• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Norths is an interesting case. They have struggled for years but with the change in demographic of people living around the club you'd think that they would start to improve financially if they can tap into this market.

I have a few friends who live near by and would walk down to watch games. They need guys like this to become active in their support and not just passive spectators.

Playing depth is another issue. What are the junior numbers like there? Is there an issue with transition from Juniors to Seniors? What is the oldest age group they have in Junior? All of these things have an effect on the senior teams.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There are a number of issues Norths have. However, they're all solvable. Every club has had them in the past.

One problem Norths have is being in very close proximity to Brothers.

Wests have the same problem with two heavy weights in GPS and University nipping at their heels.

One very good point TigersTale made (probably the only one ;)) is that Premier Rugby is cyclical; in previous years University would have struggled to keep players from going to a very strong Wests club in the late 1990s.

Same with Brothers. Souths and Easts battled it out for many years. Sunnybank and Logan will in the future.

However, competition is a very good thing. It stops clubs from being lazy with recruitment.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
First time attending a QRU game today. Going to Oldmac to watch. Sunnybank and Easts. Two good teams? Heard a lot of good things about the Sunnybank ground and club

What did you think George? Was a good day to be green on Saturday with all teams bar 3rd grade getting up.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yep will be interesting to see what movements there are for next year, also if it reverts to 8 team comp as rumoured ,where and if any players move.

I can't see it dropping back to 8 teams Dan. I thought your Saints were pushing to be included, is that not the case?

There will be plenty of player movements in the off season. Players are always on the look out for opportunity and many Clubs are good at convincing them the grass is greener. In most cases things stay the same but for some a change can be a good thing.

I wonder what impact the assistant coaches for the NRC will have on players choices.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Bond beat Norths. Thats 3 points of the compass in a row. They put to the sword Souths, Wests and Norths. Only Easts to go in final game.

They seem to be laying a reasonable foundation for the future.

2015 should see them middle of the table and in 2016 make the top 4. They are building well.

New coaching staff will make a huge amount of difference.

Scrubber2050 you would think it wouldn't be too much of a difference given they have won 3 on the trot. In saying that the playing group they have at their disposal is mediocre with only a handful of premier quality players and the coaches can only do so much. Recruitment and retention have been their major issues in the past 5 years with particularly prem colts or potential colts (TSS players and APS players) all opting to play for Brisbane clubs. The Breakers in the past have been there own worst enemy getting offside with local clubs and schools with a level of arrogance that has seen potential recruits spurn playing for the Breakers to go north up the M1. It also didn't help with the setup of the National academies being in Brisbane forcing a number of guys to travel and hence stay in Brisbane than have to travel from the Coast.
I also understand that O/S applicants are off the mark with the shortlist being mainly those based here in Australia. Word on the street is a number of the shortlist are sydney based which is a concern. Although they will have no baggage, they will also have limited understanding of the local dynamics and the challenges that will bring with it.
The change needs to happen though, it has been 3 years with the the same coaching and management group with little progress but it must be noted that the cattle that this new DOR will receive will still need a lot of developing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Bond is fast becoming the most resourced club.

Retention is obviously extremely important
So is a coach - The coach issue is being addressed with a reported package of up to $200,000. Is there any other clubs that pay anywhere near that amount ??? I don't think so.

The success desired will not come next year but more like I said in my previous post. I reckon the M1 will bhe busy with a bit more traffic heading south from Brisy.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Norths is an interesting case. They have struggled for years but with the change in demographic of people living around the club you'd think that they would start to improve financially if they can tap into this market.

I have a few friends who live near by and would walk down to watch games. They need guys like this to become active in their support and not just passive spectators.

Playing depth is another issue. What are the junior numbers like there? Is there an issue with transition from Juniors to Seniors? What is the oldest age group they have in Junior? All of these things have an effect on the senior teams.

Numbers for Norths juniors have hovered around 400 to 450 for the last few years however has a similar problem in retaining players moving to the larger clubs like the Seniors. Aspirational parents are forever moving their kids to the larger clubs like Brothers. The transition from Juniors to Seniors has been poor for a number of years with real tensions between the two groups however the relationship has improved significantly over the last 12 months. A pre colts pathway has been developed in the last few years and Norths currently has Div 1 U17 and U15 sides. The first group of the pre colts pathway boys will appear in Colts next year.

