• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Can report that Country 14s beat ACT 14s by 17 - 0 in the curtain raiser to the Brumbies/Chiefs. The Country 14s have some big boppers in the forwards who were hard to handle and some hard tackling backs (including one who was carded late in the game for a lifting tackle late in the game). The next day at Griffith Oval I think the Country 15s beat a Canberra Club Side (not sure who) by one try. In the 16s I also heard two conflicting scores - Country beat ACT by 4 tries to 2, or it was a 17-17 draw.

Saw the Country 17s take on an U18s team from Canberra Wests and Country won by 5 tries to 0. Was a fairly dominant display by Country 17s against an older, but somewhat thrown together side from Wests. The Country 17s should be renamed "Ranga 17s" as there must be 6/7 red heads in the team - good to see! Was also good to see the presentations after this game and Wests being thanked for giving the Country boys a game ahead of next weekends big clash with Sydney up in Tamworth.

Its a pity Country haven't opted for some stronger opposition in these trial matches, bit of a waste of time if you are picked as the best in Country then do not get to test yourself against quality opposition. Well done to the 14's, the result was probably expected in the 17's these boys would match it with a lot of 18's teams. I hope the preparation has been good enough for all sides to push City next weekend.

Magilla

Frank Nicholson (4)
Its a pity Country haven't opted for some stronger opposition in these trial matches, bit of a waste of time if you are picked as the best in Country then do not get to test yourself against quality opposition. Well done to the 14's, the result was probably expected in the 17's these boys would match it with a lot of 18's teams. I hope the preparation has been good enough for all sides to push City next weekend.
It was a bit disappointing for the U17's to play a side that reportably is coming last in their local competition. Surely playing a 3rd grade colts team who had a bye on the weekend would have provided better preparation for next weeks City - Country clash.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
It was a bit disappointing for the U17's to play a side that reportably is coming last in their local competition. Surely playing a 3rd grade colts team who had a bye on the weekend would have provided better preparation for next weeks City - Country clash.

Yep all the way to the Gold Coast for a dud game now another one, at the end of the campaign Country and coaches etc can look back and say we were very strong this year and when making selections next year may say no need for changes, but is that really the case, we may never know if they can mix it unfortunately. It is a rather expensive impost on parents when boys are not being challenged.

sideline server

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree with your some of your sentiments Boof, not sure that the coaches would have had much say in the games they got handed by the powers that be.

Piller

Bob McCowan (2)
In regards to NSW Country U17 in Canberra yesterday, I personally would have liked a stronger opposition, but I am more pleased that all the boys came out of the game without any injury. The aim of these exercises or games I believe, is to prepare them for the game against the City boys next week in Tamworth. In saying that, a much stronger opposition will have increase the probability of injury for the NSW Country U17 boys, and deny them the opportunity to play against the City boys.

NSW Country U16 actually played a much stronger team in ACT and the score did reflect that. The score was 17 All. NSW Country U16 will be a much prepared team for next week’s game because of that, but they have lost their starting fullback. I believe an ambulance took him to hospital with either a dislocated or broken shoulder.

I guess we will definitely know by next Sunday afternoon if the NSW Country U17 not so strong pre-games were worth it?

Go NSW Country. hhhhhhhhhhh

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
In regards to NSW Country U17 in Canberra yesterday, I personally would have liked a stronger opposition, but I am more pleased that all the boys came out of the game without any injury. The aim of these exercises or games I believe, is to prepare them for the game against the City boys next week in Tamworth. In saying that, a much stronger opposition will have increase the probability of injury for the NSW Country U17 boys, and deny them the opportunity to play against the City boys.

I guess we will definitely know by next Sunday afternoon if the NSW Country U17 not so strong pre-games were worth it?

Sorry I disagree Piller, the boys need to play tough games against the best opposition they can find to learn how to win against tough, competitive teams, after all it is supposed to be the best of the bush v the best of the city. Probably should have been playing some city based sides.
The only way to avoid injury is don't play or train, which is certainly not the answer. Injury is the luck of the draw, he will be no less a part of the side for missing the game.
I would just like to see these boys really get to show us their talents its a fairly strong age group across a couple of zones with many very good candidates missing selection, meaning we have plenty of depth. So the pressure should be on.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
The schools' "Coast to Country Cup" tournaments for under 14s and 16s starts soon. This Friday there is a gala day being held to decide the winners of the Central Coast division. The top two sides qualify for the state finals in mid September - Look for St Edward's Gosford and Brisbane Waters SC to dominate both age groups.

Any reports from other zones as of yet?

I will post the results and any relevant info and pictures over the weekend.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry I disagree Piller, the boys need to play tough games against the best opposition they can find to learn how to win against tough, competitive teams, after all it is supposed to be the best of the bush v the best of the city. Probably should have been playing some city based sides.
The only way to avoid injury is don't play or train, which is certainly not the answer. Injury is the luck of the draw, he will be no less a part of the side for missing the game.
I would just like to see these boys really get to show us their talents its a fairly strong age group across a couple of zones with many very good candidates missing selection, meaning we have plenty of depth. So the pressure should be on.
If it helps city u17's had a hit out against a touring UK school (Trinity) and smashed them, the seond half was treated like a training session with City trying to play with some structure, so they didn't get much out of their game either. In all fairness to trinity it was their seconds, the city 18's played the 1st and it was a fantastic game which Trinity won.

