• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Pfitsy if i ever encounter you at a game I will be sure to by you a beer. If you have any hands free to hold it that is.

Corporate Suite is only good if you've set up a whole heap of mates to get rowdy and drink the stadiums supply of piss and bang on the chairs like there is no tomorrow

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Couldn't agree more I think he has proven himself this year and all the haters and doubters should all bugger off.

Michael has shown this year he is a great coach ;)

jack-nicholson-sticking-finger-flipping-bird.gif

Go Brumbies!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitsy if i ever encounter you at a game I will be sure to by you a beer. If you have any hands free to hold it that is.

Corporate Suite is only good if you've set up a whole heap of mates to get rowdy and drink the stadiums supply of piss and bang on the chairs like there is no tomorrow

Chur!

Shame I can't make the Brisbane game actually. At least there would be enough opposition fans to try and drown me out.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mate I'm sure with all the noise you make you would delay half the M&A deals going on in Sydney

I'm a burden to the economy ;)

So looking at the simple table stats, you see why the victory over the Highlanders is a good one, but perhaps not a great one:

POINTS FOR (with average):
447 Waratahs (29.8)
439 Hurricanes (27.4)
411 Crusaders (27.4)
411 Blues (27.4)
393 Highlanders (26.2)

POINTS AGAINST (avg)
269 Waratahs (17.9)
283 Shorks (18.9)
292 Stormers (19.5)
314 Crusaders (20.9)
328 Bulls (21.9)
Highlanders are 12th with 408 (27.2)

POINTS DIFF (avg):
178 Waratahs (+11.9)
97 Crusaders (+6.5
89 Shorks (+5.9)
65 Canes (+4.1)
27 Blues (+1.8)
Highlanders are 10th with -15 (-1)

And this is the most telling stat for me - the Clan have beaten some teams handily to get into 4th spot. But they're still leaking points like a mofo (worse than three of the Saffer teams). They just happen to get their bonus points right a fair bit of the time:

BONUS POINTS
10 Highlanders
9 Waratahs, Hurricanes
8 Blues, Chiefs, Reds
7 Bulls
6 Crusaders, Sharks, Cheetahs
5 Rebels
4 Brumbies, Stormers, Force
2 Lions

Tsk tsk tsk Brumbies - could have been serious contenders if you weren't Jakeballing the fuck out of things.

Similarly the Force - both they and the Ponies have more wins than the Clan and Canes, but didn't score the tries to make it count just a little more.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah it is better, but I clicked on three articles and found three quite obvious errors. Stuff like this:

'Taqele has spent the last four years in Australia playing league. Off the field, he considers himself a family man and says that spending time with his daughter has to be his favorite way to send time.'

I don't like hating on the Tahs staff, but this looks pretty sloppy.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tsk tsk tsk Brumbies - could have been serious contenders if you weren't Jakeballing the fuck out of things.

Similarly the Force - both they and the Ponies have more wins than the Clan and Canes, but didn't score the tries to make it count just a little more.

Just read something on FoxSports http://foxsports.com.au/rugby/super...essing-room-wall/story-e6frf4qu-1226982141791

" The Waratahs are the only team in the competition who haven’t conceded a four-try bonus point this season, and have restricted rivals to two tries in 12 of 15 games.

At home their record is even more impressive: holding opponents to one try or less in six of eight games."

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Just received members email regarding the purchase of semi final tickets. Key points below.

SEMI-FINAL - Saturday July 26, 7.30pm (Allianz Stadium)

PRE-SALE 1 - 8 and 6 game members with reserved seating
Description: Opportunity to buy your same seat ONLY with a 20% member discount. Please note that additional tickets cannot be bought in this period and will need to be purchased in Pre-sale 2.
How to buy: Each member will receive a unique password, which must be entered exactly as provided. The next email you will receive will include your unique password, and the link to the ticket purchase page.
Opens: Friday July 11 at 12.00pm (midday)
Closes: Sunday July 13 at 11.59pm (midnight)
What to do now? Read our Members' Ticket purchase FAQ document
For all information about finals series go to waratahs.com.au/finals

