• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllYellow

Frank Row (1)
Great to see these resources. Interested in rep teams - always great to have the battle of the sexes playe out. The lists already set up give a pretty good idea.

(Squad lists for 1sts)

GPS - Pacino, Stratton, Rees
CHS - Ma, Kirk, von Arnim
CAS - Thorne + Kim (from callbacks)??
ARCHDALE - Harper, Crowe, Shepherd, Large

And then from callbacks the 2nes:

GPS - Babidge, Donohoe, Wallace
CHS - McCulloch, Irwin
CAS - ?
ARCHDALE - Wang, Ham, Wijetilaka, Garrett (+ one other from above)

Or are there guns out there who didn't even trial or were unlucky? Certainly looks from here like the girls could have the edge this time

Marcus

Bob McCowan (2)
Hm very interesting AllYellow! I agree that that is probably how the teams will play out roughly, cant imagine too many other surprises.

In terms of the overall outcome of the reps season your suggestion that the girls might dominate is intriguing, and I dont think it is totally unfounded. I would argue that the GPS Firsts have an outstanding concentration of talent in their top team, however across the board the Archdale competition seems to have produced a greater breadth and depth of talent. I feel that in the likely event that GPS dominant the firsts the Archdale Reps squad would definitely still stand a chance at taking out the competition with a strong performance from their seconds and firsts.

(Just a quick note on your listing of Ricky Ham in the Archdale squad - I believe in the initial posting by Aka_The_Think the formatting accidently misattributed the info on Melinda Walsh to Ricky. I think its highly unlikely that *he* attends PLC at any rate :p But I was confused intially as well)

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Or are there guns out there who didn't even trial or were unlucky? Certainly looks from here like the girls could have the edge this time

As far as I am aware very few people from Scots, Kings, Joeys and Shore trialled, and they're all relatively strong - there's a lot of talent that these lists fail to take into consideration.

Further to that, two notable people that the CAS list fails to include are Robbie Ferguson (from Knox) and Lorenzo Benitez (Aloys) - both very strong speakers.

That said, all the sides should be relatively strong, though I still think that GPS is the team to beat.

When does CAS start?

Wolfey

Stan Wickham (3)
CAS has already started, as with most other competitions, I believe. How're the GPS results looking thus far, aka_the_think?

I hope no one's too perturbed by my earlier comment. Discussing the rhetorical arts can often get a bit dry; nothing like a bit of humour to lubricate the conversation.

Wolfey

Stan Wickham (3)
Great to see these resources. Interested in rep teams - always great to have the battle of the sexes playe out. The lists already set up give a pretty good idea.

(Squad lists for 1sts)

GPS - Pacino, Stratton, Rees
CHS - Ma, Kirk, von Arnim
CAS - Thorne + Kim (from callbacks)??
ARCHDALE - Harper, Crowe, Shepherd, Large

And then from callbacks the 2nes:

GPS - Babidge, Donohoe, Wallace
CHS - McCulloch, Irwin
CAS - ?
ARCHDALE - Wang, Ham, Wijetilaka, Garrett (+ one other from above)

Amongst these groups, obviously the GPS is the favourite, but who else could make a dent when they go up against each other? Marcus? aka_the_think?

Marcus

Bob McCowan (2)
CAS has already started, as with most other competitions, I believe. How're the GPS results looking thus far, aka_the_think?

Hi Wolfey - The GPS competition only begins this Friday. Do you have any info on the progression of the CAS comp? Please see my earlier comment for my thoughts on contenders in the Reps Season. :)

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)

I hope no one's too perturbed by my earlier comment. Discussing the rhetorical arts can often get a bit dry; nothing like a bit of humour to lubricate the conversation.

Like Marcus said, the comp starts this Friday evening, with Grammar and Newington promising to be huge.

Marcus

Bob McCowan (2)
Unfortunate for Newington although not unexpected. Did anyone attend?

In Archdale news a bit of an unexpected upset! SCEGGS was defeated by Ascham, pushing Ascham to the top of the leaderboard. This is an interesting result, however I am sure it will not unduly affect the final result, and SCEGGS will still comfortably progress to the elimination rounds.

In the CHS comp the Grand Final is between North Sydney Girls and Sydney Boys High School, although I am not sure I know any notable debaters from North Sydney Girls so that is a bit of a surprise.

Any updates on the CAS Comp?

Paul Williams

Bob McCowan (2)
After a sublime performance from both sides at College Street in round 1 (thanks for the tip off aka_the_think), my passion for schools debating has been well and truly reawakened. And after the travesty at Bellevue Hill on Saturday afternoon it looks like attendance on Friday nights might become my regular GPS outing. Any picks for a fixture this week?

Paul

Joseph Bicknell

Frank Row (1)
I was at the Grammar v Newington debate on Friday evening and I couldn't help but be struck by how much stronger Grammar is this year, comparative to last year. How much of an impact do you guys think Grammar finally being free of speakers like Gabe Bowes-Whitton, who couldn't pull their own weight, will have on their ability to win this season?

I remember watching a Shore v Grammar debate where Bowes-Whitton was by far the best speaker - for Shore!

EDIT: might I add that is not an inane 'Shore = sure' pun, the lad actually just gave a horrendous speech.

AllYellow

Frank Row (1)
Before too many results come in, now might be a good time for the clarvoyants among us to put in their bids.

My GPS prediction.

Newington - 6. A disappointing first round result, but still the most consistent side in the GPS. Hard to imagine them losing to anyone other than Grammar
Grammar - 6. A strong side, but not as infallible as they have been in the last couple of years. Odds are pretty good that View or High will be able to take a point off them
High - 4. I saw them in the Premiers' comp. In my view, the most overrated of the teams this year. 4 is a pretty generous ranking to my mind
SIC - 4. The team's ISDA performance shows that they're good enough to pick up an upset or two, but they don't have the strength to play against the big boys consistently
Joeys - 2. Would have put them higher, but the first round loss against Scots shows some weakness
Scots - 2. A surprise win against Joeys makes me want to put them higher, but I can't see them going a lot further
Kings - 2.
Shore - 2. Both Kings and Shore are solid teams who are unlucky to be put into a high-quality GPS season this year

Certainly too early to set these in stone, but I'd happily make bets on plenty of these. What does everyone think?

Michael Serafim

Frank Row (1)
Before too many results come in, now might be a good time for the clarvoyants among us to put in their bids.

My GPS prediction.

Newington - 6. A disappointing first round result, but still the most consistent side in the GPS. Hard to imagine them losing to anyone other than Grammar
Grammar - 6. A strong side, but not as infallible as they have been in the last couple of years. Odds are pretty good that View or High will be able to take a point off them
High - 4. I saw them in the Premiers' comp. In my view, the most overrated of the teams this year. 4 is a pretty generous ranking to my mind
SIC - 4. The team's ISDA performance shows that they're good enough to pick up an upset or two, but they don't have the strength to play against the big boys consistently
Joeys - 2. Would have put them higher, but the first round loss against Scots shows some weakness
Scots - 2. A surprise win against Joeys makes me want to put them higher, but I can't see them going a lot further
Kings - 2.
Shore - 2. Both Kings and Shore are solid teams who are unlucky to be put into a high-quality GPS season this year

Certainly too early to set these in stone, but I'd happily make bets on plenty of these. What does everyone think?

I think Grammar's going to go undefeated, no other team compares in my opinion. What are people's thoughts about winners in teams other than the firsts or should we not bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.