• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
The news about Foketi was on "Midi Olympique" a french newspaper focused on rugby. It was quoted on Rugbyrama, one of the main website about rugby.
http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-1...nt-cherche-pour-foketi_sto4330197/story.shtml

Par ailleurs, le jeune centre australien, Lalakai Foketi (19 ans), ne devrait pas venir, bloqué par sa fédération comme l'annonce Midi Olympique. Le club basque lui cherche donc un remplaçant.

which means

The young Australian center Lalaki Foketi may not come to Bayonne, blocked by his union as announced on Midi Olympique. The basque team is looking for someone else.

But yet no official statement from the neither Bayonne nor another media.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's possible if the ARU make him play the NRC, given he's not of Wallaby ilk, that Bayonne might have seen it as sufficient to tear up his contract which was already a bit of a risk anyway.

It's different to a brand name player like Timani.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the ARU have cost him his Bayonne contract just to play in the NRC that's a pretty dick move.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Maybe he signed too quickly with Bayonne and now, after a good Junior World Cup, he believes he has a chance to play more often in Super Rugby... I'm not even sure Bayonne will officially communicate about this

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If the ARU have cost him his Bayonne contract just to play in the NRC that's a pretty dick move.

I think the Rebels (and by extension the ARU) signed him on the basis of the NRC being his opportunity. So if that's the case (and it's just speculation), would it really be that much of a dick move?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe he signed too quickly with Bayonne and now, after a good Junior World Cup, he believes he has a chance to play more often in Super Rugby. I'm not even sure Bayonne will officially communicate about this

I'd like to think that this might be the case. After all, if he really wants to go then why would you want to keep him?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Fainga'a, Fuglistaller, Hegarty, Kingston and Reid all out of the NRC due to various surgeries :(

Shame, especially for Hegarty and Reid, they could have really benefited from playing.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Payto and Panda
YOUNG gun Lalakai Foketi could sensationally sign for the Waratahs after changing his mind about defecting to French club Bayonne.
The Australian under-20s vice-captain signed for Bayonne two months ago in what was a big blow for the game.
The outstandingly gifted centre, tipped as a future Wallaby star, was lost to Australian rugby until a dramatic change of heart.
The Rebels rookie is now attempting to get out of his deal, but word from Melbourne is that if he remains in Australia, he will join NSW.
Foketi’s possible signing would be a coup for the Tahs, who are losing outside backs Alofa Alofa to France and Cameron Crawford to Melbourne.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cue outrage at how could the Waratahs possibly afford to sign a player who would command the minimum Super Rugby salary.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Move to the Tahs is probably appropriate. I think we've filled all our spots for next season.

Whereas the Tahs only really have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne as OC options. If two dads heads overseas after the world cup, they'll need another option, as at least depth, and Lalakai is a good option.

Besides, with Inman, Ellison, English and Kingston all capable outside centers, it shouldn't really be an issue, especially if an option or two presents itself in the NRC (say Joe Kamana, or Sefa Naivalu).

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Let him go. Sounds like he wasn't happy in Melbourne - no need to make the guy stick around on a base contract in a city far from home if his heart isn't in it.

Just glad he's sticking around in Aus rugby.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Move to the Tahs is probably appropriate. I think we've filled all our spots for next season.

Whereas the Tahs only really have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne as OC options. If two dads heads overseas after the world cup, they'll need another option, as at least depth, and Lalakai is a good option.

Besides, with Inman, Ellison, English and Kingston all capable outside centers, it shouldn't really be an issue, especially if an option or two presents itself in the NRC (say Joe Kamana, or Sefa Naivalu).

Naivalu is more of a winger and Kamana is more of a fullback.

Usually positions listed on online profiles should be taken lightly.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Just going off the week by week Team lists. :p

And while I can't. Say anything about Kamana, Sefa has definitely played like a third winger in the couple Broncos games I've got to see this year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just going off the week by week Team lists. :p

And while I can't. Say anything about Kamana, Sefa has definitely played like a third winger in the couple Broncos games I've got to see this year.

Box Hill have the issue that any club (or international team) with a lot of Fijians has, not everyone can play back 3.

For evidence, see Nadolo playing 12 for Fiji internationally.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
YOUNG gun Lalakai Foketi could sensationally sign for the Waratahs after changing his mind about defecting to French club Bayonne.
The Australian under-20s vice-captain signed for Bayonne two months ago in what was a big blow for the game.
The outstandingly gifted centre, tipped as a future Wallaby star, was lost to Australian rugby until a dramatic change of heart.
The Rebels rookie is now attempting to get out of his deal, but word from Melbourne is that if he remains in Australia, he will join NSW.
Foketi’s possible signing would be a coup for the Tahs, who are losing outside backs Alofa Alofa to France and Cameron Crawford to Melbourne.

T

Train Without a Station

Any word on if the rebels had offered him a 2015 contract before signing?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dunno if I like this practice of Australia Super squads cannibalising each other. Makes me wonder why Foketi signed with the Rebels in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.