• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Continued decline in Sydney Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Honestly, you couldn't make some of this shit up if you tried. At senior level, people wouldn't even dream of this crap, but it happens in kids sport.

I am so disillusioned with junior club rugby, the way it's run and they way certain adults carry on, if I wasn't such a rugby fan, my son would be playing league next year.

Ditto quick hands.

I told my son this kind of BS doesn't exist when you leave school so don't lose heart, if you have the ability and commitment you will get there.
What annoys me is that I have to have the conversation.
I wonder how many kids get jack of it and leave the game.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
I am so disillusioned with junior club rugby, the way it's run and they way certain adults carry on, if I wasn't such a rugby fan, my son would be playing league next year.

My son played league for 2 years while playing rugby. He's in his 12th year of rugby & will never go back to league. Trust me its no better. I'd say its a fair bit worse actually. I shook my head on many occasions. It comes down to individuals involved in sport not the sport. Just remember the grass is not always greener. We just need to all do our little bit (whatever it is) to make a positive difference in this great game. No point whinging from the sideline. Get involved as a coach, manager, committee member or selector. These discussions are good. I hope the right people listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)

It wasn't village rugby that caused one of my sons to walk away from the game and to be honest I have a good few coaches, players, referees, parents and club administrators at village level to thank for supporting him.

Rep level was a totally different kettle of fish and when he lost his position to a player that the coach said had the 'x factor' he knew it was time to walk away. Especially after four games in the State Championships where 'X factor' made one tackle, gave one small push in a ruck, had a couple of short runs with the ball and got trampled by the opposition in defense. You sometimes get found out when you play up at the next level but some people are able to pick it beforehand, even without a video camera.

Some people may criticize kids for taking their bat and walking or saying they those that do walk away never had it in them in the first place. Many a top sportsman will tell you about the times they had their own doubts in their own ability and sometimes it doesn't take much to tip the scales either way. Many of these kids are athletes and will go to play other sports at a very competitive level or realise that the HSC is more important than a few games of junior rugby union.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
It wasn't village rugby that caused one of my sons to walk away from the game and to be honest I have a good few coaches, players, referees, parents and club administrators at village level to thank for supporting him.

Rep level was a totally different kettle of fish and when he lost his position to a player that the coach said had the 'x factor' he knew it was time to walk away. Especially after four games in the State Championships where 'X factor' didn't make one tackle, gave one small push in a ruck, had one short run with the ball and got trampled by the opposition in defense. You sometimes get found out when you play up at the next level but some people are able to pick it beforehand, even without a video camera.

Some people may criticize kids for taking their bat and walking or saying they those that do walk away never had it in them in the first place. Many a top sportsman will tell you about the times they had their own doubts in their own ability and sometimes it doesn't take much to tip the scales either way. Many of these kids are athletes and will go to play other sports at a very competitive level or realise that the HSC is more important than a few games of junior rugby union.

Bit harsh on " X factor " there Top Cat, he has been recognised by higher rep honours the last couple of years and by all reports performed well, probably lacking some size this year though. Your boy never lost his run on spot in the side was just ask to move position, where he also had a fantastic impact. You don't own any position and you need to be flexible in a team environment, if you are going to rant at least put the entire argument out there, we have all watched the videos.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
....No point whinging from the sideline. Get involved as a coach, manager, committee member or selector. ....

Opinions are a bit like bumholes; we’ve all got one and this place is full of them.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

So the answer is simple - rather than flap your gums on a website - step up & wrest control of the game you claim to love from the buffoons, who for good or for worse, are presently managing it!

Funny thing democracy – it only works if you participate.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
The only thing I would say against you MOTH is that positions on the SJRU seem to be held tightly and are handed out to a narrow band of like minded souls, at best.

WRONG - they are all elected, it's up to the people with a different opinion to rally their numbers - that's how a democracy works! As a start - every person on here needs to tell their club president / SJRU delegate what they think is the problem - I think you'll be surprised just how many presidents have a similar opinion - they just need to be introduced to the other members of the silent majority and then not take the BS answers / fob offs handed down by the poobahs of SJRU.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
WRONG - they are all elected, it's up to the people with a different opinion to rally their numbers - that's how a democracy works! As a start - every person on here needs to tell their club president / SJRU delegate what they think is the problem - I think you'll be surprised just how many presidents have a similar opinion - they just need to be introduced to the other members of the silent majority and then not take the BS answers / fob offs handed down by the poobahs of SJRU.