Piller

Bob McCowan (2)

Thanks Boof. It’s quite alright to disagree, because we are all pushing in the same direction, in wanting the country boys to be as competitive and successful as they can be. Life never/hardly turns out the way we want, and I think these boys (coaches and supporting staff) have done the best they can under the circumstances to ensure the best result, come Sunday.

Megsy

Frank Row (1)
Not too much boof,I dont know much about rugby as im born into afl, but it shits me to tears seeing or hearing about the kids who have skills to die for, and talent to burn travel all over nsw to get next to no game time? Not in the country side but rep games leading up to selection, kids with real chances to potentially make the waratahs or wallabies yet get 10 mins a game?? I guess it might be a reason why kids change codes or give up?

rugbyconvert

Frank Row (1)
Thanks Boof. It’s quite alright to disagree, because we are all pushing in the same direction, in wanting the country boys to be as competitive and successful as they can be. Life never/hardly turns out the way we want, and I think these boys (coaches and supporting staff) have done the best they can under the circumstances to ensure the best result, come Sunday.
Maybe 1 way to keep the country sides competitive is to let boys playing in Sydney but still live in the country play for country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Maybe 1 way to keep the country sides competitive is to let boys playing in Sydney but still live in the country play for country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quite like the fact that we have a qualification process and don't get involved in all the crap that goes on in the city teams. You choose your pathway and if you want to play for Country you support rugby in the bush by keeping your talent in your zone rep team to be eligible for selection to NSW Country or NSW Country Schools. I'm a bit old fashioned that way, if you want to play in Sydney and mix it with the big boys then you haven chosen your pathway, trial for city, we don't want players to be able to fall back on Country selection just because it may be an easier pathway to a rep jumper for them.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
I think that the problem for Country rugby is structural.

What is needed in any sport is for the players to get good hard competition with players of equivalent standard, against players of equivalent standard, under good coaching. No other sport would think any differently. This is what the rugby schools have worked out, what the Sydney Colts program can provide and what the JGC is trying to do (but out of season). BUT what Country rugby won't provide.

Until it steps up and can provide this then Country boys will have to:
Go to a Sydney/Brisbane rugby school.
Get into a Sydney Colts team early (which is what rugbyconvert is talking about).

A way of providing this would be a for Country rugby to end the club rugby season near the end of August every year and run the rep program from late August to a large rep. weekend, the October long weekend (labour day). This would parallel the NRC.

In other words the rep teams would be selected from the club comps, then districts play each other in some form of districts competition (maybe 2 conferences) with a hard committed training program and with good coaching.

It wouldn't have to be done as I suggest, but unless the boys can play good hard rugby with players of equivalent standard against players of equivalent standard for say a min of 7 weeks, then they'll have to leave the Country system. A gala weekend and some dodgy games against variable opposition just doesn't cut it.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
I think that the problem for Country rugby is structural.

What is needed in any sport is for the players to get good hard competition with players of equivalent standard, against players of equivalent standard, under good coaching. No other sport would think any differently. This is what the rugby schools have worked out, what the Sydney Colts program can provide and what the JGC is trying to do (but out of season). BUT what Country rugby won't provide.

Until it steps up and can provide this then Country boys will have to:
Go to a Sydney/Brisbane rugby school.
Get into a Sydney Colts team early (which is what rugbyconvert is talking about).

A way of providing this would be a for Country rugby to end the club rugby season near the end of August every year and run the rep program from late August to a large rep. weekend, the October long weekend (labour day). This would parallel the NRC.

In other words the rep teams would be selected from the club comps, then districts play each other in some form of districts competition (maybe 2 conferences) with a hard committed training program and with good coaching.

It wouldn't have to be done as I suggest, but unless the boys can play good hard rugby with players of equivalent standard against players of equivalent standard for say a min of 7 weeks, then they'll have to leave the Country system. A gala weekend and some dodgy games against variable opposition just doesn't cut it.

Hughie, this most certainly is ideal but logistics play a huge roll in country rugby, regional NSW is a very large area, but they do need to come with something, I think an extension of JGC to 18s and 20s would be useful and the NRC needs and U20s comp attached.
Realistically it would only be boys from Illawarra and Central Coast playing Sydney Colts, I don't know of any from the Hunter ( that travel anyway ) and any other zone could forget it if they are not prepared to move to Sydney.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
I know logistics is a problem (I've been everywhere in my years following Country Junior rugby and enjoyed it, last year Wollongong to Moree). However if you had a Southern and a Northern Conference of say 4 districts each and played home and away, that is 6 games, only 3 away games plus the finals weekend. This is comparable travel to the existing system and I don't think too much. I don't want to be too defensive about this structure, as it is the hard competition and training that needs to be provided in some way.

I like the extension of the JGC program, as that is what the ARU is trying to provide BUT at the wrong time of year. Also why does the ARU have to step in to do this, why doesn't NSWJCU step up?

The Illawarra and Central Coast boys are lucky in that they can commute. I don't know what Tyler Key is doing but he's playing for Norths Colts. and there are lots of Country boys playing for Sydney and Brisbane rugby schools. It would be good if they could get what they want and stay living and playing in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.