• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tip

It's a shame if the rumours regarding Kuridrani joining his brother at the 'Saders are true.

There were rumours that Nadolo would be joining the Reds to be closer to his family; whilst also taking up the opportunity to play pro rugby with his little brother. Turns out the rumours were true but in the reverse.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It's a shame if the rumours regarding Kuridrani joining his brother at the 'Saders are true.

There were rumours that Nadolo would be joining the Reds to be closer to his family; whilst also taking up the opportunity to play pro rugby with his little brother. Turns out the rumours were true but in the reverse.

To me that just shows how inept the Reds recruitment has been. Both RG and Sam Cordingly have been very very poor and it seems if the big two they are chasing fall over the Reds are screwed. 3rd Party deals are also a genuine joke with the Qld Reds both in regards to the players and also the sponsors.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Gill isn't anywhere near beau's physicality, hard running and hitting, which is what we are lacking.

Gill is a better player, but just saying Beau isn't chopped liver. Was good enough to win a title with after all.

Missed this. Why is physicality something a 7 needs? Gill's running is twice as good as Beaus and his tackling is far superior. A 7's job isn't to break a line in attack that is someone else's. Beau was a good player but this year he wouldn't be in the top 7 opensides in the country which isn't good enough to put someone like Gill onto the bench. Beau missed quite a few tackles this year also which led to tries, something a good 7 shouldn't do. I like Beau's character as a player because yes he puts everything in but 2011 was 3 years ago so I fail to see how that is relevant to his form now.

T

TOCC

To me that just shows how inept the Reds recruitment has been. Both RG and Sam Cordingly have been very very poor and it seems if the big two they are chasing fall over the Reds are screwed. 3rd Party deals are also a genuine joke with the Qld Reds both in regards to the players and also the sponsors.
Of course the recruitment will look inept if they don't release the details of players they have signed

T

Train Without a Station

Based on 2014 players and form Beau would be the 3rd best openside in the country.

Physicality is extremely important for a 7. If he is the hardest and biggest mongrel in your pack you have a problem, because one of the 7 other bigger forwards should be showing more but it's still extremely important. They are the player that likely makes the most tackles, and hits the most rucks both in attack and defence. Their physicality in the tackle and over the ball is hugely important.

As I said, Gill is a better rugby player, but if you think he was outstanding in 2014 you need to take off the blinkers. He in fact was outstanding in 2013 but he hasn't repeated it.

It's probably not worth getting in the discussion on missed tackles because they cannot be just measured in stats. You need to consider was he a player that pushed to get to a tackle others wouldn't have? In which case its more difficult and more likely he misses it. Also making more tackles will lead to more misses.

A good players job is to provide what his team needs, and in 2014, Beau was bringing more of what the QLD Reds needed than what Liam Gill was.

Now don't get me wrong, if you are blind and just listened to Fox Sports commentary, Gill was amazing and just getting pilfers and forcing penalties at will. But if you actually watched the game, you'd notice that he didn't bring the same quality that he did in his own game in 2013, and Beau brought what the team was needing and at times I think it was to the detriment of his own game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Reds will be a better side when they don't need the mongrel and physicality that Robinson provides.

A big part of the problem in 2014 was the lack of balance in the forward pack and the lack of players that gave them that harder physical edge. Ideally in 2015 the Reds will get that mongrel from elsewhere in the pack and Beau can be on the bench (or outside the 23).

The Reds certainly seem like the sort of side where if things are working well, Gill will start and Beau can come on late in the game to have dual opensides to speed up the pace of the game late in the match.

Certainly in 2014 it didn't seem like the Reds had the fitness to speed things up late in the match regardless of who they had available. A hallmark of the 2011 team was that they could run other teams off the park.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Well there has been no announcement either way. Reds could use their marquee international spot on Nems, although I find it hard to believe the 'Saders would part with him easily, unless they have some big home grown Kiwi talent coming through.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
"Train Without a Station, post: 637117, member: 3162"]Based on 2014 players and form Beau would be the 3rd best openside in the country..............

I normally agree with most of your comments but I am sorry you must have some serious man love for Beau if you think he was in the top 3.
1. Hooper (even though he plays more like a little 6)
2. Hodgson
3. Gill
4. Butler
5/6. you could split between both Fugilister and McMahon.

Robinson missed several tackles in one on one situations. Yes they were late in the game so he may have been tired but that isn't an excuse at this level. The one that comes to mind is Hayward's try for the Western Force. Straight up miss. That was Beau player and his misread it and it lost the game.

Beau shows mongrel but his ability to slow opposition ball down this year was ineffective compared to what he did in 2011. I don't watch Fox when I go to the games at Suncorp so they don't influence me at all on the decision that Gill has far more impact on a Rugby Field than Robinson does.

He hasn't had as good a season as previous for sure but still is a level above and can be a lot better so why not try and give him the experience to do so.

