• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wrecking rider

Best game of footy I have seen since the 07 prelim where qbn romped into their first grand final in years. Is the top 4 settled yet or can Royalies sneak in?

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
No that has officially closed the door on Royals aspirations this year. Top 4 is settled. Good to see Wests coming good at the right point in the season with an important win over Tuggies. Should make for an interesting finals series.

HeadTape

Bob McCowan (2)
Hearing a few suggestions from around the traps that Royals are adamant that Vikings have thrown the game against Wests on the weekend, to ensure that Royals will absolutely push it up hill to make finals.

As far as I'm concerned, Tuggies battled manfully all day, despite missing several legitimately injured key starters from their forward pack. Both Oakman Hunts, Perry, Cree and Naeata who had been filling in were all injured.

The named teams didn't outline how dire the situation was, blokes were starting out of position all through the pack.

Typically unsurprising inferiority complex from the Blue Baggers. :rolleyes:

W

wrecking rider

Oh well in that case there goes my Top 4 predictions from March... For the record I had
1. Royals
2. Queanbeyan
3. Vikings
4. Uni Norths

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
It's a long shot, very long, but Royals can still make it if they beat The Eagles with a 4 try bonus point & Wests get no points against The Whites.
Anybody at Royals suggesting Vikings may have thrown a game to help keep Royals out of the finals have serious delusions about the strength of their squad this year & frankly need to give themselves an uppercut.

Equation

Stan Wickham (3)
1sts: Gungahlin 24-38 Royals
2nds: Gungahlin 0-31 Royals at halftime, not sure final score..
Colts: Gungahlin 27-58 Royals

1sts: Wests 24-47 Queanbeyan
2nds: Queanbeyan won
Colts: Queanbeyan won

1sts: Uni Norths 41-22 Easts
2nds Uni Norths 22-24 Easts
Colts: Uni Norths 86-5 Easts

W

wrecking rider

Paper suggests that Royals are playing Gungahlin and Tuggeranong play Queanbeyan. Should be a cracking first week of the finals.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think its tuggers V Qbn in every grade but 3rd grade (tug V Eagles) - in the major semis on Saturday - then on Sunday its the 3rd V 4th place minor semi - I guess all at Vikings Park?

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
It's a long shot, very long, but Royals can still make it if they beat The Eagles with a 4 try bonus point & Wests get no points against The Whites.
Anybody at Royals suggesting Vikings may have thrown a game to help keep Royals out of the finals have serious delusions about the strength of their squad this year & frankly need to give themselves an uppercut.

Saw Royals trounce Gungahlin on Saturday. Royals backs looked very sharp on attack. I must say though that even as a Royals fan I’m not surprised that they run afoul of the referee on occasion with their breakdown play. As coach, Russ has no one to blame but himself if they find themselves on the wrong end of the penalty count. Can anyone say what happened when Bowden was talking to the crowd after an eagles try in the second half there?

HeadTape

Bob McCowan (2)
Saw Royals trounce Gungahlin on Saturday. Royals backs looked very sharp on attack. I must say though that even as a Royals fan I’m not surprised that they run afoul of the referee on occasion with their breakdown play. As coach, Russ has no one to blame but himself if they find themselves on the wrong end of the penalty count. Can anyone say what happened when Bowden was talking to the crowd after an eagles try in the second half there?

Believe the Royals coach was punted by Bowden for excessive abuse throughout the course of the match.

Pretty pathetic, given the scoreline.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
It would be interesting to hear the view from ACT Southern NSW Community Rugby Manager to abuse of match officials. I wonder if the ref put an official complaint to ACT Rugby ? Code of conduct is for everyone.

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)

Royals coach definitely did NOT get the boot from the ground. Was just asked to stand back a metre from the sideline. A few punters then gave bowden a bit of stick (nothing too offensive) but seemed to get under his skin and he addressed the crowd saying "if you're not having a good time you can leave". This obviously sparked a few more jibes directed his way but nothing serious.
Nothing more beyond that. A lot of misguided rumours getting around

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Royals coach definitely did NOT get the boot from the ground. Was just asked to stand back a metre from the sideline. A few punters then gave bowden a bit of stick (nothing too offensive) but seemed to get under his skin and he addressed the crowd saying "if you're not having a good time you can leave". This obviously sparked a few more jibes directed his way but nothing serious.
Nothing more beyond that. A lot of misguided rumours getting around

Apologies for furthering such a rumour.

Tough to see the side crash out though, there was a lot of expectation among the old boys/lower grades that this might be the year.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Especially tough for them considering how well they played in the first half against the Eagles. Some of their best Rugby in years which, if replicated in the finals, would have taken them all the way. That said, consistency has been their issue all year. That plus a shocking injury toll. Losing Cusack last year was always a massive hole to fill & when you factor in long term injuries to Sokai Tai & Siliva, who played most games last year, their side was never as strong as last year & any confidence was fairly misguided IMO.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I think that it will be a very tightly contested semi for Q'byn vs Vikings, but I think Vikings at home will be too hard to beat. They win by 7. I think Gungalin will get over Wests, but again another tight one. Gungalin by less then 10.
But having said that i still think it will be a Vikings vs Q'byn GF.

W

wrecking rider

I'm keen for two huge days of footy. Im backing a close one Saturday and the Western District Lions to over power Gungahlin on Sunday.

G

getemback10sir

From all accounts Qbn were excellent at Jamison on saturday. Never easy to score a win at the feeding grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.