PRE-SALE 2 - 8 & 6 game general admission members; all part season members; all non-ticketed members
Description: Opportunity to buy up to three tickets per member - one ticket for each membership held (not available to those who purchased their same seat in pre-sale 1) PLUS two additional tickets per membership held, all with a 20% member discount, PLUS the option to purchase unlimited additional tickets at the full price using a generic password. Members who purchased their original seat in pre-sale 1 will also be included in pre-sale 2, allowing them to buy up to two additional tickets per membership held.
How to buy: Each member will receive a unique password, which must be entered exactly as provided. The next email you will receive will include your unique and generic passwords, and the link to the ticket purchase page.
Opens: Monday July 14 at 9.00am
Closes: Tuesday July 15 at 11.59pm (midnight)
What to do now? Read our Members' Ticket purchase FAQ document
For all information about finals series go to waratahs.com.au/finals

PUBLIC SALE
Description: After members pre-sale periods have closed, tickets will go on public sale. Member discounts are only applicable in the two pre-sale windows; discounts will not apply once tickets have gone on sale to the general public.
Opens: Wednesday July 16 at 9am

Note:Discounts do not apply once tickets have gone on general sale. Multiple transactions are permitted, transaction fee applies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah if you win all your home games - and pick up bonus points in more than half of them, you're on a good wicket come finals time.

Maximum points = 80 (16 matches)
Home game wins = 32
Bonus points in 5 home games = 37

Based on the games upcoming, cutoff is going to be about 42-43 points. So all you have to do is figure out two wins away to get there.

Tahs only missed getting a single point in three games: Sharks (A), Force (A), Blues (A). They picked up one bonus point in the loss to the Brumbies.

Of their 11 wins, the ones against the Stormers (A), Bulls (H), and Chiefs (A) were the only ones without 4 try BP.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Interesting kiss of death article from across the dutch:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...s-still-a-chance/story-e6frf4qu-1226984104136

Rattue says:

“The bad news for the Waratahs is they are not clearly the best side in the Super 15…The Waratahs have a history of flattering to deceive which is also hard to ignore.

“If the Crusaders can put out their best side, and Todd Blackadder gets his selections right, they are probably the side to beat. Even then, their form is ridiculously erratic.”

While I agree with the sentiment i.e. that the Crusaders are genuine contenders with their playing roster and pedigree, how can you say one team clearly isn't the best if they've scored the most points and conceded the least, as well as wrapping up the minor premiership with a round to spare...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting kiss of death article from across the dutch:
Rattue says:

“If the Crusaders can put out their best side, and Todd Blackadder gets his selections right, they are probably the side to beat. Even then, their form is ridiculously erratic.”

While I agree with the sentiment i.e. that the Crusaders are genuine contenders with their playing roster and pedigree, how can you say one team clearly isn't the best if they've scored the most points and conceded the least, as well as wrapping up the minor premiership with a round to spare.

These two quotes sum up the Crusaders chances:
  1. Blackadder has not shown he's a great selector, ergo they are not the side to beat. The team just does not have the continuity of play and from 11-15 they have issues. They've got three good players in 10-15; Slade, Carter and Nadolo and one fading star; Dagg. Does Carter play 12 to allow Slade to play 10? Then they've only got to cover two duds. Otherwise its three duds in six.Compare that to the Tahs where good players can't even get a chance.
  2. Their form is hopelessly erratic. Losing to the Sharks at home, almost losing to the Highlanders (Vinnies blade of grass decision). A couple of reasonable results in between but nothing outstanding.

Maybe the giant will awaken, but its not looking promising. They've got three trump cards - McCaw, Reid and Carter. If one of them doesn't turn up they are gone!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think in two weeks we'll see the real Crusaders emerge. Its whether they've got the ability to patch up those holes and play some finals footy that will be the difference.

Hopefully we get a ref like Walsh who won't take any crap at breakdown time.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Speaking of refs:

Brumbies loss - Jaco Peyper
Sharks loss - Mike Walsh
Force loss - Angus Gardner
Blues loss - Chris Pollock

Interesting that Jaco is a known free-for-all advocate, where Walsh and Gardner don't have the experience IMHO to handle big occasions just yet. The Blues loss was an abortion brought about by poor hands, and not much else.

But we got over those humps and fixed our breakdown work simply by being quicker and harder than our opponents in the contact area and moving the ball away from it. Long may it continue, because if we do come up against the Crusaders we're going to be trying it on McCaw and Read - two of the most invisible back rowers ever.

And if Carter is kicking our disciplinary slips won't go unpunished.

Anyway, Reds for now, then whomever in a couple of weeks.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
$70 for Platinum tickets and I assume that includes the 20% discount up front. Pretty steep - won't stop me though. We are situated between the halfway and 10m line about 20 odd rows back, BRING IT ON!

Edit - plus $9 booking fee and 1.95% credit card fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.