallaby list.

Status
Not open for further replies.