• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
We got Kurtley!

Official Rams Wallabies:

· Kurtley Beale
· Ben Alexander
· Rob Horne
· Tatafu Polota-Nau
· Tevita Kuridrani

Not sure why we got Kuridrani, but I'm not complaining.

We'll the first 4 make sense. I guess the Stars are getting Folau then. Where did you get this info?

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Good to see the Rams received the largest contingent of current Wallabies. Not that it means anything as they will be unlikely to play any games.

As @Redsfan mentioned, Tevita's connection to the Rams isn't readily apparent. Good pick up nonetheless.

NDale

Bob McCowan (2)
Just put through my join group request on FB. Some suggestions for the group. You need a recording of a aggressive Rams bleat followed by a stampede. Another one, flags. You need several large flags and drums. Smaller flags for every member alongside the large ones.

Horned hats are a good idea. Have you settled on a style yet. Look up the St Louis Rams fan hats. They would look good.

Looking for chants. Back on this thread Pfitzy started a good one. You should open it up to the group. Could make it a competition (free fan jerseys as a prize) to come up with a number of songs and chants.

Strongly agree with your suggestions and we will get onto them! Loving the idea of flags and the competition about chants is a great idea!! I'll work on that!

Keep the good ideas coming and comment on the Facebook page to get the traffic flowing!

Keep up the good ideas

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Strongly agree with your suggestions and we will get onto them! Loving the idea of flags and the competition about chants is a great idea!! I'll work on that!

Keep the good ideas coming and comment on the Facebook page to get the traffic flowing!

Keep up the good ideas

I already have posted them on the FB page along with one or two more.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Keep up the good ideas

As a American Football fan I've always liked the Seminoles chant. It's very simple but could be very easily adapted. It would be Rams just elongated to a tune.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looking for chants. Back on this thread Pfitzy started a good one. You should open it up to the group. Could make it a competition (free fan jerseys as a prize) to come up with a number of songs and chants.

This one?

Song? Did someone say song?

To the tune of the Marines' Hymn (or "The Halls of Montezuma" as some know it).

From the foot of the Blue Mountains,
In the Sydney's Greater West,
We will play our brand of rugby,
And will prove ourselves the best.

At the scrum and ruck and lineout,
Or when running ball in hand,
We will take the points and win the game,
We're the Greater Sydney Rams!!

Or something like that.

Gauntlet. Thrown.

Put a couple of shirt slogans on the FB page for fan gear too.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
we were planning on throwing out a competition back then. Not sure what the new lot are doing for a team song. Seems NDale is working for them on that fan engagement so he better push for a quick comp!

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Story from the paper here was that his Waratahs contract that he got last year was only $400 a week and wasn't enough to live off in Sydney, he was signed to play with West Harbour but had to move back to Newcastle.
Trained with West Harbour & had employment,accommodation etc.in Sydney besides the money from the Waratahs.
Wests not impressed with his attitude.
Chose to move back to Newcastle,i.e.didn't have to, but early impressions were that he might struggle in Sydney.
I wonder who is responsible for his selection at the Rams?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Melrose I suspect. Being head coach and a known giver of zero fucks what other people think.

Question is, will this Newcastle Kiwi be better than the other options being rumoured to join?

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Trained with West Harbour & had employment,accommodation etc.in Sydney besides the money from the Waratahs.
Wests not impressed with his attitude.
Chose to move back to Newcastle,i.e.didn't have to, but early impressions were that he might struggle in Sydney.
I wonder who is responsible for his selection at the Rams?

Ah well there you go. Bit of creative journalism to create the newspaper story up here.

Apparently the Eagles were looking at him as well, not sure whether they pulled out of the race or not.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Melrose I suspect. Being head coach and a known giver of zero fucks what other people think.

Question is, will this Newcastle Kiwi be better than the other options being rumoured to join?

Tell me more about coach Melrose, I don't know much about him and it sounds like you do.

rimmerdee

Stan Wickham (3)
Ah well there you go. Bit of creative journalism to create the newspaper story up here.

Apparently the Eagles were looking at him as well, not sure whether they pulled out of the race or not.