Well, in that case the dissemination of information concerning the option of standing for election is poor: I do not recall every being notified of an opportunity to stand for election.
Whether that is a fault on my part or not the SJRU should be actively seeking a wider range of people to contribute at the board level.
The broader the catchment the more difficult it is for vested interest to either hold sway or be seen to hold sway.
In community organisations, if not generally, appearance is everything!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Would have to agree about it being a "bit" secretive - their own annual calendar tells you when the NSWJRU AGM will be , but not when the SJRU one will be held. & transparency is not aided by the absence of an annual report since 2012. I think it has more to do with the convoluted membership / affiliation process. Club --> District --> SJRU

Attachments

• 2014 Events Schedule SJRU.xlsx
    55.2 KB · Views: 270

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Would have to agree about it being a "bit" secretive - their own annual calendar tells you when the NSWJRU AGM will be , but not when the SJRU one will be held. & transparency is not aided by the absence of an annual report since 2012. I think it has more to do with the convoluted membership / affiliation process. Club --> District --> SJRU

Copy and paste the link, this is the only copy of the SJRU constitution I can find in reading it I think if you are a member of the union i.e. club you can vote and nominate people for positions, but then you have the appointed positions from NSW, Southern, Northern and Western and who know who elects them to their positions. So if you got a group of like minded people together you could take over the place or at least have a substantial say in what goes no. You would need to do it is secrecy because if word got out there would be people coming from everywhere to vote you down. Sounds a lot like a number of village clubs I know of.

http://www.juniors.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/2007_Constitution.pdf

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My son played league for 2 years while playing rugby. He's in his 12th year of rugby & will never go back to league. Trust me its no better. I'd say its a fair bit worse actually. I shook my head on many occasions. It comes down to individuals involved in sport not the sport. Just remember the grass is not always greener. We just need to all do our little bit (whatever it is) to make a positive difference in this great game. No point whinging from the sideline. Get involved as a coach, manager, committee member or selector. These discussions are good. I hope the right people listen.

You make the false assumption that just because someone is dissatisfied that they aren't or have never done anything. Just to let you know, in the last 25 years I've coached village sides, district rep sides and at colts. I coached my kids in minis, but made the conscious decision not to do so at either village or rep level when my own kids were involved. It doesn't mean I don't help, I help the coach out whenever needed, run some drills at training every week and run the water at every match. I'm also the age group co-ordinator for the club. What I don't do is pick the team or the positions at either village or rep level, even though I'm probably more qualified and more experienced that those who are doing those roles.

I have no problem being a selector or coaching a rep side - just not when my kids are invovled. If they're going to make it, they'll make it on their merit. So I do get pissed off and disillusioned when parents get themselves into selecting roles and totally rort the system in favour of their own kid. (To the point where one selector was apparently shit-canning a kid from his own club in case he beat his kid) It invalidates the whole process and is one of the big things wrong with junior rugby. I was standing on the sideline with a league mate of mine watching what passed as a rep trial - 4 dads standing there with clipboards pretending to be fair-dinkum - he just shook his head in disbelief. Pick two trial teams - one of which was clearly stronger than the other and scored about 15 tries to 1 and just by co-incidence all the selectors and coaches kids just happened to be on the stronger team - who'd have thought.

mangled

Frank Nicholson (4)
They r in the middle of looking and slightly changing constitution. . All districts r being consulted!!! All clubs get sent to agm notice and agenda. . Cant blame sjru if it not passed on..

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The only thing I would say against you MOTH is that positions on the SJRU seem to be held tightly and are handed out to a narrow band of like minded souls, at best.

Committee members of organisations like the SJRU have uncanny survival instincts. Self-preservation of position is paramount. I had a tilt at this about 20 years ago - it's a war of attrition and most of us have far more to do with our lives that fight bureaucracy - so they always win.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
You make the false assumption that just because someone is dissatisfied that they aren't or have never done anything. Just to let you know, in the last 25 years I've coached village sides, district rep sides and at colts. I coached my kids in minis, but made the conscious decision not to do so at either village or rep level when my own kids were involved. It doesn't mean I don't help, I help the coach out whenever needed, run some drills at training every week and run the water at every match. I'm also the age group co-ordinator for the club. What I don't do is pick the team or the positions at either village or rep level, even though I'm probably more qualified and more experienced that those who are doing those roles.

QH I was not directing my post at you personally but rather using it as an example of the possible belief that League or any other sport will be void of the issues we face. You are a great example of what a lot more parents should be doing and that is to get involved not for your child but for the betterment of junior rugby. Cheers

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Bit harsh on " X factor " there Top Cat, he has been recognised by higher rep honours the last couple of years and by all reports performed well, probably lacking some size this year though. Your boy never lost his run on spot in the side was just ask to move position, where he also had a fantastic impact. You don't own any position and you need to be flexible in a team environment, if you are going to rant at least put the entire argument out there, we have all watched the videos.

I'm not being harsh Boof, just being very factual. Plenty of other things that I didn't mention but I'm sure that you will have seen them on the videos.