Nadroboy

Frank Row (1)
Yep will be interesting to see what movements there are for next year, also if it reverts to 8 team comp as rumoured ,where and if any players move.
Sure would be Dan54!! Especially if it reverts to an 8 team comp.. what have you heard??.. please, do tell??..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sure would be Dan54!! Especially if it reverts to an 8 team comp.. what have you heard??.. please, do tell??..
Wouldn't really like to say Nad, just heard stuff;), but if you think about it, 8 team comp gets rid of Bye, and makes things a bit easier to get comp finished with time to build into NRC etc etc.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
But it also reduces the number of players. If we only have 8 teams then the QRU wont be able to talk about how the game is growing, when it is actually receding. I think it is in everyone's best interest to keep the current 9 teams and look at a 10th team in coming years.

Logan has to be on the radar of the QRU. They have the facility and the player base. If they can set up a business model that works and have buy in from the community and different levels of government then they will be the logical step for growth.

T

Tigers Tale

Absolutely Jets with the advent of the NRC it is really important that Premier Rugby moves forward/grows. The bye isn't really an issue as most coaches/team look forward to the week off to recharge.

I really can't see it reverting to 8 teams - if so who goes. Let's get Logan in and give it a go - sometimes you just need to jump in the deep end.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Numbers for Norths juniors have hovered around 400 to 450 for the last few years however has a similar problem in retaining players moving to the larger clubs like the Seniors. Aspirational parents are forever moving their kids to the larger clubs like Brothers. The transition from Juniors to Seniors has been poor for a number of years with real tensions between the two groups however the relationship has improved significantly over the last 12 months. A pre colts pathway has been developed in the last few years and Norths currently has Div 1 U17 and U15 sides. The first group of the pre colts pathway boys will appear in Colts next year.

It looks like things are on the improve at Shaw Rd. As long as they can stick at it and have some consistency in their pathway then they should get there. A good head coach who sees the development of the Club as an outcome is required.

It wasn't that long ago that players would leave Sunnybank as it was seen as a limiting factor in getting selected for higher honors. Now players come here looking for that.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
What did you think George? Was a good day to be green on Saturday with all teams bar 3rd grade getting up.

Yeah not bad Jets. Didn't know there was a 3rd grade - didn't see that in the QRU program and got there for the colts game. The colts were good and the two grade games I saw were entertaining.

Sunnybank classy in both but Easts gallant. Execution by Easts was lacking.

The intensity in defence is a different than shute shield and obviously the player depth. But the rugby is entertaining, the grounds were good and that club house is something to behold.

Didn't realise how close that ground is to home also. So that's another plus.

Dragons seem well resourced and have some depth. There were quiet a few big boppers up front and in the midfield. The pace of the back 3 in all grades was electric.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Glad you enjoyed it George. Pity the season is coming to a close and there are no more home games in 2014.

T

Tigers Tale

George - feel free to hop in the car and drive over to Bottomley @ Coorparoo on Saturday to have another rugby experience when Easts take on Bond Uni in what will be Gotzinger day with plenty of the Gotzinger Small Goods products to sample!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok the qru and Griffith Uni will be covering the GPS v Bank game on radio. I will be providing the opposite of expert opinion to the main commentary team.

So this with local knowledge please feel free to give me some insight into both teams and key players.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While the top 4 are locked away it may be worth looking at the big game this weekend, Uni Old Boys v Brothers Old Boys.

Rumours of players taking part include Chris Roache, Nick Stiles, Pat Howard for Uni. John Eales, Rupert McCall and Pete Murray for Brothers. Along with these names are a host of others that played Club rugby in the 80's, 90's and 00's.

Game kicks off at 3pm at Uni on Saturday.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Ok the qru and Griffith Uni will be covering the GPS v Bank game on radio. I will be providing the opposite of expert opinion to the main commentary team.

So this with local knowledge please feel free to give me some insight into both teams and key players.

If you could mention the info below I'd really appreciate it Reg.

Ben Adams - Played for IGS and QLD schoolboys before coming to Sunnybank where he progressed through the 7's program to represent Australia on the IRB circuit. His knee has had more surgery to it than a Beverly Hills housewives face and apparently they are made entirely of meccano these days. Also there has never been a photo taken of him where he isn't standing shirtless holding a fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.