• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Other SupeRugby 2014 Semi-Final - Crusaders v Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He's referring to when the two sides met earlier in the season and Jean Deysel was sent off about 20 minutes into the game (and somehow the Sharks still won).

Then I think they're better off playing with 7 :)
Then Alberts was yellow carded with about 12 to go and they closed the match out, even scoring a try, with only 6 forwards.

That game was the single most un-Crusader like I have ever seen. Simply bizarre.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Only after they lost Bresler and had 1 lock. With him back and Lewies the lineout should be fine without him. Mtembu offers so much more around the field.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Kanko should def play. They may toy again with the idea of starting Alberts at 4 so they can play Deysel. He was massive when he came on and will want to make amends in CC for getting sent off in such an absolutely disgraceful manner by a home town ref.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Kanko should def play. They may toy again with the idea of starting Alberts at 4 so they can play Deysel. He was massive when he came on and will want to make amends in CC for getting sent off in such an absolutely disgraceful manner by a home town ref.

I am assuming you think he should not have been red-carded.
Taufua was definitely holding him too long.
After he was released he stamped on the side of his head on purpose.
He wasn't "balancing" himself like Horwill successfully argued.
Furthermore, his guy has a history of dirty play. He knew what he was doing.I think the red card was fully deserved.

It is at about 37 to 41 seconds.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You obviously don't remember that Gillford is Loosehead Len, has written tongue in cheek rugby pieces for years, though they used to be cartoons too, and back then he was Auckland based!! Never make the mistake of taking his stuff to seriously!!

Loose head Len & Susan of Herne Bay may as well have been a lifetime ago, the Giff became a rabid Cantab whilst doing brekky radio in Cheechee roughly 25 years ago & you need only read any of his op-ed pieces to see that. Struggling to think of the last time I read anything of his about the Blues or Auckland that was positive. He also seems to fancy himself as an Serious Author these days (most recently an Andrew Merhtens bio).

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thank you Captain Obvious..

Crusaders.JPG

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This game will be very hard to predict.

The Crusaders forwards have been good over the last four weeks but the backs no better than average. With Carter at 12 and Crotty at 13 it looks a bit better, but that backline is not what you'd call game-breaking. Nadolo given space is dangerous but will he get any? But any pack with Read and McCaw cannot be underestimated.

The Sharks pack has found its vigour again after the Stormers/Cheetahs debacles but their backs are perennially average. Lambie, if selected to start, can make a difference but without him then its ordinary vs very ordinary.

I expect the scrum to slightly favour the Sharks and the lineout slightly to favour the Crusaders. It won't be the rout that was the Highlanders set piece, but there again the Crusaders backline is two steps below the Highlanders too, so the challenge for the Sharks is very different this week.

Travelling east is tougher than travelling west, so the Sharks are disadvantaged that way plus the Crusaders have had the week off. Home crowd and home decisions favour the Crusaders too and for those reasons I think the Crusaders will win but I have no real confidence in saying it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Thank you Captain Obvious..​
crusaders-jpg.5052
Not surprised at this, was at Bledisloe in Brissy a couple of years back, got there early and have mentioned to mates a few times that I noticed McCaw and Carter were first 2 players on field for warm ups by about 3-5 minutes, and lookede serious doing it. ou don't get as godd as these boys on just natural ability alone, think they tend to put in the extra yards.​

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't buy it.

Everyone cries in their beer about SA refs this and that if they ref a local game in SA.

Now suddenly a Kiwi ref is from another burrough and he's a neutral?

There is still a very strong case for every Super rugby match having a neutral ref, but at the very least the playoffs.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Anyone seen the Sharks lineup yet? I can't find it atm.

Particularly interested in the halves. Bismarck spent the whole match absolutely giving it to Reinach last week then everything cooled when McLeod came on and they saved the game. He's an exciting guy to watch Reinach but I suspect Jake might lean to the cooler head this week, if nothing else to appease his skipper.

And surely Lambie can't be sitting on the bench again. I assume he'll be fly half with the rest shifting out a spot and Sithole to the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.