• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
slipper very good recently but probably has to bear some of our scrummaging woes over the last 5 years?

So a player can't improve? Slipper is one of the best looseheads in the world at the moment, I reckon by the time the RWC is on he'll be the best. Kepu's performance in the French series + his last one against Wales in 2013 were some of the best tighthead performances I've seen, if he continues his rise we should be looking very good in the prop stocks come 2015. We just need some locks.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I couldn't have a Wallaby prop within a bull's roar of a World XV now or at any stage in the last 20 years.

Reckon Moore, Hooper and To'omua would be considered but probably ultimately miss for now. Izzy one of the first picked. Be great to get a few more names in contention leading into the Cup.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So a player can't improve? Slipper is one of the best looseheads in the world at the moment, I reckon by the time the RWC is on he'll be the best. Kepu's performance in the French series + his last one against Wales in 2013 were some of the best tighthead performances I've seen, if he continues his rise we should be looking very good in the prop stocks come 2015. We just need some locks.
No no they can, but id like to see how the scrum goes in RC first before talking about a Wallaby prop in world xv contention

T

Tip

I don't want a world xv front row, I want a front row that can compete against the worlds best. I'd take Slipper over the Beast anyday.

At the moment most wallaby spots for first bledisloe are filled in bar 5, 10 & 11.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
a world 15 is always so subjective. We certainly have a number of players that would be considered in the top 4 or 5 in their positions. Slipper is probably one of the most underrated players in world rugby. Beast is one of the most overrated imo. He had a really great Lions series 9 years ago.

T

Train Without a Station

I couldn't have a Wallaby prop within a bull's roar of a World XV now or at any stage in the last 20 years.

Reckon Moore, Hooper and To'omua would be considered but probably ultimately miss for now. Izzy one of the first picked. Be great to get a few more names in contention leading into the Cup.

So what loosehead currently playing would be?

Are you joking with To'omua? Based on what? His 5 good tests at 12 last year against 4 teams out of the top 5 or his 3 quiet tests this year.

I think he has potential to get there but saying his is worthy of discussion there is only somebody massively biased towards the player could say.

I'd have De Villiers, Nonu or Jonathan Davies for now thanks. Might change my mind when To'omua gets a chance to go head to head with the first 2 in a test environment this year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Well, I remember Benn Robinson being very highly a few years ago. 2009, I believe, he was rated the Wallaby of the Year, and I am pretty sure that a lot of good judges thought he was the best LHP on the planet around that time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not going to argue that Palu is World XV quality but I think his current fitness and form is showing why he's so valuable to the Wallabies.

If you look around world rugby, there are numerous excellent number 8s. They're star players in nearly ever team we play and when the Wallabies don't have an excellent one available we often struggle.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Its funny (as in humorous) looking at debates about "world best/class" players. If you look back on Wallaby sides with players held up to be world class/best which succeeded at RWC/Bled/multiple test win level people always argue about them saying good but not world's best.

Lynagh - held the points record etc etc but at the time many said he wasn't as good as others running around like Fox.
Campo - the man that has most polarised Australian supporters that despite his scoring record and unarguable abilities still manages to spark arguments about his world's best status, with numerous wingers/FBs over his career being listed as better, even within Oz players.
NFJ - same as above. Just not quite there apparently

Only two players seem to be above comment when arguments of this sort come up - Horan and Eales.

In a modern context I argue that the individual aspects matter far less than the group/team dynamic and the mode of play the team adopts. In most aspects this is the same Tahs side, in terms of individuals, that played some of the worst Rugby I have ever had to sit through, this year and last year though we see the dynamic has changed totally and individual execution is different. Have the players become innately more skilled, or is it about game plan and fine tuning the skills that these athletes already have.

This world class/best debate is largely redundant when you consider the individuals on such a basis.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Does anyone else here think that the match-up this weekend is that of To'omua v Beale? I reckon this game will decide the 12 jersey, Beale has been playing out of his skin, To'omua has been good too but was quiet in the tests v France. Link will have his eye on the 10/12 channel all night!

EDIT: I do concede that they could both make it and push Foley out..

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Does anyone else here think that the match-up this weekend is that of To'omua v Beale? I reckon this game will decide the 12 jersey, Beale has been playing out of his skin, To'omua has been good too but was quiet in the tests v France. Link will have his eye on the 10/12 channel all night!

Even if Beale outplays To'omua, To'omua will still hold the 12 jersey for his consistent ability on defence. Beale has been a shining light on attack but defence is still not a strong point - he will be exposed at Test level. Also It will be Lealifano Vs Beale. To'omua plays 10 for the Brumbies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Paul Cully's analysis of To'omua's make or break defence today was really good.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...a-strength-and-a-weakness-20140724-zw89o.html

In terms of the 10s and 12s, I certainly think Beale is battling Foley for the Wallaby 10 jersey right now.

The 9/10/12 combo of each team is going to play a huge part in the outcome of the match.

I see Nick Phipps' running of the ball to be vital in either taking advantage of To'omua's rush defence or forcing him to stay in the line more to give Foley and Beale more space.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
and I love the way Brumbies supporters on this site react when someone makes the slightest inference to the possibility of a Brumbies player being overlooked for test selection in favour of a non-Brumbies player!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

No not at all To'omua has a lock on 12. Because he is a great defender and can win contact. I also think Beale is the ultimate bench weapon, his outstanding coming off the bench. To his detriment of getting a starting spot.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
and I love the way Brumbies supporters on this site react when someone makes the slightest inference to the possibility of a Brumbies player being overlooked for test selection in favour of a non-Brumbies player!

I love it how Tah's fans think that their whole team should be the Wallaby side because they finished first. I didn't see To'omua play badly in the french tests, he was good we won 3 - nil, maybe a little quieter then end of year but still very good.

And it's not like To'omua's forms been bad since the end of the test window. 3 tries in one game and set up a heap against the Chiefs. Plus I personally think if someone's playing well and teams are winning they can't lose their Jumper.

Hence it will be 9 White 10 Foley , 12 To'omua, But if it stops working, then I see Phipps getting a crack at 9 and Beale getting a crack at 10 before he gets one at 12.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
another option of course, and probably the one that eventuates, is that Beale takes the vacant wing spot for the time being.

And yes Brumbies supporters, I am aware that Speight will likely end up there and I await the shelling re Tomane taking it for the time being :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.