• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Im starting to come to the realization that Frisby's unavailability in the finals could be more costly to GPS than I first thought. His creativity and spark is exactly what GPS need at the moment whilst they're in the this lull, especially with Tuttle playing 10, having Frisby at the scrum base would have taken some pressure off the rookie.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth I have only ever partaken in Mad Monday's after we've won Prem/A Grade premierships which means I have had 3 more (in the last 20 years) than you would have had if you adopted the same approach. Sadly I think the Preliminary final maybe as far as you get this year!!

2014 - another season where the Filth come up short????

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog - I think in order to win a Grand Final you need a number of things have to go right for you and I just think that the unavailability of Frisby will definitely hurt GPS' chances (he was the spark that got them back in the 2013 GF) and I think Sunnybank are the side that are getting it together at the right end of the season.

Sunnybank have been more impressive than Uni in the encounters that the Tigers have had against the two heavy weights in 2014.

That driving maul try on Saturday was just something special even with my one eyed tigers glasses on I could appreciate that.

Sunnybank will have a good pack in the finals, they have talented halves and the Taps aside the rest of the backline is very skilful even though they are not household QPR names. If anyone is to top them they will have to do so with an amazing defensive effort and put them under pressure, because if they do it all on the front foot the will just roll you.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's a very different group at the Dragon's than I have seen over my last 8 to 10 years here. They seem a lot more determined and less reliant on the skill of individual players than they have in the past.

The best two pick ups in the off season have been Hirsimaki and Mitchell from the Stingrays. They just go all day and set the tone for the team. Along with Adams, Rochester and the other no-names they seem to relish the hard work.

The backline has been something else. I will continue to repeat myself but Henry Taefu has been outstanding. Everyone has contributed at different time and the return of McIntyre has taken them to another level, without trying to down play the great effort put in by young Mitch Third.

Talking to the players they are all loving playing at the moment and are excited by the upcoming games but they aren't looking past what they see as a tough away game at GPS this weekend.

The team aren't big noting themselves and are very focused on their next job.

And yes TT the 40m maul on Saturday was a thing of beauty.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
You will notice that Uni Reds players are returning for the finals. That means addition of Browning and McDulling to already strong forward pack. Absence of Gill and limited GPS and Brothers bench may be crucial. At the end of the day the strength and depth in forwards will decide the finals.

T

Tigers Tale

Yeh Redhead - no matter who you get back - Hanson, Browning, McDurling, etc - you are still going to have your hands full with that Sunnybank pack.

If I were Uni I would be very conscious of Sunnybank.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If I was anyone I'd be very conscious of Uni. Well clear at the top of the table and with depth across the team. Will be hard for anyone to beat them.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's going to be another tough year from Brothers in the finals.

However, the team this year is a lot stronger than last year.

I still think Brothers will surprise a few people.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The area where Brothers can really dominate other teams during the finals is utilizing their great backrow. Yes, Uni and Sunnybank may get a couple of Reds back but I believe the fact that the Brothers backrow has played together all year and remained largely unchanged works to their advantage. I highly rate their balance of strength and on-ball ability.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - once you make the semis you never know.

I know one thing - the Filth are more chance than the Tigers of winning the Hospital Cup in 2014.

Big Dog I agree - the Filth backrow is their strength and Payne plays a part as well.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This weekend out at St Lucia should be a interesting.

Big Dog, how do you reckon Jeeps will go against the Bank?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You reckon Sunnybank are beatable, TT?

Sunnybank for the past few years have been a real menace for the Brethren.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Filth I reckon it will be a close game. Last round of the year, special charity day down at Yoku will draw a big crowd and good atmosphere and the GPS boys will be looking to gain some momentum coming into finals.

Honestly I can't pick a winner, will have to wait and see what the teams look like on paper. Considering GPS know they are in the minor final though they may rest some players with niggling injuries.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
GPS are 2/2 against Sunnybank this year. Will be tough with a vocal crowd at Yoku Rd this weekend.

What are the chances of Thumbs Christie starting for the boys in Green and Blue? Would be a good battle between him and Sean O'Conner. Very good mates who wouldn't mind getting one up on the other.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Considering GPS know they are in the minor final though they may rest some players with niggling injuries.

Do you recon this is a good idea? Normally I'm not a fan but if it gives the Dragons a win then I'm all for it.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I personally would love Christie to start this weekend, IMO he's superior to Grasso and is also a great goal kicker which helps.

I don't think its Shane Arnold's style to rest blokes like that but you never know, I guess its all about the bigger picture but in saying that, last game of the year at Yoku is also a big deal and the boys love playing in front of the home crowd so probably won't want to sit out.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
It's a very different group at the Dragon's than I have seen over my last 8 to 10 years here. They seem a lot more determined and less reliant on the skill of individual players than they have in the past.

The best two pick ups in the off season have been Hirsimaki and Mitchell from the Stingrays. They just go all day and set the tone for the team. Along with Adams, Rochester and the other no-names they seem to relish the hard work.

The backline has been something else. I will continue to repeat myself but Henry Taefu has been outstanding. Everyone has contributed at different time and the return of McIntyre has taken them to another level, without trying to down play the great effort put in by young Mitch Third.

Talking to the players they are all loving playing at the moment and are excited by the upcoming games but they aren't looking past what they see as a tough away game at GPS this weekend.

The team aren't big noting themselves and are very focused on their next job.

And yes TT the 40m maul on Saturday was a thing of beauty.

Jet - How long do you imagine Third will be content playing 2nd fiddle to McIntyre? Surely Bond would be keen to see him spearhead the emerging coast moving fwd.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hopefully Christie will be good to play, calf injury kept him out of training yesterday, it's the curse of the half back down at yoku at the moment. A few guys will return from injury in the coming weeks which will bolster the teams considerably. Will be a great day down at Yoku on Saturday!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jet - How long do you imagine Third will be content playing 2nd fiddle to McIntyre? Surely Bond would be keen to see him spearhead the emerging coast moving fwd.
First year out of school and part of a very good Premier grade team for most of it. I'd like to think Mitch will be away from a lot of club rugby next year with U20 teams. I'm not sure Jake will be around after that as he'd want to pick up a Super contract and getting some game time.
If Third follows McIntyre's path then it won't be an issue as they will rarely be at the Club together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
First year out of school and part of a very good Premier grade team for most of it. I'd like to think Mitch will be away from a lot of club rugby next year with U20 teams. I'm not sure Jake will be around after that as he'd want to pick up a Super contract and getting some game time.
If Third follows McIntyre's path then it won't be an issue as they will rarely be at the Club together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So you think Third will be the QLD u20's flyhalf over Dalgleish & Tuttle. Big call as they're all very talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.