• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Personally, I would have thought the 5 boys who moved directly here from overseas (Smith, Sexton, Lahiff, Fuglistaller and Veanui) would play for the Rising out of, well, obligation. Perhaps obligation is the wrong word, but they would have fewer established connections than others.

But someone said that The Beef will be playing for Country Eagles, so I have no idea.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
whilst i can understand the rationale of blooding locals, i think the best interests of rugby in victoria are served by having a successful rebels team. to that end a successful rising is a good start and i would play as close to the "rebels" XV as possible.
assuming fit and available

smith/ah nau
leafa/sexton
weeks/PAE
jeffries
neville
reid
faainga
timani

stirzaker/meehan
debreczeni/hegarty
a n other
inman
english
a n others brother
veainu

other locals

might see hegarty and debreczeni sharing 10 and 15 duties, alternatively

T

Train Without a Station

With an allowance for 16 players to remain, you would imagine they will fill their starting team with those players and then have the next most promising/most important to have a look at on the pine.

But remember, from round 1 there will be bench 7 spots for locals providing everybody is fit. If one impresses I doubt they wouldn't promote them over a contracted player.

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
IF 2014 NRC goes well thus insuring a 2015 comp and IF the planets align, is there any merit in an NPC team or two coming over for a curtain raiser/trail game before a Rebels match late in the season or at Albert Park Stadium? I am fully aware that it would be more of a logistical issue than anything else....but surely the experience, especially for Dewar Shield players would no doubt be invaluable. If 8 games (excluding finals) turn into 10 at that level, that is a 25% increase, and that can only help the VRU depths & quality.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Really happy with the variety of game times. Saturday 6 is great.
$46 for the 4 games is also great. Kids under 12 free is a stroke of genius!
Now the questions I have are, Do we get full strength beer?
I was sure Little Red signed a 2 year contract with the ITM Cup team he played for last year, does this outweigh NRC?

Tex

John Thornett (49)
A mate used to run one of the bars at AAMI and according to him the only stipulation regarding full strength beer is the time of the match. Afternoon matches have full strength available.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Jordy is not playing NRC. Shoulder op in the off season. Not sure if he is waiting for club rugby to finish.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
whilst i can understand the rationale of blooding locals, i think the best interests of rugby in victoria are served by having a successful rebels team. to that end a successful rising is a good start and i would play as close to the "rebels" XV as possible.
assuming fit and available

smith/ah nau
leafa/sexton
weeks/PAE

Weeksy will probably go up to the Stars given his Sydney Uni ties.

I agree that we should be mixing local players in amongst an established unit. The goal of the Rising should be to close the gap between Dewar and S15.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Weeksy will probably go up to the Stars given his Sydney Uni ties.

I agree that we should be mixing local players in amongst an established unit. The goal of the Rising should be to close the gap between Dewar and S15.

yes there are strong connections between lots of the rebels and Sydney Uni/Stars but why would say laurie go and tom english or tom kingston or mitch inman not?

T

Train Without a Station

One would hope it would depend on which players the Rebels want to develop and look at from their Super Rugby squad. Perhaps they feel Weeks won't benefit any further from playing at this level and would rather other props get game time at their own discretion.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The other thing is that they should be looking at the strengths of the Vic Clubs.

If there's a particular strength, say outside backs, or loose forwards, allowing Rebels in those areas to leave, and instead retaining 5 front rowers, or 2 scrum halves, or other potential areas of weakness.

I couldn't go into specifics, but I think that the club would have.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Well, me and Mrs daz are now season ticket holders for the Rising.

If 4 home games can be considered a season, that is.

Did you have a look at your receipt email?
mine has my ENTIRE credit card number on, as well as the expiry and the 3 digit "security" code on.

T

Train Without a Station

Mate I'm almost certain he belongs to the Rising if they choose to keep him. You Shute Shield clubs need to learn if you want talent, you need to pay it.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes i would be very surprised and bitterly disappointed if JackD was playing anywhere other than the rising

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
yes there are strong connections between lots of the rebels and Sydney Uni/Stars but why would say laurie go and tom english or tom kingston or mitch inman not?

Paul Alo Emile needing more game time and continuing his development in Melbourne is the reason why Laurie will be heading to the Stars. Laurie could still play in Melbourne depending on selection for the end of season Wallabies squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.