• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Exactly. Izzy came in never having played rugby. In addition, Izzy struggled to adapt to AFL. Hunt has played Australian schoolboys in something like 2003, easily adapted to Top 14 Rugby 7 years later than adapted well to AFL where his biggest constraint has been injuries.

And with regard to the previous comments that Hunt isn't an elite rugby player, he is elite in skill level. Tactically he might take some time but his handling skills will likely be superior to most players here, thus improving that for us.
Fine let him prove it and then ask for a top up. If he does show he is worth it he will get it

T

Train Without a Station

You're right. In fact he should have to prove himself next season in the Shute Shield or Hospitals Cup before he's even worth contracting.

You're view is great if you're narrow minded and have no vision for growth and therefore no desire to attract the very best athletes. You're not closely linked to a Shute Shield club too are you?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Turnstiles aren't exactly spinning with people coming to watch Mowen and Douglas. Also they weren't actually offered more money overseas. Offers were comparable.

Also a major factor for Cummins was a short season.

None of these were because the ARU was just a bit short on what they were offering.

From the Australian:
NSW Waratahs captain Dave Dennis admits second rower Kane Douglas will be difficult to replace, but he does not blame him for accepting a lucrative offer from Irish province Leinster.
Douglas, 24, is poised to sign with Leinster after being offered an unsatisfactory top-up to his Super Rugby contract from the ARU.

From the SMH:
Cummins was released from his Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and Force contracts one-year early on compassionate grounds to earn bigger bucks in Japan to provide for his sick family.
But Foley clearly believes the ARU could've reached a little deeper into their pockets to retain one of the game's most recognisable faces.
"Australian rugby in my opinion got caught with its pants down letting him go to Japan,"

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was reported that Douglas would have needed to make the matchday 23 for every single Wallabies test this year to earn the same as he was offered by Leinster.

So between having over $200k of his income guaranteed or at the discretion of health and selections he chose the guaranteed salary.

T

Train Without a Station

And fair enough really on the Douglas one. He hadn't cemented a spot, at best last year when short on locks he was a bench option on tour. Why should he have been guaranteed income when he hadn't shown he could be a regular 23 player.

As I said, Cummins noted a major factor was the length of the season and the time he could spend at home. Per game it was up there with the very top Wallabies which he is clearly not.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So do you reckon they're waiting for the Reds season dinner or the AFL season end to announce it?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I find it strange that people think a top up will break the bank for the ARU. The money all comes lout of the one pool as per the CBA so any money spent on Hunt would be taken away from the pool for other players.

I am a big fan of Hunt coming to rugby and the Reds and am very happy the ARU aren't going to give him a top-up. I can't see them doing it to anyone in the future who hasn't come from rugby.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
TWaS, Izzy played a bit of rugby as young bloke, as do most youngsters with a PI background.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I find it strange that people think a top up will break the bank for the ARU. The money all comes lout of the one pool as per the CBA so any money spent on Hunt would be taken away from the pool for other players.

This isn't strictly true. Part of the problem in recent years is that the ARU were paying several percent more than what had been agreed under the CBA.

This was because salaries were based on projected revenue which then didn't materialise.

Even when the most recent CBA increased the players share from 26% to 29% of gross player revenue, I believe the ARU was forecasting a drop in overall payments due to decrease in test match payments and a reduction in the number of players receiving top ups.

T

Train Without a Station

Some cash yes, but he hasn't really played fullback a lot in his career. My memory of him was as a centre and a winger (I think he struggled under the high ball a lot) and Sam Perrett plays fullback for them. He is a converted winger though so I'm so they'd look at a replacement if one came up.

One factor I hadn't considered was beale's struggles under the high ball. This is even more important in league. I could see him struggling if he want across because of it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That frees up a fullback spot and some cash at the Bulldogs. Hoping its not for Beale.

Inuit mostly plays in the centres, Beale's rubbish under the high ball so forget about him as a fullback or wing. He'd have to be a centre or possibly 5/8 IF he does in fact switch.

EDIT: if & when this is confirmed I will endure The Sunday Footy Show, the outrage from Messers Geyer & Tallis will be priceless, if mostly unintelligible.

I do wonder, though, if the 'dogs are a good move for a guy with Beale's well-documented issues: by all accounts new CEO Raylene Castle is doing good things in terms of turning the club culture around but there's still a way to go & I'd hate to see the progress Beale has apparently made get flushed away.

You'd also be forgiven for thinking that maybe Beale owes the 'tahs* for taking him in when nobody else seemed willing to take the risk.

* auto-correct wanted to use "trash", usually it's " tags" - gotta love technology sometimes!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not for long if his previous is anything to go by, more clubs than a deck of cards that one.

At least it'll be fun to watch. If an NRL player of his standard (you could say he was 'good' but not 'great') then it certainly leaves us wondering about a fair few other NRL players who mightn't the headline grabbers.

T

Train Without a Station

The hard thing to judge about Inu is he ranges from exceptional to substandard.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The hard thing to judge about Inu is he ranges from exceptional to substandard.

Still, he's a case study worth having. There's no reason the Force/Rebels, who always have roster gaps, can't start considering making offers towards decent leaguies with skills that we identify as desirable IF this works.

After all, Vuna went okay and he wasn't that much of a standout in league.

T

Train Without a Station

He was the top try scorer in his last season and was considered a great attacking player.

Inu has probably had the biggest roller coaster ride of any player in the modern NRL player. He has absolutely carved up, only to leave his club after winding up playing reserve grade to start the cycle again. This is the 3rd NRL club he's left I think. I'd hope no teams rolls the dice on a player who can be as dire as Krisnan can, but I do take your point that there are some good fringe NRL players out there, especially in positions like the outside backs.