• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
personally I don't know why people get so caught up on commentators. I don't exactly turn them down, but I barely pay attention to them when watching the game. It doesn't really bother me who commentates as long as they're showing the footy.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
personally I don't know why people get so caught up on commentators. I don't exactly turn them down, but I barely pay attention to them when watching the game. It doesn't really bother me who commentates as long as they're showing the footy.

To each his own, Reg. I cannot understand how people can ignore the commentators, but there you are, we are all different. Turning the volume down means that the crowd noise, and the match officials' instructions and explanations, are lost.

A good commentator can bring a lot to the enjoyment of the game, in my opinion. Particularly when it comes to expert analysis of refereeing decisions, an area of the game that most of us find puzzling and frustrating. Genuinely expert analysis of tactics can also be very interesting. Rare, but interestng.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its the inaccuracy of all of them that shits me. Sure, having to do a call "in the moment" when you've got thousands of people listening, and you're watching the live game and not the monitor would be tough, but take a bit of time to NOT be a wanker.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
All i will say is; Game of Thrones...

Ego's play a big part in the TV industry, channels will do things purely to spite each other and protect their own content.

I worked for a while, many moons ago, for the company that did the ratings survey for the British television market. We were in London a few weeks ago, and had lunch with an old colleague who stayed in the business, ended up working for AC Neilsen (who took the company we worked for over), and then the BBC, still doing television audience surveys of various kinds.

I asked him why there is such a premium placed on being first in the ratings, a question that has fascinated me for years? From a purely financial perspective, surely the value of a commercial spot does not change radically, just because one channel is a point or two ahead of the next? (I can understand why hugely popular events can command huge rates, Super Bowl, and even SOO, but that is not the case in the current discussion about Fox and TEN).

In the end, it seems to come down to a question of morale, team spirit, whatever it would be called, amongst the sales force. According to my friend, the ratings leader is perceived as a winner, and that has a flow-on effect out of proportion to the theoretical commercial paramaters. That's what they believe, so presumably, it is a valid preoccupation.

However, the larger question remains. Why, if you were Foxtel, would you not make a tiny potential sacrifice today, for the benefit of increasing your potential audience tomorrow? And, as I asked earlier, how many Foxtel subscribers are going to choose the TEN broadcast anyway, particularly if the commentary team is the same dreary bunch?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Its the inaccuracy of all of them that shits me. Sure, having to do a call "in the moment" when you've got thousands of people listening, and you're watching the live game and not the monitor would be tough, but take a bit of time to NOT be a wanker.

They seem to think that they have to talk continuously, that is what I just do not get. We have eyes, we can see what is happening, we do not need to be told every player's name that takes part in a movement - maybe for the first few minutes, or when a player does something outstanding, name him - we do not need to be told that the ball has just been kicked, passed, or that a player has been tackled.

WE CAN BLOODY WELL SEE IT, YOU DRONGOES!!!!

Tell us what we cannot see, add a bit of value to the pretty pictures, explain things that we do not understand. In short, do not say anything unless you have something worthwhile to say. When in doubt, shut up.

T

TOCC

However, the larger question remains. Why, if you were Foxtel, would you not make a tiny potential sacrifice today, for the benefit of increasing your potential audience tomorrow? A

Foxtel have made the sacrifice with the A-League been broadcast on SBS, and the concept is reportedly a flop..

Furthermore, Foxtel don't have the rights for Super Rugby post 2015, it's inevitable that they will retain them exclusively but why would Foxtel give a potential competitor to the rights a taste of how good the ratings could be.. Imagine If the game were broadcast on channel 10 and rated massively, it would completely change the landscape for competition over the rights and place pressure on Foxtel to retain them..

Maybe such a concept would work to the benefit of Foxtel, and maybe they wouldn't lose any viewers, but that's a lot of maybes and the same argument has been had in the past over the A-League GF and nothing has come of it.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I posted this in the Gold Brigade thread too but it's a Rugby Broadcasting development. Fox are about to launch a new show about us, the Wallabies fans so surely a great chance to get our heads on the Tele.

Starts next week on Tuesday nights, 7pm.

Errol Hunt

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone know if the Women's Rugby World Cup next month will be shown on Australian TV? (Trying to get my daughter interested in playing rugby. Would help if she could see it was recognised as a sport!)

I asked the ABC - they said not being shown there, unfortunately. Asked the ARU but got the dial tone.

T

TOCC

I wonder if the QRU will be able to continue there live streaming of premier grade rugby games for the NRC, they obviously have the corporate knowledge/will-power to do so.. It's just going to be a licensing issue between Foxtel and the ARU/QRU..

If it's broadcasting one of the games which isn't on Foxtel there shouldn't be any conflicts, but broadcasters can be a little funny over these things.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Apparently Foxtel didn't buy the digital rights so there's no restrictions for streaming. The rebels are planning to stream their home games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Apparently Foxtel didn't buy the digital rights so there's no restrictions for streaming. The rebels are planning to stream their home games.

Wow, that surprises me..
That's great news though, we will get to watch more games then first thought.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hope they have some commentators on the streams.

Hey, it could be a way to develop the next generation of rugby caller!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I assume you are talking about the current contract. I doubt that this loophole will be allowed to survive in the next contract.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I assume you are talking about the current contract. I doubt that this loophole will be allowed to survive in the next contract.

I seem to remember some restrictions on Foxtel acquiring exclusive rights to the online streaming of sporting events being set a few years ago, along the lines of the anti siphoning laws. I can't find a reference to them though so I'm not sure of the details.