That's interesting. Also interesting to see Dylan Sigg and Mark Swanepoel from the Manly Marlins in the Rams team. Greater Sydney Rams hmmmm... Maybe "All of Sydney Rams". Must be kick in the guts for the players in the affiliated teams work their arses off and see players from Newcastle, manly etc get a gig

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
That's interesting. Also interesting to see Dylan Sigg and Mark Swanepoel from the Manly Marlins in the Rams team. Greater Sydney Rams hmmmm. Maybe "All of Sydney Rams". Must be kick in the guts for the players in the affiliated teams work their arses off and see players from Newcastle, manly etc get a gig

A few friends sons are in the "rams" clubs, we talk much about rugby and that summary is accurate. I guess those blokes didn't like the idea of being Rays 2nd/3rd string

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Look, I'd be pretty pissed if I was a clubbie who was watching "foreigners" come in and take the place over.

But let's face it, any talent that Western Sydney has developed over the years has been sucked into the black hole of Easteros and you only need to look at the Shute Shield table to see the results of that.

We need to get a presence here made up of players who will help build it.

In the future, local players will have the pathway developed, and be able to step up through the clubs they represent and into the Rams. But only if we get behind it. This is not the time - after the withdrawal of Woodies and Southern - to get nit-picky about who holds what residency.

Tell me more about coach Melrose, I don't know much about him and it sounds like you do.

I'm not close to the bloke in any way, but he has a reputation as a guy who likes his rugby uncompromising, fast and open. Plus he doesn't suffer fools.

rimmerdee

Stan Wickham (3)
Look, I'd be pretty pissed if I was a clubbie who was watching "foreigners" come in and take the place over.

But let's face it, any talent that Western Sydney has developed over the years has been sucked into the black hole of Easteros and you only need to look at the Shute Shield table to see the results of that.

We need to get a presence here made up of players who will help build it.

In the future, local players will have the pathway developed, and be able to step up through the clubs they represent and into the Rams. But only if we get behind it. This is not the time - after the withdrawal of Woodies and Southern - to get nit-picky about who holds what residency.

I'm not close to the bloke in any way, but he has a reputation as a guy who likes his rugby uncompromising, fast and open. Plus he doesn't suffer fools.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...me-in-parramatta/story-fngr8il0-1226997588398

The club has been formed to compete in the National Rugby Championship league and the players will be drawn from Parramatta and other western Sydney clubs.

Well I guess theres no incentive playing for the affiliated clubs with manly players in the squad. Therefore the players in the west can disperse to any club they want and be eligble for the rams. And to say there's not enough talent in the west to fill the squad is ludacris.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well I guess theres no incentive playing for the affiliated clubs with manly players in the squad. Therefore the players in the west can disperse to any club they want and be eligble for the rams. And to say there's not enough talent in the west to fill the squad is ludacris.

Do they need to be completely connected though?

The Rams might have a shortage of good players in particular positions and it benefits their team and those players to draft in from elsewhere.

Likewise the Rams might have a glut of good players in certain positions and it benefits those players to have an opportunity to play elsewhere.

It doesn't really benefit anyone if teams are forced to field players that are out of their depth whilst good players who have a shot at being Super Rugby players miss out.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...me-in-parramatta/story-fngr8il0-1226997588398

The club has been formed to compete in the National Rugby Championship league and the players will be drawn from Parramatta and other western Sydney clubs.

Believe everything you read in the papers? And what the fuck does "eligible" even mean?

Does Kurtley play for any of the clubs in the West? Randwick I think you'll find.

What about Kuridrani? Doesn't even have history here.

Tell me - where are the players in every position from Penrith and Parramatta that are going to deliver the title? How many of them have Super experience?

Its all well and good to throw the toys out of the cot because something isn't done the way you want. But then you're in the same position as all the people who didn't want the NRC in the first place like Poido and the Sydney Uni lot.

Rugby in Western Sydney can't stand on its own two feet - due completely to the neglect of the Powers That Be. Now we can correct that mistake, on our own, as it should be.

Relying on the toffs to take any interest beyond lip service in the heartland of the NRL is wasting your time. They've got their own fires to fight.

It is what it is. Get on board, and we can make our own destiny.