• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
Now I understand you! You generalise an entire's school's culture from the report of one bored dad! Thankyou for establishing your logic.

Lineoutlength

Bob McCowan (2)
I see your point, yes perhaps basing it off passed teams is wrong, however is that not where sledging and generalizations come from? something all school are guilty of doing. Also, I do not generalise.
Both schools have some issues to address, but i no for sure Pius would never 'negatively' publicise a win over another team

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
If you sledge a team, you sledge THAT TEAM. Players do not sledge each other about the mother of a player from 2010. (note that is a random example of sledging, no arguement intended) That is extremely good to know, because Pats would never negatively publicise a win over another team either. This is a one-off report from someone who was trying to 'talk up' the capabilities of a team, albeit while tarnishing the reputation of the St Pius team in that year.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Being Tuesday, I'm looking forward to this weeks games. I understand Pius are heading over the mountains to Orange. Should be good games across all ages.
KWS are strong in the 1st XV - I'm predicting KWS by 12.
Pius by 5 in 16As; they'll be all the better and stronger from last weeks game.
One thing I would like to say is that the fields at KWS are the best in the ISA ... good coverage of grass and softer than a duck down pillow!

Lineoutlength

Bob McCowan (2)
i dont understand where u think someone is trying to tarnish a pius team. If u are meaning me and my posts i believe i have merely been expressing opinions you can agree or disagree doesnt bother me. I find this fun i dont this in any way a negative thing, its a forum

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
Lineout you have misenterpreted me, I was saying that the report on the 16 A's game between St Pats and St Pius was slightly disrespectful in the way that it portrayed the Pius team, I was not commenting on you at all.

Cyclops

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks for the interesting discussion. I would urge everyone to re-read my match report at post #325. I'm happy to take feedback and corrections.

I was careful not to suggest that any team, or supporters, has a clean record on behaviour. I think we all agree here, on what is poor form. I don't think this forum is the place to drag out skeletons of sins' past.

I also mentioned the unfortunate red card. Whale Berry, I agree, it would have been interesting to see 15 vs 15 and a possible different result. The kid was guilty of intense try-line defence - a feature of the Pius performance, all day. However, G&G admin has a low tolerance for 'over commenting' on referee performance. I appreciate your opinion.

I propose that we move on.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Whale Berry to reply to your post on the hypocrisy of my previous comment, never in my time as a parent at St Pat's have I ever heard a student, let alone another parent, intentionally make a disturbance during a kick. From my experience, if anyone was to be caught doing this, especially in a First XV match on Breen Oval, the student would receive severe punishment. I cannot argue against your claim of a Pius boy being disturbed during his kick simply because I have not been to Hudson Park* in several years. But to suggest that this is a regular occurrence at St Pat's fixtures is blatanty untrue. I will no longer argue with you about the disrespectful 'cheering' that occurred on last saturday's match, because you either have selective hearing or you were sitting on the top of the goalpost while watching the game. It was even clear that during the game a touch judge was forced to remove a group of St Pius supporters from behind the St Pats goalposts because of their 'unpleasant' comments towards many of the players. Do not feel the need to argue these points but I encourage you to do so, this is fun.

I have not witnessed a first XV match at Breen but I would imagine the school not tolerating that behaviour, however my comment was based on witnessing this behaviour at Hudson. That has been my only point of reference. Maybe away from the school eyes behaviour changes.
I certainly did not mean to imply that every previous group of Pats supporters behaved that way.

As I said my own personal point of view is mixed, I understand the tradition of silence during the kick but I also don't have a problem with trying to put the kicker off with chants or the like (certainly would not condone personal attacks or insults).

Anyway that is just my opinion, the school has come down quite hard and reminded parents and students of the the ISA code which specifically prohibits that behaviour. If that is the rule then it should be obeyed.
I think there was also a not so subtle reminder about comments to the ref.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks for the interesting discussion. I would urge everyone to re-read my match report at post #325. I'm happy to take feedback and corrections.

I was careful not to suggest that any team, or supporters, has a clean record on behaviour. I think we all agree here, on what is poor form. I don't think this forum is the place to drag out skeletons of sins' past.

I also mentioned the unfortunate red card. Whale Berry, I agree, it would have been interesting to see 15 vs 15 and a possible different result. The kid was guilty of intense try-line defence - a feature of the Pius performance, all day. However, G&G admin has a low tolerance for 'over commenting' on referee performance. I appreciate your opinion.

I propose that we move on.

