• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It amazes me that the ABs have for years shown the way in terms of maintained performance at the highest level.

For instance the AB scrum coach, Cron, travelling around addressing skill issues at Super level with individuals. Case in point, Crocket - he still has his hinging problems by is a far better prop than he used to be. Where are Alexander, Robinson etc etc etc in terms of comparative development? Robinson for instance has fallen a long way behind other props of the same vintage like Woodcock.

My point is if the ARU were fair dinkum about "High Performance" they would have emulated such roles with coaches like Fischer and maybe consultants like Rodrigeuz providing such skill improvement mentoring to address individual issues. Apparently a Head coach doesn't have time (and in many cases the expertise) to address such things in team camps, and indeed I think these are long term improvement projects.

Taking about scrum development in a nation where the backs are largely overpaid?

Tell 'im he's dreamin'!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Even if Italy were to offer the role to Cheika, would he be likely to take it?

there's a number of key questions to answer.

1. Is coaching the Wallabies his ultimate career goal as a coach? If so, does coaching Italy get him any closer to that at all?

2. Is coaching a team outside the top 10 an upward career move from Super Rugby?

3. Would the money be better?

4. Does Cheika have strong family ties in Australia?

You'd have to imagine the answer to the first 3 would need to be yes to see him take the offer.
3. > Chiek has made alot of money away from Rugby with his fashion company. I think 1 and 2 would be the important questions he is weighing up.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why would Link pull the plug after the RWC? Even if we won I would think he would want more than two years in the job.

Link will want to stick around for a long time, and Cheika surely knows this.

It's a fair gamble to make. Stay with the Waratahs for 2015. When the RWC is over someone will have lost their coaching position (I'd guess whoever doesn't make it out of the pool from Aus, Wales and England). Then either take the Wallabies job (if its open) or take the overseas coaching job. Or stay with the Waratahs. Easy peasy.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It amazes me that the ABs have for years shown the way in terms of maintained performance at the highest level.

For instance the AB scrum coach, Cron, travelling around addressing skill issues at Super level with individuals. Case in point, Crocket - he still has his hinging problems by is a far better prop than he used to be. Where are Alexander, Robinson etc etc etc in terms of comparative development? Robinson for instance has fallen a long way behind other props of the same vintage like Woodcock.

My point is if the ARU were fair dinkum about "High Performance" they would have emulated such roles with coaches like Fischer and maybe consultants like Rodrigeuz providing such skill improvement mentoring to address individual issues. Apparently a Head coach doesn't have time (and in many cases the expertise) to address such things in team camps, and indeed I think these are long term improvement projects.

It helps that Cron was basically the architect of the new scrum laws. Sneaky Kiwis.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's a fair gamble to make. Stay with the Waratahs for 2015. When the RWC is over someone will have lost their coaching position (I'd guess whoever doesn't make it out of the pool from Aus, Wales and England). Then either take the Wallabies job (if its open) or take the overseas coaching job. Or stay with the Waratahs. Easy peasy.

Or take the Scottish job. There's always an opening in Scotland.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Cotter's any good, we'll be in the quarter finals, 2nd place should be ours for the taking.

Samoa at full strength with a good preparation will be better than you in most positions.

And world cup year they'll probably get a few more guys putting their hands up (guys that have given up on the All Blacks and Wallabies). Maybe someone like Lima Sopoaga.

You should beat Japan and USA but neither of those games will be gimmes either.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cheika has coached and played in Italy so he'd be pretty familiar with the place, looks to be on.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
That's a tough one, the word fluffybunny isn't one they use in Italian. Though they have words they'd use in the same circumstance.

Oh, you weren't seriously asking? My bad.

just FYI, fica is the related word. Literal translation is Fig, but is used colloquially to refer to the map of tassie, and is also used as an insult

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Waratahs coach Michael Cheika in line for extended contract
Georgina Robinson www.smh.com.au

It may be true that success has many fathers but there will be no paternity tests required if the Waratahs go all the way this season.

Michael Cheika deserves the credit for the NSW side's long-awaited revival and his board knows it. Which is why they have approached the European Cup-winning coach about a two-year extension to his contract when it ends next year. Nothing formal has been tabled yet but Cheika wants to have his plans finalised by the end of this year so his players know exactly what team management will look like in seasons to come.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/waratahs-coach-michael-cheika-in-line-for-extended-contract-20140710-zt2rc.html#ixzz374Padeio

This should give Cheiks more time to establish the culture and style of play he has brought to the Tahs since 2013. Hope to see a Crusaders-like set up where the Tahs are up there with the front runners year in and year out with a title or two thrown in the mix.

T

tranquility

Samoa at full strength with a good preparation will be better than you in most positions.

And world cup year they'll probably get a few more guys putting their hands up (guys that have given up on the All Blacks and Wallabies). Maybe someone like Lima Sopoaga.

You should beat Japan and USA but neither of those games will be gimmes either.

It would be awesome he played for his native country. The PI teams are always only a decent playmaker and set-piece away from being genuine contenders.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would be awesome he played for his native country. The PI teams are always only a decent playmaker and set-piece away from being genuine contenders.

I'm guessing at 23 he'll still be hoping to be an All Black one day.

He was born and raised in Wellington.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This should give Cheiks more time to establish the culture and style of play he has brought to the Tahs since 2013. Hope to see a Crusaders-like set up where the Tahs are up there with the front runners year in and year out with a title or two thrown in the mix.

Bit pessimistic there Badger! What about the fourpeat! :)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, by the following WC he'll be 27 and a trip to Europe will be due anyway.

Hard to see him getting ahead of Cruden or Barrett.

If he starred for Samoa at the world cup he'd get a big offer in Europe. Would make twice as much money and still get to play test rugby.

Samoa could be a real dark horse with a good 10. They smashed Italy in the scrums when they played in June and they have some great outside backs, and one of the best 9's in world rugby in Kahn Fotuali'i.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

As a Reds fan may I suggest you revel in the current success and don't count those chickens just yet.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
As a Reds fan may I suggest you revel in the current success and don't count those chickens just yet.

Not counting any chickens or anything else at the moment. Been burnt too many times by the Tahs to get carried away. That's why I hope Cheiks can set things up so that any successor can't screw things up and have things go to hell again. The Reds serve as a lesson in this regard.

Certainly won't be getting carried away unless they lift the trophy at around 9:30pm on 2 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.