• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Then the question is, do we want a captain from the Rebels, or do we want one of the more experienced Club boys to take it, and give something to them.

Personally, as a third tier comp I really see this as a step up for the club lads, not a step down for the Super Rugby lads, if that makes any sense.

With that in mind, I would much rather see it driven by, captained by and culturally embedded by the clubland scene. That means a club lad to captain, and potentially club lads taking key positions, with the Super lads filling the gaps, mentoring and showing the club boys what the next step looks like.

I understand results will be nice, but frankly, I'd much rather have the Melbourne club players get a real sniff of how much opportunity there is to get to the big show.

If you are a decent club player who never thought a Super contract was possible, and suddenly you are playing next to a Higgers, or a Jones, etc, wouldn't it be great if that gave you the drive and ambition to really have a crack?

T

Train Without a Station

It needs to be driven from the top down Daz in order to be a viable television product which is what will sustain the competition. Looking at it as a step up for club players and super players filling in the gaps won't create the best product.

It needs to for the sake of the competition be super rugby players with fringe players still playing club rugby filling in the gaps.

D

daz

It needs to be driven from the top down Daz in order to be a viable television product which is what will sustain the competition. Looking at it as a step up for club players and super players filling in the gaps won't create the best product.

It needs to for the sake of the competition be super rugby players with fringe players still playing club rugby filling in the gaps.

Yes, I understand that, and you are right. My comments were really more of a "perfect world" wishful thinking.

For the Rebels, my real desire is that the talented lads slogging it out in the Dewar Shield finally see a genuine pathway to Super Rugby. If it awakens a desire to train just that bit harder, and sacrifice just a little bit more, knowing that Super Rugby is less a dream and more a reality, than as far as I am concerned it's job done.

My sentimentality is fighting against the commercial viability.

:)

T

Train Without a Station

There is a pathway. 40 players have already been training and on Friday the final 17 will be announced. There's an opportunity for approx 2 players per team to further their career right now. At least 7 of those 17 should make the 23 for round 1. More in cases of injuries. It's an exciting world Daz! I might have to strap my boots back on! The worlds craving for a Cinderella story of a 29 year old being plucked out of reserve grade!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How would it be a genuine pathway if they're selected above players who are much better than them.

Surely the big boost for those guys is getting to train and be part of a team with professionals, some of which have played for the Wallabies.

This competition is a golden opportunity for the young guys within the squad who get very little game time through the season to be pivotal players in this competition.

Rather than being thrown in the deep end out of position, Jack Debreczeni should get an opportunity to lead the team around in his favoured position at a level he is far more ready for.

I see this as being a huge thing for guys like him.

T

Train Without a Station

Really it's guys like him the competition are for. How many Super Rugby standard players are running around in club rugby? I'd say if lucky 1 or 2. As noted previously with all the systems and exposure good players do not go unnoticed. It's bringing these identified players closer to Super Rugby level that this competition is all about.

D

daz

How would it be a genuine pathway if they're selected above players who are much better than them.

Surely the big boost for those guys is getting to train and be part of a team with professionals, some of which have played for the Wallabies.

This competition is a golden opportunity for the young guys within the squad who get very little game time through the season to be pivotal players in this competition.

Based on that BH, what value a guy like Mitch Inman, who started every game this year and played almost every minute, running around the NRC? Your thinking would be that his understudy should get the gig in front of him. I'm saying a club lad should get the gig.

Not saying you are wrong, but it appears that the NRC will be trying to cover both yours and my methodology.

T

Train Without a Station

No. Players have to earn their spots. Players like Mitch who are good Super Rugby players are necessary to provide quality opposition and force players to improve their game to compete, and also to provide the benchmark to beat in order to get a game. It only works if the best players in the country fill the teams

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd guess that Inman would be keen to play and be part of the 23.

You'd think he wouldn't play 80 minutes every week though.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Personally, as a third tier comp I really see this as a step up for the club lads, not a step down for the Super Rugby lads, if that makes any sense.

With that in mind, I would much rather see it driven by, captained by and culturally embedded by the clubland scene. That means a club lad to captain, and potentially club lads taking key positions, with the Super lads filling the gaps, mentoring and showing the club boys what the next step looks like.

I understand results will be nice, but frankly, I'd much rather have the Melbourne club players get a real sniff of how much opportunity there is to get to the big show.

If you are a decent club player who never thought a Super contract was possible, and suddenly you are playing next to a Higgers, or a Jones, etc, wouldn't it be great if that gave you the drive and ambition to really have a crack?

Yeah baby that's the way I'd like to see it develop Australian Rugby.
But we can all have different development plans.

T

Train Without a Station

My thought is that way widens the pool, but drops the ceiling of where that pool gets to. I'd rather less spots and more development for the players who make those spots.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
All the club boys who have made it have known since Monday. They're not meant to say anything, but naturally there's rumours about. Most of the boys with feature articles should make it.

To the guys talking about this comp as a step up for club boys, not a step down but Super Ruggers boys, lets remember that plenty of those boys don't get regular starting game time and do need this comp.

D

daz

To the guys talking about this comp as a step up for club boys, not a step down but Super Ruggers boys, lets remember that plenty of those boys don't get regular starting game time and do need this comp.

That would be me.

I don't disagree with anything you said, and of course I agree that the younger Rebels boys need a comp like this to get the game time they don't get during the S15 season, but I am looking at the NRC through an idealised lens, hoping that this comp gives rugby in Victoria a consistent and sustainable nursery of talent to be harvested years down the track; perhaps one day even on a par with NSW and QLD.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Most of the boys with feature articles should make it..

well one would hope so, lots of wasted publicity otherwise ;)

so thats
angus hamilton
rueben rolleston
martin naufahu
neil walsh
joe kamama
greg bauer
ryan o'sullivan

and probably
fereti sa'aga
dale stevenson
bill valentini

any other probables

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
well one would hope so, lots of wasted publicity otherwise ;)

so thats
angus hamilton
rueben rolleston
martin naufahu
neil walsh
joe kamama
greg bauer
ryan o'sullivan

and probably
fereti sa'aga
dale stevenson
bill valentini

any other probables

Cutting the bullshit, how does Dale actually go?

Boys I know that have been up against him say he's strong but I've never noticed him on the odd occasion I see Quins play.

Status
Not open for further replies.