I agree lets move on.
I would like to post the report from one of the coaches which I think is balanced and a good summary (from a Pius perspective of course):
"Our opens 2nds produced a fine performance to record a “spirited” win. They played with great desire, determination and enthusiasm.
Our 1sts started really effectively and were quickly into a 7-0 lead playing with determination, structure and solid individual technique. Such was their determination at the tackle contest that they succumbed to repeated penalties and Nick McCamley was sin-binned for 10 minutes for a team offence. This turned into a red card when Nick repeated the offence shortly after returning to the field. Nick now joins that talented group of players who play No 7 worldwide and fall between the letter of the law and referee interpretation at the tackle contest. McCaw, Hooper, Matt Todd and Nick all have exceptional skills “over the ball”, but their talent is subject to referee interpretation. We all marvel at their ability to win the ball but then gasp as the referee penalises them for not releasing the tackled player, before they attempt to steal the ball. As coaches we would be wrong to alter/criticise their technique. All we can do is remind them of the letter of the law; the referee will ultimately determine the outcome of their talent!"

Cheers

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Being Tuesday, I'm looking forward to this weeks games. I understand Pius are heading over the mountains to Orange. Should be good games across all ages.
KWS are strong in the 1st XV - I'm predicting KWS by 12.
Pius by 5 in 16As; they'll be all the better and stronger from last weeks game.
One thing I would like to say is that the fields at KWS are the best in the ISA . good coverage of grass and softer than a duck down pillow!

I think you are being generous with you forecast of the 16A's score.
KWS had a close result against Oakhill last week.
Oakhill gave the Pius 16A's a rugby lesson just before the holidays.

Cyclops

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree lets move on.
.... We all marvel at their ability to win the ball but then gasp as the referee penalises them for not releasing the tackled player, before they attempt to steal the ball. As coaches we would be wrong to alter/criticise their technique. All we can do is remind them of the letter of the law; the referee will ultimately determine the outcome of their talent!"

Cheers

Well said; a criminal today, a hero tomorrow!

Cyclops

Stan Wickham (3)
Fixtures for the coming weekend?

St Pats 1st XV have an ISA bye. The have organised a run with Kings 3rds. I don't know if 2nds, 3rds and 4ths have an opponent for this weekend.

With a mounting toll of illness and injuries, Pat's will have the doctors working overtime to get the squad on the paddock for the remaining ISA rounds.

Pius would do well to read my review of the Pat's-Kinross match at post #265. It takes more points to win at Kinross. The bitterness of this one-point loss remains etched on the souls of all who were present on that day.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
St Augustines 51ish Gregs 10
10 each at 1/2 time
I have been told some of Greg's league players were permitted to play in this game.
2nds to Augies by more than that

unfortunately for Campbelltown they spent the day with very little ball. In spite of this being a difficult day for them the young men conducted themselves in a manner that is a credit to themselves, their school and the game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have been told some of Greg's league players were permitted to play in this game.

I've seen this line a few times on this thread, and I don't doubt that it's true. My question is who is it who gives/doesn't give permission?

Is it the parents?

Is it the school?

Are they contracted to a league club or at Gregs on some sort of league scholarship which means they can only play leauge?

You may not know the answer, I'd just be interested if anyone does.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any other ISA games played yesterday?

No results in the Terrorgraph sports section results apart from the Augies v Gregs game.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Any other ISA games played yesterday?

No results in the Terrorgraph sports section results apart from the Augies v Gregs game.
Stannies gave Oakhill one hell of a scare up at Bathurst. Oakhill hung on to a 27-25 win over a brilliant Stannies side who executed everything flawlessly "except" a drop goal in the dying seconds from 35m out in the wind ! But just not enough to match that extra class Oakhill seemed to have - a successful penalty kick from halfway and an sweeping backline move that ended up in a try on the right hand wing. Those of you been to Stannies on a cold windy wet afternoon understands the magnitude of that penalty kick .. Was a great game to watch if you are a neutral fan !

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Just guessing that could have brought it back to a three way contest for the pennant that would include St Pats and Augies

if is a pretty big word

ruggaman

Frank Row (1)
I've seen this line a few times on this thread, and I don't doubt that it's true. My question is who is it who gives/doesn't give permission?

Is it the parents?

Is it the school?

Are they contracted to a league club or at Gregs on some sort of league scholarship which means they can only play leauge?

You may not know the answer, I'd just be interested if anyone does.

My Understanding is that the choice is up to the Students. If the two sports don't clash then they can play both. Most league boys are back on deck in Term 3. They play Rugby on Saturday and League on Sunday. The Union and League coaches work together and help each other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.