By 'higher rep honours' you mean NSW Country, for whom both my son's have played. A team whose selection process has totally baffled district players, coaches and parents, and the same team that were told 'we want to keep you together'. Your reports differ from mine and I was able to see firsthand at the U16 Nationals last year to confirm them.

I never said my son lost his spot in the run on side, I said he lost his position. As for being 'just asked to move positions', he was never asked at all, he was just put on the wing and told that the player who was replacing him had the 'x factor'. At least he can take some comfort in the fact that I was later told it was a mistake.

hank you for the 'where he had a fantastic impact' compliment but it wasn't on the wing that he had any impact because he didn't receive the ball. He was moved off the wing back to his usual position after 30 mins of the first game at State and then he had a huge impact, not because he played any differently but simply because a number of players passed the ball to him. (see comment below re passing). So all the impact was from his usual position. I took the time after the games to thank the players that passed the ball to him.

I agree that 'no one owns a position' but as a player you play to retain a position in a team and if you are going to be moved from a position that you have played at for years then you expect to be told why. Just being told that someone has the 'X factor' just doesn't cut it. As for being flexible, he always has been, he played in two positions for his last club and four at district level when needed . He wasn't going to accept being placed on the wing with the X factor and another player inside him who clearly for some reason avoid passing to him. Surely you have spotted that on the videos?. As stated to me, 'Oh! That has been a bit of a problem.

Actually, it wasn't a rant as I was very composed when I posted. As for 'putting the entire argument out there' I merely stated some of the reasons why my son walked away from the game. There was no argument.

Perhaps you can enlighten myself and my sons as to what this 'x factor' is? I have a 16 yld son who would like to be able to develop his abilities but can't seem to find it on the videos ;)

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm not being harsh Boof, just being very factual. Plenty of other things that I didn't mention but I'm sure that you will have seen them on the videos.

By 'higher rep honours' you mean NSW Country, for whom both my son's have played. A team whose selection process has totally baffled district players, coaches and parents, and the same team that were told 'we want to keep you together'. Your reports differ from mine and I was able to see firsthand at the U16 Nationals last year to confirm them.

I never said my son lost his spot in the run on side, I said he lost his position. As for being 'just asked to move positions', he was never asked at all, he was just put on the wing and told that the player who was replacing him had the 'x factor'. At least he can take some comfort in the fact that I was later told it was a mistake.

hank you for the 'where he had a fantastic impact' compliment but it wasn't on the wing that he had any impact because he didn't receive the ball. He was moved off the wing back to his usual position after 30 mins of the first game at State and then he had a huge impact, not because he played any differently but simply because a number of players passed the ball to him. (see comment below re passing). So all the impact was from his usual position. I took the time after the games to thank the players that passed the ball to him.

I agree that 'no one owns a position' but as a player you play to retain a position in a team and if you are going to be moved from a position that you have played at for years then you expect to be told why. Just being told that someone has the 'X factor' just doesn't cut it. As for being flexible, he always has been, he played in two positions for his last club and four at district level when needed . He wasn't going to accept being placed on the wing with the X factor and another player inside him who clearly for some reason avoid passing to him. Surely you have spotted that on the videos?. As stated to me, 'Oh! That has been a bit of a problem.

Actually, it wasn't a rant as I was very composed when I posted. As for 'putting the entire argument out there' I merely stated some of the reasons why my son walked away from the game. There was no argument.

Perhaps you can enlighten myself and my sons as to what this 'x factor' is? I have a 16 yld son who would like to be able to develop his abilities but can't seem to find it on the videos ;)

Well X Factor just made NSW u17s, well done to him and the 2 other Hunter boys selected

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
The argument that Chatswood/Gordon are acting within the rules is utter BS. Their cynical manipulation is contrary to the spirit of the rules and the game. (PS I believe Mosman/HH are playing the same game with the sudden disappearance of their Sydney/NSW schools all stars) The SJRU are part of the problem not the solution and equally culpable.

I have had heated debates on these pages over last year’s Sydney 15’s selections and to my disgust this year’s 16’s selections, following MWZ dominance, were even worse. The SJRU are a disgrace and should hang their heads in shame.

Fortunately something is being done about it. The MWZ boys will receive some justice and the ‘North shore elites’ with their SJRU sponsors will be exposed as the bozo’s they truly are come October.

Stay tuned!

Slugga, following the dominance of MWZ at the Regional carnival and the "interesting selections" that followed...I'm very much looking forward to the October comp most probably for many of the same reasons you are. Luckily someone did stand up and put forward a practical solution to ensuring those lads that were overlooked in the "selection process" for city and in some cases schools, will now get the chance they richly deserve to prove their abilities against their own cohort... bring it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.