• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What are peoples thoughts on current club players? Who is in the mix?

Tim Cree
Dan Penca
Rowan Perry
Tom Staniforth
Matt Hawke
Nigel Ah Wong
Rodney Iona
Gareth Clouston
Isaac Thompson
Joel Penders
JP Pradaud
Michael Henry
HP Momsen
Joe Powell

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What are peoples thoughts on current club players? Who is in the mix?

Tim Cree
Dan Penca
Rowan Perry
Tom Staniforth
Matt Hawke
Nigel Ah Wong
Rodney Iona
Gareth Clouston
Isaac Thompson
Joel Penders
JP Pradaud
Michael Henry
HP Momsen
Joe Powell

Don't know them all, but I'd expect Cree to come in for Mowen (leaving), Perry a good chance to play 7 to allow Butler to go to 6, Staniforth to replace Carter (Wallabies), Hawke to replace McCabe (Wallabies), Iona to replace To'omua (Wallabies), and Predaud to replace either Sio or Alexander (Wallabies). Can't see Powell getting as go behind Dowsett and Hoffman unless one or other goes to another NRC team. Thompson would also be a good bet but would be behind Cronje and Iona I suspect. Any news on whether the Saffas will be playing? I have assumed so.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't know them all, but I'd expect Cree to come in for Mowen (leaving), Perry a good chance to play 7 to allow Butler to go to 6, Staniforth to replace Carter (Wallabies), Hawke to replace McCabe (Wallabies), Iona to replace To'omua (Wallabies), and Predaud to replace either Sio or Alexander (Wallabies). Can't see Powell getting as go behind Dowsett and Hoffman unless one or other goes to another NRC team. Thompson would also be a good bet but would be behind Cronje and Iona I suspect. Any news on whether the Saffas will be playing? I have assumed so.

Iona plays 12 - I think he is currently a level above Hawke (who is also playing 12) at the moment - Considering Iona played for the Brumbies last night.

I really hope Dan Penca is given a crack but would be an outside chance - prob just behind Perry at the moment - they could either go experience here or young gun.

Hopefully they have an extended training squad to fit some more club players in. I really hope they use this as a development program and just dont bring in new players every year from other areas.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Whispers are that the team will be announced on August 1st.
They will televise our second game. Home game at Viking Park against Perth!
Lets all get behind our local boys and get a great first home game crowd to cheer them on. We need to seriously support all our local boys, so this comp can survive. LETS GO CANBERRA!!!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Whispers are that the team will be announced on August 1st.
They will televise our second game. Home game at Viking Park against Perth!
Lets all get behind our local boys and get a great first home game crowd to cheer them on. We need to seriously support all our local boys, so this comp can survive. LETS GO CANBERRA!!!

According to this none of the Vikings home games will be televised:

Home ground: Viking Park, Erindale. Brumbies Rugby confirmed that Fox Sports will not be broadcasting any Vikings home games.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/07/08/nrc-update-pt-1-queensland-perth-melbourne-canberra/

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Apologie my bad. First game against Perth Spirit at Viking Park. Second game against Sydney Stars as an opener for the Bledisloe cup. That game is televised!

Tim Anstee

Frank Row (1)
Apologie my bad. First game against Perth Spirit at Viking Park. Second game against Sydney Stars as an opener for the Bledisloe cup. That game is televised!

Sydney stars are reported to have the TV game against Brisbane city at ballymore round 1, highly unlikely they will have a TV game second round aswell...

I thought that the vikings were playing the rams in the second round on the Thursday?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe in the cases where an NRC match is played as an opener before a test match there'll be 2 games televised for that round?

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
So it looks like we have our 4 wallabies announced for the team.
Carter, McCabe, Sio, Lilo. Great to have Carter and Sio, but lilo, i think just starting to get inform (besides his kicking), and McCabe hasn't played 80 mins for the whole season except for a less the handful of games. The Sydney Rams have opted to cut their 33 man squad to have more then 4 Wallabies, and they have the big guns! Thoughts anyone?

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)
So it looks like we have our 4 wallabies announced for the team.
Carter, McCabe, Sio, Lilo. Great to have Carter and Sio, but lilo, i think just starting to get inform (besides his kicking), and McCabe hasn't played 80 mins for the whole season except for a less the handful of games. The Sydney Rams have opted to cut their 33 man squad to have more then 4 Wallabies, and they have the big guns! Thoughts anyone?
I think we have chosen the wallabies that are a chance to be outside of the match day 23 and will therefore get some NRC game time. Sio and Lilo especially. No point keeping tomua, white, fardy etc who are almost guaranteed starters and are almost no chance of playing any NRC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think we have chosen the wallabies that are a chance to be outside of the match day 23 and will therefore get some NRC game time. Sio and Lilo especially. No point keeping tomua, white, fardy etc who are almost guaranteed starters and are almost no chance of playing any NRC.

My understanding is that the players themselves nominated the NRC teams they wanted to be associated with. Maybe the Vikings had a say also if more than 4 players nominated them. Can see the links between Fardy/Rays and White/Country but not sure why Matty would choose Country over Brisbane.

Of the four choosing the Vikings, I'd say neither Sam Carter nor Scott Sio will be any chance of playing while the Wallabies are in camp. Probably one of Christian and Pat might be available for some games as they are probably competing for the same bench spot with the Wallabies.

Really looking forward to this competition. Go Vikings.

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)
My understanding is that the players themselves nominated the NRC teams they wanted to be associated with. Maybe the Vikings had a say also if more than 4 players nominated them. Can see the links between Fardy/Rays and White/Country but not sure why Matty would choose Country over Brisbane.

Of the four choosing the Vikings, I'd say neither Sam Carter nor Scott Sio will be any chance of playing while the Wallabies are in camp. Probably one of Christian and Pat might be available for some games as they are probably competing for the same bench spot with the Wallabies.

Really looking forward to this competition. Go Vikings.

Sio is definitely a chance of NRC. He played club rugby during the June Tests this year, as did Lilo.
This is the Vikings team i have pencilled in so far. Few gaps.
1.Smith
2.Lam
3.Smith
4.Staniforth
6.Smiler
7.Butler
8.Fotu
9.Dowsett
11.Coleman
13.Ah-Wong
15.Mogg
17. Allatoa

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sio is definitely a chance of NRC. He played club rugby during the June Tests this year, as did Lilo.
This is the Vikings team i have pencilled in so far. Few gaps.
1.Smith
2.Lam
3.Smith
4.Staniforth
6.Smiler
7.Butler
8.Fotu
9.Dowsett
11.Coleman
13.Ah-Wong
15.Mogg
17. Allatoa

Is that LaLa Lam you have at 2? Has he indicated he will be returning to Canberra to play hooker?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I understand that each NRC team can select up to 15 or 16 Super players who are not in the Wallabies squad. From BB's post above, it appears that the Vikings will only have 11 Brumbies available to them owing to the number included in the Wallabies squad and others leaving. Expect there will be a fairly large component of local JID players. Will we be competitive against teams that have the full complement of Super players? Assume that will only be the Spirit and Rising.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Guys and Gals, if anyone is interested in covering these games for Green and Gold Rugby (match reviews and/or photos) please let us know. We obviously want to cover the comp pretty extensively but will need more hands on deck. We can provide a template for match reviews if needed. If you are interested leave a comment here or send a personal message. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.