• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You know the club is required to provide more than a touchie and carton of beer for each game?
Where do they just pull a sneaky $75k from?

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
You know the club is required to provide more than a touchie and carton of beer for each game?
Where do they just pull a sneaky $75k from?

I understand that.

With no Penrith the Greater Sydney Rams finishes at Parramatta.

There is a lot more west of Two Blues territory.

I appreciate the financial aspect.

Though the current fan base for the Rams is SS supporters , until people see them play.

Having Penrith in would have expanded the current supporter base

I know it may not happen , though it would be nice.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I can pretty much assure you that penrith, eastwood and all the other club players will still be involved if they're good enough, its just a matter of financial commitment and direct ownership on the clubs behalf.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
i.e. they're not part of the CONSORTIUM that runs the place, but will still get to use it as a development pathway. How political that gets remains to be seen, but I suspect that there will be an unspoken compromise of "we get to use your talent to win our titles".

If the Consortium are stupid enough to use their core clubs' players as a preference, then they're cutting their nose off to spite their face.

If the thing is financially successful, perhaps then the other clubs join in with a contribution financially to reap the rewards.

I'm a big fan of reducing the number of decision makers in situations like this. It helps avoid grey decisions.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would it be a case of using their players (Eastwood's for example) for the Rams but these clubs don't get any financial benefit/assistance that may arise form the competition (very unlikely I grant you but...)

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
If the Rams are a kind of amalgam of western Sydney clubs and I watch them and see players from outside those clubs then that will be a big turn off for me.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think they'll still be players with a tie to Western Sydney. But a few of the clubs like Uni are already sticking their gilt-edged oars in the water and claiming players from Western Sydney who are already aligned with an Eastern club.

I hope the squad is composed completely of players who actually live out here and have played either junior or senior rugby out this way. No imports would suit me down to the ground, and probably cost the club less as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd suggest, given some clubs have more talent than others, that its unavoidable that a few will cross lines. Particularly with clubs like BalmUni - the amount of Wallabies they have will thin their ranks a little, but there are a shedload of Super players available there who might go somewhere else for a starting spot.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I heard that 50 players were called to a meeting. 17 from Eastwood. With three Eastwood coaches and a gun side you can expect them to dominate.

That's fine - I'm happy for them to help us win the title. But they don't get any gate takings from it.

Looking at my calendar now, and trying to think which games I'm getting to. If I run into some money between now and then, I'd love to go to all of them, but at this point its just the Sydney games, particularly:

- Home v Vikings should be a MUST for all fans so we can show on the broadcast that we're serious about this. I'll be struggling with post-work kids activities but will warn the wife (and harangue) in order to get there.

- Home v Stars is, again, a MUST so we can show those silvertails some bile

Coogee, Brookey, and the other three Home games are all likely.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Former Auckland halfback now playing in the Newcastle comp Auvasa Falealii confirmed as a Ram in the Newcastle Herald yesterday. He impressed on the Tahs tour of Argentina last year and is hoping to get another Super contract.