I agree in full with Bravehearts comments that mongrel should come from your tight forwards,6 and 8. The 7 needs to be the fittest on the field not the angriest.

T

Train Without a Station

So a bloke that played 6 games, one that is a 6 playing 7 because they don't have a 7 and one that only got picked at 6 for half the season in the bottom team have all been better opensides than Robinson? That'll just about do me.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yep. By the way just in case you forgot we finished 13th. Here are some limited stats.

Gill- 501 minutes. Avg tackle compl. of 92.2%- Avg Metres per Run 1.98
Butler - 1213 minutes Avg Tackle compl. of 93.2% - Avg Metres per Run 1.94
Fugilister - 865 minutes Avg Tackle compl of 92.5% Avg M's per Run 2.72
McMahon - 592 minutes Avg Tackle compl of 95.1% Avg M's per run 2.71
Robinson - 863 minutes Avg Tackle compl of 89.9% Ave M's per run 2.28.

There are more stats sure but tackle completion is a big part of a 7's job. I couldn't find turnovers or penalties awarded but the players I have said were above him would be higher per game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If the Reds don't nail Hunt and a big back row player, then their recruitment will look pretty poor. All they will have picked up is JOC (James O'Connor) for yet more talent bled and plenty of hot air in the press.

They've been linked to and missed plenty of other team's players, a few of which of whom are currently bench warmers: Vaea, Aulea, Tomane, Cottrell, to name a few.

In return, they are bleeding plenty of outside backs, whilst holding onto the likes of the often (and pretty justifiably) maligned JJ. Hope he's cheap, is all that I can say.

Don't forget that this is Graham's second year of recruitment, and the second is shaping up to be just as brilliant as the first so far.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If they clear house and pick 30% of the squad as new local talent next year it won't be the worst thing in the world.

The Brumbies clearing house 2-3 years ago catalysed better performances and it would for the Reds too, you don't need to sign rockstars.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Ponies clean out exercise from several years ago included coaching staff as well as players.

So far RG has retained the full support of the Board.

T

tranquility

If the Reds don't nail Hunt and a big back row player, then their recruitment will look pretty poor.

Very true. However let's just wait and see. IF we have landed Hunt and say that American wrecking ball this will have been a fairly successful recruitment drive. However we will still need some young outside backs.

T

Train Without a Station

Yep. By the way just in case you forgot we finished 13th. Here are some limited stats.

Gill- 501 minutes. Avg tackle compl. of 92.2%- Avg Metres per Run 1.98
Butler - 1213 minutes Avg Tackle compl. of 93.2% - Avg Metres per Run 1.94
Fugilister - 865 minutes Avg Tackle compl of 92.5% Avg M's per Run 2.72
McMahon - 592 minutes Avg Tackle compl of 95.1% Avg M's per run 2.71
Robinson - 863 minutes Avg Tackle compl of 89.9% Ave M's per run 2.28.

There are more stats sure but tackle completion is a big part of a 7's job. I couldn't find turnovers or penalties awarded but the players I have said were above him would be higher per game.

Why are you talking about McMahon? He plays blindside.

Anyway, what's your point? There's a deviation of 4.3% from the top player who actually plays openside to the bottom one. Based on an average of 15 tackles per game that's 0.6 tackles per game. Hardly fucking compelling stuff.

But as I said, just spouting stats is misleading. It doesn't factor in what tackles the player is attempting and therefore how difficult they are. Notice how McMahon's is highest of all? Not exactly surprising since he plays blindside and therefore would make less attempts wider of the ruck and is less likely to be beaten by an attacker.

An openside's job is dependent on the rest of the forward pack. Much like all positions really. There is a loose guideline which changes from team to team depending on what those teams have and what that players strengths are. As I said, the Reds needed what Beau Robinson offered much more in 2014, than they needed Gill's quick pilfering link game.

Braveheart actually made a good point when he said that the Reds will be better off if they don't need what Beau brings in the starting team, but in 2014 due to shortcomings of others players we did, and Beau had to pick up the slack for them. Must wear the openside down when he's your number one ball runner off your short line outs instead of your 8.

As I noted, Beau was good enough at 7 to match Richie McCaw in 2011. Funnily enough back then, we had a pack that all did their job, and he wasn't required to do some of their roles.

Thanks for reminding me we finished 13th, but since many also agree Beau would be one of the top 5 options for the Pilecki Medal, and that we consistently at least gained parity in the forwards and lost games in the backs, not sure of the relevance to this discussion. Because we finished 13th that means any single player you want to criticise has been poor?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Ponies clean out exercise from several years ago included coaching staff as well as players.

So far RG has retained the full support of the Board.

AAAAAGH,

We will be the Tahs.
Cheika's first year average, second year the Tahs are in the finals and favourites to win the title.

RG's first year fairly poor but look out for the second year - Reds to win Super 15 title.

This, my friends, is my positivity post of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.